How do I get "stats" on surgeons?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDLADY

How do I find out how many aortic valve replacement surgeries a doc has done and outcomes, etc? I have found some info on "healthgrades" but not on the docs I am looking for. Any help appreciated. I have been looking at (Dr. Chen at Emory), (Dr. Glower, wake forest) and (Dr. Kon, at Duke). Anyone familiar with them? Need a Doc with a lot of surgeries behind him.

I've never seen a site that lists each type of surgery the surgeon does by numbers and outcomes. Dr. Chen and Dr. Glower have both been mentioned on here before, you can find those threads by using the search tool on here.

Others might be able to point you in the direction of sites that have the specific info you are looking for.

Kim

The simple thing to do is call the surgeon's office and ask about the number of similar surgeries. I think it is less likely that you will be able to find information about long term outcomes. You could also call the hospital which should be able to provide you with mortality rates but probably not for a specific surgeon. You never know until you ask.

There are other means of collecting information, however, that may help give you a better feel for your surgeon. When I started asking around, I was introduced to a nurse who had been part of my surgeon's operating team before she retired. From her, I learned that he worked to create a quiet professional yet friendly atmosphere in the operating room and that nurses liked working with him because he accepted them as valued members of his team. You want a surgeon who is good but even more, you want the whole team working together.

Larry

Back