Home testing at last!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

I think most people know that I'm new to this site but just wanted everyone to know that because of you all, I'm getting an INRatio machine in a few days. After reading about so many of you all doing your testing at home, I decided that after 24 years of being on Coumadin and going to the lab, it was past time for me to do it myself. I'm really excited! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. My cardiologist was very supportive of the idea and it appears my insurance company is also. I may have some questions once the machine gets here, but I'll know exactly where to come for advice! Thanks, Linda

Linda,

How long did it take once you decided to do home testing to get the docs OK, the Ins Company OK and then place the order?

- John

Linda,

I did the same thing last December. I had been on Coumadin for a little over 24 years and got inspired by VR.com. I didn't think I would be able to get everyone on the same page (doctor, insurance, etc.) but I did.

I have the INRatio and LOVE it.

Have fun and Merry Christmas (almost in July). :D

John, I was in my cardiologist's office on Tuesday to have my defibrillator checked and I asked the technician if any patients in their office home tested their INR's. She checked with my doctor's nurse and the answer was yes. The nurse said she would run it by my doctor and she called yesterday saying he was fine with it. I researched which machine I wanted on the computer and then called my insurance company yesterday afternoon. They gave me names of companies that are in our network that deal with these machines and I called one them. They said I needed to get the doctor to fax a prescription to them which the doc. did this morning and now we are waiting for the precertification from the ins. company. I don't think this will be a problem because when I spoke with the ins. people, they said as long as it is medically necessary it would be fine. They just have to do the paperwork. Since everything seems to be done by fax, hopefully it won't take long at all. I know going through all the phone calls to different people sounds like a lot but I'm so glad I've gotten the ball rolling on this and really, it isn't that much of a hassle. I guess I've waited this long because in my mind, I thought it would be a real headache. The nice thing is that the nurses in my cardiologist's office are very efficient and they seem to stay on top of things. I'll keep you posted on how things go and how long it takes to actually get the machine. If there are any other questions I can answer, just let me know. Linda

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You will love it!! May you have MANY years of use with it.

Evelyn

PS....We love our Coaguchek.....can't imagine life without it.

twinmaker said:
Evelyn, Thanks...I can't wait until it gets here so I can start using it!
You can always run to the drug store and get a lancing device and poke holes in your fingers until it gets there! :D

One thing I'd recommend. Get 30ga lancets instead of using those 27ga they give you. You don't need a cannon hole in your finger to get the sample.

Thanks for the good advice! I really don't look forward to poking my fingers, but it's got to be better than the lab digging around trying to get into my scarred veins.

Shoot a 30ga in your middle finger and it's hardly noticable unless you puncture the wrong spot. The 27ga isn't too bad, but it hurts a touch. No comparison either way to vein sticks!

Linda

Linda

My Cardiologist was also the one that approved my having a home testing machine....2 months after my surgery.....I have had my Protime now for 3 years..No problems with it...I home-test..every 3 weeks..but only call in my INR to Cardiologist nurse every 4 weeks. (That's all she wants..) so I use my 3 week INR to tell her...My INR doesn't change much....I leave it on her answering machine and she always calls me back that afternoon..when office closes. We have become good friends... :) I have never had to change my doseage..because i have learned how to tweak it..High..eat more greens, ect...Never been below my range of 2.5.....My secret to getting my blood to flow. Leave your hand under hot water for a long time. I have 2 minutes before my protime wants me to prick my finger. So, I usually do this for 1 minute..45 seconds..dry hand/finger good..Prick my finger below my waist...and the blood flows good...I have to blot the first drop..but still have a huge drop to put into lancette. Works for me everytime. :D Bonnie

Ross,

I've been using a 21ga lancet and it only hurts a little (and I am not sure hurt is even the right word). Except for the time when I hit the wrong spot on my middle finger - ouch, big time. :mad:

I sometimes have trouble getting blood to flow with the 21ga, I wonder if it would flow at all with a 30ga?

Bonnie, thanks for the good advice. It's nice to know that you all are here for me and have the experience of home testing under your belts. Like I said before, I'm looking forward to not having to run to the lab. I have to be tested once a week, because my INR is usually all over the place. The people at the lab are very nice but my veins are not so friendly if you know what I mean. Linda

Linda

Linda

I bought my Protime from QAS and I order my supplies from them (Cuvettes and lancettes)..They both come together per order...QAS tells me when mine will be shipped in a cooler box.. Usually takes 2 days from the time (date) they tell me. I have to be home..(FedEx) and put them in my downstairs fridge. Cuvettes must be in cooler..but not lancets..but I put them both in fridge.....and take them out an hour before I test..I order 25 per order. Lasts me a long time... so don't have the hassle of having to be home when they arrive. :D Bonnie

geebee said:
Ross,

I've been using a 21ga lancet and it only hurts a little (and I am not sure hurt is even the right word). Except for the time when I hit the wrong spot on my middle finger - ouch, big time. :mad:

I sometimes have trouble getting blood to flow with the 21ga, I wonder if it would flow at all with a 30ga?
I sometimes have a little trouble with the 30, but not very often. I guess we should say, try both and see what works best for you?

Why not start today? That way, you can see if you can bleed or not. Wouldn't you be disappointed if you don't bleed? :eek:

Latest posts

Back