Hot tubs and saunas -

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina L

I think this subject has been broached before, but I would like opinions on using a hot tub and/or a sauna if you have a valve/heart history.

We have a hot tub which I love, but recently read an article that such things can be hard on the heart and make it overwork, putting stress on it.

I do notice that my heart is pounding if I stay in the hot tub too long.

I read in the article that saunas are really worse for people with heart disease.

I appreciate all and any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Christina L

My opinion, join me. We can have so much fun!

Your fixed now, so I see no reason not to indulge.

You know - this could really turn into one of those sex threads.;) :D ;) For example - depends on what you do in that hot tub. :D :D :eek:
Seriously tho, we had a spa attached to our pool in California - used it all the time and it was pretty hot (the water that is).;) :rolleyes: ;) We often stayed in for an hour or so and I never had any problems. However, we behaved ourselves (at least until we got out).;) :D :eek: :D ;)
I have heard that really hot water could be an issue but I have never found it to be so. Perhaps you should ask your doctor.
Have fun.

I agree w/ Gina and would ask your doctor. I think there can be problems w/ the higher temperatures making the heart work harder. Lyn

Ross, I set you

Ross, I set you

up every time!! Gina, don't encourage him! ;)

Thanks for the responses regarding the hot tub. I guess the consensus is that hot tubs with too high of temperatures can be hard on the heart and that I need to talk with my cardiologist. :cool:

We keep our hot tub at a very high temperature - so hot you can't stay in it too long. Guess it's time to turn down the thermostat. :(

Ross, you have SUCH an active imagination - no wonder you can't get to sleep at night!!!

Gina, this is an aside, but what was the verdict on your eye problem you had last week? I hope everything is okay.

Christina L

Mike waited about 8 weeks until he went in the hot tub all the way, but now he's in it 4-5 times week. We keep ours at 100 in the summer, 101 in the winter. No problems and sometimes he'll stay in for an hour.

Indulge!!!! Or turn your thermostat down a little!!!

i think one area of concern is it lowers your blood pressure, if you are already on low side, may not make you feel very good.

We LOVE to hot tub :) Favorite is when it is about 10 below outside, it feel so good!

Nathan likes it HOT but we have it 102-103. What scares me more than the temp are BUGS. Pseudomonas thrives in hot tubs not properly treated, and I am always leary about that, but on the flip side I don't like it when the hot tub is so bleached that you can smell nothing else but bleach. We never use public hot tubs, at least not in a long time. We did on our cruises but not since. I think Nathan was in the hot tub at like 6 wks post op, hehehe.

Four weeks after surgery, I couldn't stand it anymore and indulged at 104 degrees for about 30 minutes or so. Hard on the heart? Here is the article:

By Harvard Health Publications

Sweating is an impulse that extends far back in human history. About 3,000 years ago, the Mayans of Central America used sweat houses for religious ceremonies and good health. Nearly every culture has its own way of using heat for relaxation, therapy, and ritual; ancient Roman baths, modern Turkish steam baths, and trendy American hot tubs are but a few examples. One of the oldest ? and hottest ? of these techniques is the sauna. Saunas have been used for thousands of years in Finland, where nearly a third of all adults take them regularly. And saunas are increasingly popular in the United States, where over one million are in use.

Popularity is one thing, safety another. Are saunas good for your health, or can they be harmful?

Inside the box

The modern sauna is a simple unpainted room with wooden walls and benches. Heat is provided by a rock-filled electric heater ? and it gets plenty hot. The recommended temperature rises from about 90°F at floor level to about 185°F at the top. Unlike Turkish baths, Finnish saunas are very dry, maintaining humidity levels of just 10%?20%. Water drains through the floor to keep things dry. In a good sauna, an efficient ventilation system exchanges the air three to eight times an hour.

Inside the body

Experienced sauna bathers usually stay inside for periods of 5?20 minutes; after a cooling-off period, some return for a second session. And people in the know always remember to drink plenty of fluids after their saunas.

The dry heat has profound effects on the body. Sweating begins almost immediately. The average person will pour out a pint of sweat during his brief sauna, but it evaporates so quickly in the dry air that people may not realize how much they perspire. Skin temperature soars to about 104°F within minutes, but internal temperatures rise more slowly and usually stay below 100°F.

Changes in body temperature are easy to understand, but the cardiovascular responses to heat are even more important. The pulse rate jumps by 30% or more, allowing the heart to nearly double the amount of blood it pumps each minute. Most of the extra blood flow is directed to the skin; in fact, the circulation actually shunts blood away from the internal organs. The blood pressure is unpredictable, rising in some people but falling in others. All of these changes resolve quickly after people cool down.

Although a sauna may help you relax, your heart is working hard while you sit on your bench. Is that safe?

Hot tub safety

Hot tubs are cooler than saunas, with average temperatures between 100°F and 104°F. If saunas are safe, hot tubs should be, too. Indeed, a study of 15 men with stable coronary artery disease showed that 15 minutes in a hot tub produced less circulatory stress than 15 minutes on a stationary bike. In addition, a study of 21 people with hypertension found that while sitting in a hot tub lowered the blood pressure, it never approached unsafe levels.

To enjoy a hot tub safely, follow the same guidelines as for saunas. And be sure the tub is clean and well chlorinated to avoid folliculitis, a skin infection that can result from poorly maintained hot tubs.

The heart of the matter

Much of the information about sauna safety comes from Finland. A 16-month study of 1,631 heart attacks in Helsinki found that just 1.8% developed within 3 hours of taking a sauna. In another investigation of all 6,175 sudden deaths that occurred in 1 year, only 1.7% occurred within 24 hours of taking a sauna ? and many of those were related to alcohol.

Do studies from Finland, where taking saunas is a national pastime, apply to sometime bathers in other parts of the world? Canadian researchers investigated sauna safety in 16 patients with proven coronary artery disease. They compared the effects of a 15-minute sauna with a standard treadmill stress test. None of the patients developed chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms, or EKG changes with either type of stress. Heart scans did show impaired circulation to the heart muscle of most patients, but the sauna-induced changes were milder than the exercise-induced abnormalities.

Saunas appear safe for patients with stable coronary artery disease, and a small study from Japan suggested that two weeks of daily saunas may even improve vascular function in patients with stable congestive heart failure. Still, heart patients should check with their doctors before using saunas. People who can perform moderate exercise such as walking for 30 minutes or climbing three or four flights of stairs without stopping will likely get an okay, but patients with poorly controlled blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, unstable angina, and advanced heart failure or heart valve disease will be advised to stay cool.

Other organs

Although saunas affect many parts of the body, most changes are brief and mild. For example, elevated scrotal temperatures reduce sperm production, but there is no evidence that regular saunas impair fertility. The dry air does not harm the skin or lungs; in fact, some patients with psoriasis report relief from itching, and asthmatics may experience less wheezing. All in all, saunas appear safe for the body, but there is little evidence that they have health benefits above and beyond relaxation and a feeling of well-being.

Sauna safety

A few simple precautions are important for healthy people and heart patients alike. It is important to avoid alcohol before and after your sauna. Avoid anticholinergics and other medicines that may impair sweating and produce overheating. Don?t overdo it; 15?20 minutes of a sauna is a reasonable limit for most folks. Cool down gradually afterward; although some cultures advocate a cold plunge, it produces considerable circulatory stress and should be avoided. Drink two to four glasses of cool water after each sauna. Above all, listen to your body. Don?t take a sauna when you are ill, and if you feel unwell during your sauna, head for the door. A cool head is the best way to keep your hot sauna safe and enjoyable.

I do a steam room at the club I belong to on occasion. It's great for muscle aches, but I generally limit myself to no longer than 10 minutes or so. I agree with you, Christina, that we valvers need to watch ourselves and listen to our hearts, especially if they're beating too fast.

Thanks Melissa for the article

Thanks Melissa for the article

and everyone for your advice. I know what we need to do - turn down the thermostat a few degrees and also I should limit my soak to 10 minutes or so. That is doable!

Christina L

Latest posts

Back