How long does it take to heal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
One of the topics people have asked me about is after a valve replacement "How long does it take to heal?" I've come to think that the question is misleading in that it presumes there is a date by which one is finished healing but this has not been my experience. Instead, I think it is better to think in terms of healing milestones because not everything happens at once. This is on my mind today because yesterday I had a checkup.

For those who know nothing of my past, my aortic valve was replaced in September, 2009 after several months of rapid decline. After surgery, my recovery went surprisingly well during the early months. A week after surgery, I was walking outside in my neighborhood and picking up the threads of my life again. I started driving at five weeks and began Cardiac Rehab at six weeks. At the end of six weeks, I returned to work part time for two weeks before I felt ready to work through the day. Around the six month mark, I had completed Cardiac Rehab and had been doing well until I began experiencing a very low pulse rate at least once every day; sometimes it dropped into the 40s. My Cardio agreed that I could reduce the dosage of the beta blocker, Metoprolol, which is frequently given to patients after heart surgery. A few weeks later, I was able to stop it all together and my pulse rate stabilized.

I began to feel much better after discontinuing the beta blocker but around nine months I noticed I was still experiencing periodic swelling, especially, in my legs and hands and sometimes I noticed I was short of breath. I was then diagnosed with "Diastolic Dysfunction" which it turns out is common after valve replacement. Essentially, the left ventricle can pump blood out normally but has become stiff so it cannot fully relax and does not fill properly. One then experiences mild congestive heart failure. The most obvious symptoms are the edema/swelling in the extremities and shortness of breath. This stiffness was caused by the heart trying to compensate for the bad valve; it did so by thickening which led to the stiffness. To treat this, I was prescribed a calcium channel blocker, verapamil, and an ACE inhibitor, lisinopril. It was hoped that with time, these would help my left ventricle to relax as it continued remodeling itself over time.

The checkup yesterday revealed that my left ventricle is showing significant improvement at two and a half years after my AVR. My doctor repeated what she said earlier that, formerly, it was believed our hearts healed for only a few months after surgery but it is now understood that remodeling can continue for at least several years after the valve is replaced. I think this is wonderful news for all of us. After the rapid changes in health we experience right after surgery, this slow improvement is more difficult to appreciate since it isn't visible day by day or week by week. Still, knowing that healing can continue for a surprisingly long time is very encouraging. As we learn to exercise more regularly and eat more thoughtfully, it is good to know that these changes in our lives are supporting our hearts' continuing recovery.

For me, personally, I've noticed that my leg are not swelling often and that I can wear the ring on my right hand again. I've also noticed in the past couple of months that the occasional shortness of breath has diminished. These are just indicators, however, that healing is continuing. I find this very encouraging as I hope you will also.

The potential for experiencing Diastolic Dysfunction also raises questions in my mind with respect to the timing of surgery. When we see in the report of an echo cardiogram the phrases such as "mild concentric left ventricle hypertrophy", we should ask what it means for us and our recovery. I think it would be well to discuss this openly with our cardiologists because as a heart valve degrades there is the potential for suffering long term and even permanent heart damage which will limit recovery to something less than full.

Larry

Amen Mentu (Larry)! I refuse to believe that at 6 months post op I've seen all the improvement I was going to get. Just common sense tells me that it takes the heart 3-5 years to really restructure and furthermore I would say 10 years to be solid. This is part of the reason I chose mechanical for me because if the valve does last 30+ years I would definitely enjoy the improvement of an efficient heart. Thanks for giving me hope Mentu that at 6 months my healing has truly just begun.

Larry
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Yesterday was my seven week post op date as well as when I started cardiac rehab. I'm hoping to go back to wk part time next week after I see my cardio on mon. Of course my right side swelled up after rehab and today the nurses were like that side still needs to heal so we will work on your stamina and strength building. Since i had the miniumlly invasive surgery thay did all the cutting of muscle,nerves and cartalidge and scar tissue form my previous surgery at 3mths. Your point that everyone is different and the heart is constantly changing is right on point and I just wanted to say thank you.

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing this, one more thing learned. To hear this is common will just help me with more questions, and maybe answers, which are always good.

Very well put Mentu. I admit that I was a little surprised myself, by the fact that the sternotomy was still healing more than a year later, still hurting when I worked out my chest. I too was pleasantly surprised at 2.5 years, to find that I had undergone further remodeling (improvement) since a year before. I feel that I've plateaued somewhat now, but may still find improvements somewhere under the hood by remaining consistent and diligent with exercise and diet.

Oh, absolutely, Larry. Spot on statement that is so important for those early in their journeys.

The healing takes place in stages and over much time. Sternum healing is one thing. Fitness is another, and dealing with the new/repaired pieces is another still. This is why I always encourage newer members to be as patient as possible with themselves and the process.

This is good to read. My cardiologist told me last May that I would experience "weird pains" for "up to a year". It's past a year (as of the 2nd of this month) and I'm still having some pain. That it can take longer than a year is oddly reassuring, given what I've been experiencing the past couple of weeks. Hoping for a good report when I have my echo next month.

Larry, I agree, a good post. As usual, this forum provides great insights from those who have had valve surgery to those who have it in their futures or are moving through the process further behind (like me at four months). I see my Cardiologist in a couple of weeks for the first time since the four week post surgery follow-up and I will be better prepared with questions after reading this string.

Dan

Hi, I had BAVR on 18 Jan 12. Here is a short timeline of recovery milestones that I was told to expect...feel great after only 3.5 weeks post-op and off prescribed pain meds unless I have a coughing spout....although close a couple of times, thankful that I haven't sneezed yet - whew.

FROM DATE OF SURGERY (post-op)

• No driving for 3 weeks (I have also heard others say 4 weeks)
• Sleep on back for 4 weeks (have extra pillows ready for your head, lower back, legs, etc.) – if your bed is higher than normal, may want to use step stool
• No lifting 5 lbs or more for 6 weeks• No repetitive use or strenuous use with your arms for 3 months (e.g. raking; shoveling; elliptical machines with arm movement device; etc.; etc.) – very hard for me not being able to pick up my children 
• After 3 months, I should NOT have any restrictions with little to no sternum pain associated with the surgery

Usually when that question is asked, most of what I find is that they want to know about the sternum healing first and that does take time. Most, it a year for the muscle to completely heal, mine did. I was so happy when it did, feeling more energy and healthier. The other healing does take longer and no one knows how long that usually take for sure, each person is different as you said and I agree whole heartily. My heart did not heal completely for 2 years. We had to wait it out of the CHF. I had it when I was waiting for surgery and the aortic valve completely closed to cause it. It has been normal size since the healing and been happy since then also. People have to realize there is more to just one healing from OHS. It take time also. Hugs for today.

Thx Larry

Great post!

Larry you were a huge inspiration to me pre-op and continue to be post-op. Thanks for the Phone calls brother!

Amen! I am at just under a year right now, and have had my 1 year checkup just this week. My cardio said the same thing; things look very good, and be aware that you are still in the remodeling phase and will continue to get better for years. Someone might consider making this post a sticky, so it stays at the top.

And I too shall add a big thanks. Just 2 weeks post and know it will continually get better. We were cleared
Yesderday To fly toflorida keys to recoup. So Have a few fun weeks of nothing to do here.

Thank Larry. And all. Nancy Jane.

I am seeing my cardio on Wednesday, 2 1/2 weeks before originally scheduled, 'cause I want some assurances about these twinges I've been feeling for the last month. About 56 weeks out now from my surgery. I will keep this thread in mind.

Thanks for the info Larry. It's something to watch for.

Interesting about the weight restrictions. I was told that the rules are being relaxed and the 5lb restriction has been raised to 30 lbs. I asked my cardiologist about this and she said that basically everyone has an opinion. She still suggested limiting things to lower limits. To be honest, I don't want to lift anything heavier at the moment. (sternum pain is still there at times)

I'm starting part-time work from home on Wed. Then....I'm milking the return the full-time as long as I can. But for me, I HAVE to do some work in order to maintain my bonus eligibility. (sigh) Good news is this is my 'light' time of the year at work.

Dave

Latest posts

Back