Home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Birky

Has anyone had any luck in getting a home tester with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Lance worked on this a few years ago for me, but wondered if anyone had better luck with them. They would not give Lance a definite answer if they would pay for it or not. Any help is appreciated, Marcia :D

I didn't have BC/BS when I got my machine, but I do now and don't have any issues with them covering my testing supplies. It does depend on what type of BS/BC you have, I'm told. But it's worth having Lance and QAS give another run at it.

Bc/bs

Bc/bs

We have BC/BS Federal Employees Program. I have just sent the paperwork to the cardiologist to sign and fax it to QAS. I did call BC/BS before filling the paperwork out and they gave me the 80/20 quote. She said it is found in the employee handbook of covered benefits under durable medical equipment.
Kathy

I have BC/BS, had no problems with the insurance. All handled thru Dr.s office. Has a lot to do with how your Dr. fills out paperwork I'm told. Travel distance, difficulty in drawing blood, work schedule etc. I have had mine a month now, I love it and it's so very easy to use.
Good luck.

Will let you know...........

Will let you know...........

I also have Blue Cross and we are in the process of trying to obtain a home test machine now for Katie. You would think that since she is four that they would figure out that it will be much cheaper for them in the long run, but then that would involve common sense...............sigh! Will keep you posted. Hugs and good luck.. J.

I too am in the process of waiting back from BC/BS to hear if i can get a home testing machine.

Im courious though... what Brand are you guys all trying to purchase? I talked to my doctor about the INRatio machine. I would love to hear what others are buying!!! OR should i say TRYING to buy!

Diesel :confused: :confused:

Diesel said:
I too am in the process of waiting back from BC/BS to hear if i can get a home testing machine.

Im courious though... what Brand are you guys all trying to purchase? I talked to my doctor about the INRatio machine. I would love to hear what others are buying!!! OR should i say TRYING to buy!

Diesel :confused: :confused:
Right now, there are only two choices, Protime or INRatio.

The INRatio is a bit newer technology and has quality checking built into the test strips. The Protime is larger and takes more blood to sample, but seems to list for less currently (may be a factor if the insurance covers only a portion, or none; but the difference is not all that large, depending on where you look).

I have bc/bs and Michael did have to fight for me at QAS with bs/bc....I started the process in July of 03....got my protime December of 03.

I applied in October 2003 for a ProTime 3, got it the day before Thanksgiving 2003. Process was very very quick. At that time, my insurance paid 100%. Now, it would pay 90% after my $200 annual deductible. But that's still not bad...

In Indiana, BCBS is called Anthem, but its the same organization and they have approved home testing devices in the past. I have some hassel getting supplies because of how my supplier must submit the claims but we eventually get it worked out and they have always been paid, albeit later than desirable. Hope this helps.

This is my first time hearing of this home testing. I have Health Partners Insurance and spend an awful lot of money keeping my INR at 3.5-4.2 (AVR St Jude). What is the process to get a home testing kit?

The vendor/provider handles the paperwork -- QAS, Raytel or whoever. Give QAS a call. They'll fax your doctor the appropriate forms -- certificate of medical necessity, I think 2 scrip forms (1 for machine, 1 for testing supplies), etc., etc.
QAS has a link here and can give you more details about the procedure.

Latest posts

Back