hospital bed useful for home use?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roncul

[SIZE="4"]I'm wondering whether or not to rent a hospital bed after my surgery. I do have a recliner, but it requires a lot of body strength to get it to recline. My bed is very soft (a Duxiana) so I think I may have problems getting on and off that for awhile. My surgery is scheduled for Apr. 5 at Columbia-Presbyterian.

Any thoughts?
[/SIZE]

Bed

Bed

There have been a few folks here who've done the "rent a hospital bed thing" and done okay with it. It's probably not inaccurate to state that most of us made do with furniture we already had in the house.

Recliners have worked well for many members. Sleeping on a sofa worked better for me than my recliner. I slept on the sofa for several months after I got home. Some members have even reported doing just fine in their own beds following surgery.

-Philip

An electric recliner would suffice....but I bought a daybed, which was set up in my main floor office.
We put a large bolster type of pillow under the head of the mattress so that it wasn't totally flat. I still needed help. :(

Geezz those hospital beds are so uncomfortable! I slept in my own bed the first night, didn't sleep much but toughed it out....within a week as long as I stayed off my left side I was fine! Good Luck!

Mileena

Both my OHS, I slept in our bed right from the start. The first days/week or so, I used many pillows but very quickly was back to my normal one king size pillow. While you are in the hospital, they will teach you how to get in and out of bed. We have a recliner but I never once wanted to use it. I was just fine in our bed.

Took naps in the recliner, but slept in my own bed each night. Really did not like the hospital bed. An extra piilow or 2 does help.

I'm 56. I think I'll try my own bed when I get home, but I may use the recliner if the bed doesn't work. I usually sleep on my side, so I think the recliner might help me to sleep on my back. Thanks for the replies.

I never wanted to see anything that reminded me of the hospital! :) I slept in the recliner because I would sleep awhile then wake up then sleep, moved to my bed after a few days with a lot of pillows! Good Luck!

I slept in my recliner for a few months. I was plenty glad to leave the hospital bed at the hospital. :)

Getting in and out of the recliner was tricky at times. I improvised some sort of maneuver that involved sliding forward out of it instead of lifting. Of course, it is very helpful, if not critical, to have help the first few weeks.

Latest posts

Back