hot flashes at night post op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beha

sorry to keep asking questions- but I guess thats why you guys are here.
Basically every night since my surgery (though it has gotten worse since I got home) I wake up at least once in teh middle of the night totally drenched in sweat. Sometimes I am hot or sometimes I am already shivering b/c i am soaked with sweat in a cool room. Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be? It's getting really really annoying. I have been taking my temperature regularly and am never running a fever even when I feel like I am burning up (same thing in hospital- burning up but no fever). I thought it might be a reaction to the pain meds (percocet- the only thing I am taking at night now). But I dont understand why I would have the same reaction during the day when I take the meds.
It is really negatively affecting my sleep.
Thanks guys

Could be the percocet. During the day you are moving about so the medication getting distributed through the body faster. However at night, you are still and so the medication may be lingering around. I had sweats from Darvocet, but not from Tylenol with codeine. But I'm not a doctor so maybe you should give your doctor a call.

You're not on Prednisone, right? It can cause night sweats and the rash that you mentioned in another post.

Otherwise, getting drugs (anesthesia, etc.) out of your system takes effort on the part of your body, so this is normal. Your hormones also get screwed up when you have major stress or trauma to your body, and could also cause this. Give it some time.

I had sweats like that for about a year after OHS. Mainly at night I would wake up and be soaked. I mentioned it to my cardio dr and he acted like it was no big deal and it would pass. Which it did now I just have the HOT flashes mid life thing.:rolleyes: I really think its our hormones in our body after OHS they've been through alot of trauma.
Hope your doing good otherwise.

Yup, I had them, too. I was told it was the narcotics (I was in the hospital for 15 days post surgery). Also, your body has been through the ringer. If OHS can mess up your blood sugar to where they give you insulin (I got it 2 or 3 times the first couple days, and was told that was normal. I'm not diabetic), then why not the other hormones?
Beware, those narcotics also cause constipation.

I had lots of these sweats...at the hospital, they blamed the blankets, but I was feeling cold all the time. At home, there were no blankets and I was afraid I was having mini heart attacks because of the cold sweat...but doctors did not care as long as I did not have fever, sob, or other symptoms. You shall be fine soon.:)

I just got home from surgery yesterday, and had sweats day and night at different times while in the hospital. They weren't sure why I was getting it, and one nurse even asked if it was possible I was starting menopause......nice thought when your laying in bed feeling like a truck hit you....since I've been home I've only had it once. Hope yours starts subsiding and goes away.

Night sweats after OHS - many threads about this, very common. It's a real treat, isn't it?

No, it's not likely from the percocet, as everyone gets something different for pain control.

It seems to be the body getting rid of the anesthesia or a deleyed body reaction to the low temperature the body is brought to and kept at for the surgery.

Best wishes,

I just got home from surgery yesterday, and had sweats day and night at different times while in the hospital. They weren't sure why I was getting it, and one nurse even asked if it was possible I was starting menopause......nice thought when your laying in bed feeling like a truck hit you....since I've been home I've only had it once. Hope yours starts subsiding and goes away.

Wouldn't you like to drop-kick people who ask questions like that?:mad:

It is very normal,,They do get better with time,,I promise you. The men (doctors) who think its no big deal should be ,,well,,lets just say ,meant to suffer!

I was having sweats day and night post-op. They began in the first 24 hours after surgery and didn't stop till the day or two before I was discharged(I was hospitalized 16 days). The worst episode came when I was sent back to ICU. I couldn't stop sweating.

I was going to ask this too. It's driving me crazy.I am either freezing or drenching in sweat.I have a down comforter on the bed and it's on & off all night.

Back