Home INR testing equipment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DrumAce

Hi,
I'm looking for a home INR testing equipment that doesn't need extra testing materials such as costly test sticks. Can anyone recommand on such a testing equipment? :confused:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For patient self testing, no, unless you can afford a laboratory system.

Most home testers have found that, even with the expense of the testing supplies, they save money, save time, and gain a great deal of testing freedom which gives them a heightened sense of comfort. I'd hate to see a potential home tester give up simply because the supplies wern't free. Guess that's my bias showing through - hope this changes your mind, :)

Unfortunately we Coumadin users don't get the tiny little testers that diabetics do.

The INRatio system seems to be the smallest and easiest to operate so far. But all require strips and sticks.

But as Chris said, those of us that home test find that we keep our INR and dosing on track much more easily than going to labs or clinics. I know for me, it doesn't have to do with the ability of the lab, but my "ability" to get my butt there and get the test. Home testing has been a huge improvement in my Coumadin management.

QAS, one of our sponsors, does a great job of working with you and getting the ball rolling with your insurance. Many insurance companies do cover at least some of the cost. I would do it even if my insurance didn't cover it.

Best wishes

I have to test my INR just about every week. I've only had my INRatio machine for a couple of months and even though you have to get the test strips, etc., it's well worth it. It's been so hot here in Florida recently (I know, it's been hot everywhere lately) and with the intensity of the sun, we tend to stay indoors to avoid the heat...just like we used to do in Nebraska and Maryland to avoid the cold and snow. Anyway, at three this afternoon, I remembered that I needed to test today and in the past I would have had to get out and go to the lab, wait, get a vein draw and then drive back home. I don't mind as much getting out in this heat if it's something that I WANT to do, but when you HAVE to go and do something that you don't want to do, then it's different. I tested at 3:15, called my results in to the nurse at my cardiologist's office and she called back with my coumadin dosage within 30 minutes. I'm blessed with the fact that the nurse always calls back within 30 minutes. And my two cardiologists and the nurses in the office couldn't be happier that I'm now testing at home!

Being the devil's advocate/troublemaker that I am, I'll pose a question to the twinmaker. What if your doctors office used email, and you learned enough about dosing, etc to set your own dose. Then you could make the changes, notify the nurses of your INR and the new dose and of course give them the opportunity to override your numbers. Wouldn't that be an even slicker model than just self testing ??

I've been thinking about that. My doctor's office does use e-mail and I just might try to learn how to dose myself. I know Al has lots of info on how to do this and if I start learning, I'm sure I'm going to need some help from his web site and you all. Linda

I dose myself. I don't even call in my INR to my dr. unless it's way out of wack, which hasn't happened more than a few times. The people here, and most importantly Al, have given me enough practical information and guidelines that make me secure in taking care of it myself. I figure if diabetics can dose themselves, then many warfarin users can too.

I keep my INR logged in a chart w/ the corresponding dose and I take my chart in for my 6 mo. checkups w/ my cardiologist. We go over it a bit, just to touch base.

I think most docs would be more comfortable with the call-in of the results because of potential liability issues. I know one that feels that he is still responsible for me even if I am setting my own dose. My ProTime logs all the past results for me but I still log them in my calendar along with the date of next test due. A simple system, but it works for me.

I don't know about the potential liablity for a PCP who encourages his patients to self test and self dose. I only know they tell me only those patients really help them...those that self dose and don't bothr the office.It depends I guess on how well the PCP knows the patient and trusts them.

ccrawford said:
I think most docs would be more comfortable with the call-in of the results because of potential liability issues. I know one that feels that he is still responsible for me even if I am setting my own dose. My ProTime logs all the past results for me but I still log them in my calendar along with the date of next test due. A simple system, but it works for me.
In my case, I was having trouble getting my local coag-clinic, and hence to some extent my doctor, to agree to self dosing. It wasn't until I wrote them a letter accepting primary responsibility for my testing and dosing that they rolled over. To some extent that would be CYA, but they had a valid point in that everyone needs to understand who is supposed to be doing what.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience of home testing with me.
I guess I have no choice but to purchase a home testing equipment because it does sounds like a life improver.
Tal. :cool:

I don't think you'll be sorry. I have never seen a post on this site from someone who tried it and went back to lab testing. Let us know how it goes.

Am I the last person here to have a monthly lab test? I've attempted to deal with QAS as well as my insurance co. directly -- to no avail. I haven't met my deductible this year (guess that's good), so I have to front the $1500 +/- for the home-test equip.

I hate going to the lab, (there are no readily available Coumadin Clinics), but it costs me less than $15./month and I'm out of there in less than an hr and haven't needed to go more than monthly (which worries me in the infrequency). Question -- should I splurge and buy a home-test machine?

INRtest said:
Question -- should I splurge and buy a home-test machine?
Only you can answer that. Personally, if you can afford it, I would. Testing yourself gives you so many freedoms over lab testing, that to me, this alone is worth it. Of course, if you can't afford it, that's a whole different circumstance in itself.

I'm hoping that shortly down the road, the medical community will wake up and begin a solid campaign for home testing, so that so many folks won't have this problem in the future.

I don't know what you have tried to date, and how your insurance company deals with it, but sometimes your just have to keep trying. Qas is usually pretty effective in cutting through the red tape so I'd keep in touch with them, then as a last resort, pay for it yourself if need be. Mine took awhile too, but I'm sure glad it all got done. Hope this helps. :)

INRtest said:
Am I the last person here to have a monthly lab test? I've attempted to deal with QAS as well as my insurance co. directly -- to no avail. I haven't met my deductible this year (guess that's good), so I have to front the $1500 +/- for the home-test equip.

I hate going to the lab, (there are no readily available Coumadin Clinics), but it costs me less than $15./month and I'm out of there in less than an hr and haven't needed to go more than monthly (which worries me in the infrequency). Question -- should I splurge and buy a home-test machine?

You have to build the case for your need to have your own machine. In my case, my PCP said that because I have a mitral valve, I require a higher level of anticoagulation & am at higher risk of clots, I will be on warfarin indefinitely and I travel frequently, a potential situation for inconsistency in diet.
My insurance company OK'd it on first submission.

Another reason for having your own machine is being able to run extra tests when you are ill (diarrhea, vomitting), change your diet (go to a low-fat one to lose weight), start or stop Rxes/OTCs, have a steroid shot, etc. Those things can throw your INR off. My PCP tells me to test before I start a med, then about 3-4 days after to see if I need to adjust my warfarin.

WOO HOO more great info for me ....THANKS ALL!!!!! Im going to purchase the inratio monitor (wish I had insurance) this week and start home testing. I am tired of giving that much blood each week at the lab instead of a small pin prick. Your info really helped and once again Thank you all!

QAS - Home testing

QAS - Home testing

Thank you all. I'll try talking w/ insur. again on Mon. They say that it falls within my deductible, hence I'm responsible (this is also what QAS came up with). I'll use some of your arguments and see what can be done.

Latest posts

Back