How long before you returmed to work fulltime?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, pumpkinhead, I guess things may have changed a bit. My cardio has long been warning me to stay away from the heavy weights, instead recommending lesser weights and higher reps. So that is just a pre-surgical change that remains in place. I am having some difficulty regaining my full stamina, but it is difficult to tell. The last time my heart was able to exert heavily, I was probably in my mid to late 50's. Now, at 65, some of my loss may be age-related. That is a tough one to discern. I'll never have six-lack abs and major muscle development again, but I will stay ahead of the other guys my age.

I guess a lot depends upon your age and how your body heals. I had some complications in surgery and recovery, and ended up with a pacemaker. That does some strange things in the gym. If I am lifting, the pacer will not increase my heart rate like natural pacing will. The pacemaker reacts to breathing rate and vibrations, but it does not react instantly. In lifting, by the time it reacts, I've completed the move. I found this out the hard way, when unloading a load of bagged rock chips in the yard. I couldn't seem to get into a rhythm, and was exhausted.

The other thing holding me back is knee pain. I used to run miles at a time, but now my knees just won't hear of it. I have had to give up the road work and the soothing miles on the treadmill, instead trying the Airdyne exercise bicycle and the elliptical. I get a good workout, but it is difficult to compare current results to pre-op results.

On top of all that, with the complications I had in surgery and recovery, I think my recovery is a bit slower than many. Finally, at almost 2 years post-op, I'm beginning to feel like I could push harder. I'm just going to exploit that feeling and see how far I can take it.

Well, pumpkinhead, I guess things may have changed a bit. My cardio has long been warning me to stay away from the heavy weights, instead recommending lesser weights and higher reps. So that is just a pre-surgical change that remains in place. I am having some difficulty regaining my full stamina, but it is difficult to tell. The last time my heart was able to exert heavily, I was probably in my mid to late 50's. Now, at 65, some of my loss may be age-related. That is a tough one to discern. I'll never have six-lack abs and major muscle development again, but I will stay ahead of the other guys my age.

I guess a lot depends upon your age and how your body heals. I had some complications in surgery and recovery, and ended up with a pacemaker. That does some strange things in the gym. If I am lifting, the pacer will not increase my heart rate like natural pacing will. The pacemaker reacts to breathing rate and vibrations, but it does not react instantly. In lifting, by the time it reacts, I've completed the move. I found this out the hard way, when unloading a load of bagged rock chips in the yard. I couldn't seem to get into a rhythm, and was exhausted.

The other thing holding me back is knee pain. I used to run miles at a time, but now my knees just won't hear of it. I have had to give up the road work and the soothing miles on the treadmill, instead trying the Airdyne exercise bicycle and the elliptical. I get a good workout, but it is difficult to compare current results to pre-op results.

On top of all that, with the complications I had in surgery and recovery, I think my recovery is a bit slower than many. Finally, at almost 2 years post-op, I'm beginning to feel like I could push harder. I'm just going to exploit that feeling and see how far I can take it.

Thank you for this reply... thats where I am having my confusion. I have one surgeon saying, "just keep the load light and do more reps"...the other surgeon says," your aortic valve tore longitudely not Latitudely..so when I replace it with the mechanical valve it took care of ALL the bad sections, your good to go as heavy as you like".....

so who knows, guess thats why its the "practice of medicine"

Pumkinhead, I am 50 years old...just turned 50 this month. I also lost muscle strength and stamina during surgery and recovery. I lost almost 15lbs. I was running 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week with a long run thrown in every other week or so between 5 and 8 miles. My regular runs would be in the 8 1/2-9 1/2 minute range and long runs 9.5 to 10.5. Now I can get to the 5k mark but time is way off and I can't seem to get it back and cannot run past the three mile mark. Mostly 2-2.5 miles. I was also doing pushups and a few pull ups (very few) and P90X on non-run days. Now it is all I can do to get three sets of 10 on the pushups and have not tried the other. Flexibility was very good prior and was doing some yoga. It's all but gone now and I have significant soreness in both arms when I lift straight out to each side and over my head like you do in a jumping jack. Arms straight out in front of me and over my head doesn't seem to bother me. I can speed walk forever and doesnt bother me and heart rate stays around 110.

Pumkinhead,
I think it's different with everyone in terms of how their body reacts. You need to visit with Vadim, "GymGuy." He is a competitive weight lifter and is back at it full force after 6 to 8 months post op.(I think that is the time frame, he can validate that for you.) I am now out 7 weeks today, and have begun some light lifting. I have been back at work since 4 weeks out, but I get very tired by the end of the day, and when I work out at a certain level I find my heart adding beats and rhythm changes. I think you listen to your body and take it as it goes. You may be able to lift heavier later, but it may take longer. This is my 2nd OHS, and it has been harder on me than I expected. I figure it's age, and the valve and just my body. I think again, the key is listening to your body/heart and take it where ever it lets you go. Just don't get too upset if someone on this site does it quicker as everyone is different with their situation and yours is unique to you. Good luck and Godspeed.
Tom

It always depends on the doctor and your healing. It take can actually take a whole year for the sternum to heal completely. But for working, I went full time when I went back. Wished coulda done at least two weeks part time before going full time. And it is the doctor for the other part. He/she decides if you are fit to go bake to work full-time or part-time. But I was the unlucky one, I was turned lose to go back full time. And I paid for it. Bending over the keyboard and slowly straignthen back up and went like that for what seemed like forever. But you do get better and depending on what you do for a living matters of when and how you go back to work. Hugs for today.

It always depends on the doctor and your healing. It take can actually take a whole year for the sternum to heal completely. But for working, I went full time when I went back. Wished coulda done at least two weeks part time before going full time. And it is the doctor for the other part. He/she decides if you are fit to go bake to work full-time or part-time. But I was the unlucky one, I was turned lose to go back full time. And I paid for it. Bending over the keyboard and slowly straignthen back up and went like that for what seemed like forever. But you do get better and depending on what you do for a living matters of when and how you go back to work. Hugs for today.

I just stumbled across this thread, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I hat an MVR at age 29, but I had complications due to (apparently) having had pneumonia going into the surgery. Post-surgery I was sedated on a respirator for ~2 days, and I spent the better part of a week in the ICU. After they released me from the hospital, I had substantial complications with my lungs, and even standing up from my chair and walk across the house was a challenge for ~2 weeks. No driving for 6 weeks in my case, although even when I was finally allowed, I really didn't feel up to it. I didn't return to work until ~11.5 weeks post-surgery (I worked until the day before the surgery, hence the half week), and I really didn't feel 'normal' again until at least a year and a half after the surgery. Honestly, I'm still not where I was 1 year before the surgery, but due to complications with my surgery, I don't know that I'll ever get back to that point. I can at least run, exercise, water ski, etc. etc. again ... just not with the intensity and duration that I used to (I'm permanently on beta blockers), and I still have issues with my lungs.

I guess my whole point is that it's a case-by-case basis. I read on here of people going back to work while I was still in the ICU, and I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy over their fast recovery. FYI, I did do a full course of cardiac rehab. It was essentially just a gym with somebody watching a heart monitor, but it was worth it for the peace of mind (I almost ended up on a pacemaker due to complications, and had continuing rhythm issues). The exercise itself also did a lot to help with recovery.

Danjayh raised a good point. We all recover differently from surgery and I was still in hospital 16 days after surgery and had a very slow recovery. I think it is important that we listen to our bodies and in consultation with our doctors decide when is the best time to go back to work. Also, no one should be hard on him/herself if recovery takes longer than what seems to be 'the norm'. Every circumstance and individual are different.

Latest posts

Back