Hope I'm Making The Right Decision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't expand on the already well covered subject, but am able to relate completely. I am about 10 years younger than you (47) and am 8 weeks post-surgery today! I really didn't feel that bad, either. As a matter of fact, like you, I was really very bummed at the thought of having this major surgery when I felt fine. I was afraid my life would change for the worst, and I wouldn't be able to do the things I loved. Though my cardiologist says it will be a full SIX months before I really feel the full impact/benefits, as JUST 8 weeks I feel great! I was in the hospital just 3 days, and was at work full time 3 weeks post-surgery. Yes, I have experienced some bumps.....it is a MAJOR surgery.
The key is, and I am sure all will agree, do plenty of research on your surgeon, understand all of your options, plan for the event, have a great support team (significant other/family members, friends) and invision what you want as a result. Positive attitude is a wonderful medicine. Hell yes, you will cry the morning of, you may even question the "higher" authority-all perfectly normal-but when it comes down to the event, BE POSITIVE.
Look at all of us who have been there.....WOW! This is the best site ever for support and knowledge

Like everyone else, I had no symptoms. I had congenital aortic stenosis, but refused to believe 4 cardiologists and 2 surgeons that it was at the severe level. I spent 8 months getting opinions, and finally decided that they couldn't all be wrong. So I had AVR at Cleveland Clinic 12 weeks ago. The wait and dread were worse than anything post-op. Xanax helped a lot in the weeks leading up to the surgery and the morning of surgery itself. I had a relatively smooth recovery, but don't feel any better now than I did before. I'm just so happy that it's over!! Focus on getting it done, and don't worry about every little thing unless it actually happens. I was so concerned about stupid things and so pre-occupied by what ifs. You're going to do great!!

With aortic insufficiency I was a-symptomatic. If I was'nt being monitored I could have believed my ups and downs were only BP and age related. Was swimming 45 minute workouts severals days a week two months before surgery. But I remembered the story about the frog and boiling water. Throw it in and hell jump out. Put it in cold water and slowly turn up the heat and he'll never realize he's about to be the main ingrediant in your Anura soup. Being a-symtomatic is like the latter.

Better to get out of the pot before it's too late.

Best wishes and prayers.

Vincent (54)
BAVR with 27mm ON-X with aortic conduit NYP Weill Cornell Dec 19, 2008.

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice. Decisions that affect your health and wellbeing are ultimately yours and your doctors. vprnet

I had a couple of fainting spells (actually laughing and then collapsing). it started to hit stronger and stronger to the point from working out for 2 hours to not being able to walk across a parking lot without having to sit down.

Hi,
I can definitely relate to your concerns. Two months ago I was doing an aerobic workout 4-5 days/week and now I am having AVR surgery on Feb. 12th. I had no symptoms but since they told me I need the surgery I have noticed shortness of breath. I'm sure that's all in my head though. (must be in denial) I have met my surgeon once for about 1/2 hour too but I take faith that they don't let just anybody do this kind of surgery and my cardiologist referred me to him.
I have learned much from this forum and am very glad to have found it.
I wish you luck for a speedy recovery and I'll see you on the "other side"
Ian

What I'm trying to say is I'm putting a lot of faith in a person(my surgeon)who I've meet for a total of thirty minutes.

I think it's a good thing that you didn't need too much face time with your surgeon. I saw my surgeon about a kazillion times because he couldn't figure out what to do with me. That is NOT an ideal situation. Take your short visit as a sign that he's absolutely sure about the best way to fix you.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.You know my biggest fear is not the surgery itself its the after effects I've been reading about.Like how will I tolerate the medications I will be on.Right now I very seldom even take a tylonal for a headache.I already had a bad experience with the Atenol my surgeon prescribed.Had the spins and legs felt rubbery and only took one pill for two days.Also the arrythmia's people describe.I don't know how I would react if my heart starts racing or feel it skipping.I've never had any problem with chest pains or anything else with my heart.

I too thought I had no symptoms, blamed it on being 68, close to 69. Excellent physical condition. Former power lifter and a gym rat forever. Thought the fatigue was a function of age! Starting getting bouts of A-fib. In looking for the cause they found I had a severely leaking aortic valve and and a dilated ascending aorta (5.7cm).

Had surgery on August 5th of 08 at Stanford. Was in and out in 6 days. Was in A-fib again for 15 days post op. They stopped that with medication. Do not worry about skipped heartbeats or a-fib. It will keep beating and there are many treatments out there for it. They say 1/3rd of patients can get it post op.

I'm back in the gym again, but at lighter weights. Power lifting career is over!
So, take it slow post op, and you'll find out in the end it's not that big a deal--really!! Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

Just a little rant for now.One week out and it's starting to get a little scary.Went from playing basketball and volleyball two months ago to facing open heart surgery in one week.Still have absolutely no symptoms at all.I know my first symptom could be I drop dead,understood.I could also be hit by a car tomorrow and be killed or live another thirty years and never have a problem.What I'm trying to say is I'm putting a lot of faith in a person(my surgeon)who I've meet for a total of thirty minutes.I guess all you can do is gather all the information they give you and hope you make the right call.Well to borrow a phrase Tiger Woods uses I just hope my surgeon and anesthesiologist both bring their A game to the table on the 11th.Thanks for letting me vent a little!!!!!!
I would suggest you get a 2nd opinion and if necessary even a 3rd until you are completely satisfied that the echo techs or techs can establish very close to the same numbers of the original assuming those numbers are what were used to recommend surgery intervention.

Good luck!

Making the right decision

Making the right decision

Know exactly what you mean.My surgery is scheduled for the 26th Feb(AVR and pulmonary vein isolation).Feeling well,mostly asymptomatic.Believe in the workup tests,they wouldn't do surgery unless it was warranted and it is far better to go into surgery being relatively asymptomatic.This all bodes well for a speedy recovery.I keep telling myself this anyway.My best wishes to you.

Latest posts

Back