How does a tissue valve fail / wear out?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don6170

Even though I am only 55, due to complications from radiation therapy and other factors, my surgeon is recommending a TAVI/TAVR instead of OHS and a valve replacement. Since this will include a tissue valve, and I hope to live beyond the typical valve lifetime, I was curious how a tissue valve fails / wears out. Is it a gradual reduction in performance that is picked up on echos, CTs, etc (similar to my real valve)? I am hoping it is not a sudden/catastrophic failure of the valve. Thanks.

Don, the way tissue valves are made and tested there shouldn't be any that fail suddenly unless there is a problem during the surgery. Tissue valve failure should cause the same symptoms you have been experiencing as your natural valve fails which is to say gradually over time. Also I believe that after Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement should the valve fail it can be removed and again replaced transcatheter. For most OHS patients in recovery, the discomfort comes from the chest being opened not the actual surgery on the heart so your recovery should be quite different. I hope you will let us hear more of your expierience, Don, since many of us interested. For those of us with tissue valves, we read about the prospects for our valves being replaced via TAVR.

Larry

The only thing I would keep in mind, Don, is that there are two main failure modes for aortic valves (and others, I guess). They can become stenotic, not opening as far as they should, or they can become regurgitant, allowing backward flow when they are supposed to be closed. Some can do both. Depending upon how your native valve failed, you may have similar symptoms if your new valve fails in the same mode, but possibly different symptoms if your new valve fails in the "other" mode. Either way, as Larry (Mentu) stated, the failure is expected to be gradual like a natural valve.

Back