How many BAVs have sleep-related laryngospam? how many have GERD?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BicuspidBuddy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello,

I'm pretty new here. I've been reading for a few weeks now. This site is a gold mine of info! I was wondering if anyone had the following concurrent symptoms with your valvular issues?

My husband has BAV with asymptomatic moderate/severe aortic stenosis. For years now, he has had sleep-related laryngospasm (where he wakes up suddenly during the first part of his sleep and feels as though he is choking/suffocating). He has a mild hiatal hernia. These symptoms were pretty much controlled with diet and nutrient supplementation until recently.

These symptoms have severely exacerbated because of the anxiety he is having about his heart health (even though he still plays basketball, runs and hikes regularly with no symptoms). We got a copy of the echo a few weeks ago for our own records and don't see the cardio for another 2 weeks. The results of the echo was the stimulus for the anxiety, even though he felt perfectly well before that.

Any similar experiences regarding laryngospasm and/or GERD?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Eva,

No, it's not sleep apnea. CPAP would do nothing for this problem. The next step would be a PPI. I believe he wouldn't need a PPI if his anxiety regarding his heart health wasn't so high at the moment.

It's nice reading how so many people on this site have had OHS and have done quite well and returned to their previous exercise activities. We are seeing a cardiologist in 2 weeks, and one for a second opinion in 2 months. I'm glad this forum is here in case we need to bounce off ideas.

Thanks

I do! I do! Somehow I missed this thread. Sorry for the very delayed response. I have GERD due to a hiatul hernia and it has worsened as I've aged. I also do wake up choking because if it frequently; although, less so since I made some changes. I put some segments of 2x4s under the headboard of our bed and I sleep, with care, using 2 pillows. This is not the best thing for the bed as it unevenly distributes the weight; however, it hasn't created a problem so far and it has helped. Unfortunately, I also have cervical spine problems and in April had fusion surgery on my neck, so I need to be careful about propping my head up too high. I've figured out a way to do it without straining my though and still further elevating my upper torso so that gravity helps keep the contents of my stomach in place. I'm watching for more effective and less invasive surgical options for hiatul hernia repairs. There is a promising one that involves magnets; unfortunately, that precludes any future MRIs. Not an option for this former athlete with too many orthopedic issues to mention.

Latest posts

Back