How do "bugs" affect you since OHS?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

I am amazed at how hard every respiratory bug has hit me since my valve (aortic and mitral) replacement nearly four years ago. I was in stage four congestive heart failure when I went to surgery, but I recovered pretty quickly and very well. My ejection fraction has gone from the low 30's to 55 and I feel good. But every blasted cold has turned into bronchitis or pneumonia--and quite rapidly. I was not like this before OHS. Does anyone else have this experience? Is there a reason for it?

Mike

I've always been like that, even before surgery. I think surgery just further deteriorates your immune system function a bit further.

I seldom get a cold, but they can be "dandies" when I do get one. I also have gotten a flu shot yearly for many years and I believe that helps. A few years ago I got a pneumonia shot and that may help keep "cold bugs" at bay.

Odd chimp out here .... my overall heath has been much better ... I have not had any respiratory problems since my AVR ... now I have quit smoking but I use to have sinus and respiratory things quite often ... three to four times a year ... knock on wood .... all clear since 2-08

My immune system is kind of crappy, so I'm extra careful to avoid "sickies" and being in public when the bugs are going around.
I also buy those little bottles of hand sanitizer gel.

It seems I'm very susceptible to bugs too. And I too get a yearly flu shot & starting getting a pneumonia shot 3 years ago. But, I inevitably still end up getting a bad cold almost every year & have to march myself to my PCP for antibiotics before it turns into bronchitis or something worse.

During flu season, I try to avoid big crowds or gatherings too & also carry sanitizing gels or wipes in my purse & use them after shaking hands, restaurants, grocery carts, etc.

I get a first flu shot in October- or when they become available- and a repeat one, as a booster, around about February. This has worked well for me.

I work in a public school, so I am exposed to all kinds of nasties. Cold season started early this year and I ended up missing a few days catching a cold from one of my lovely students. I do seem to be prone to more respiratory ailments since my surgery, but not sure if it's that, or the stress I've been under since then.

Latest posts

Back