Home from hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie'

Hey guys - Just got home from hospital last night. Cant believe I was in there for 12 days. Sorry I didnt write sooner, but really wasnt in any shape to do so. Has been pretty exhausting but now on the road to recovery. Was in surgery for 9 hours and on heart bypass for 4-5 hours. That was on Friday 7/30. Had a fabulous team of surgeons and doctors. Had a few complications which resulted in a longer stay. My right lung collapsed a day or two after surgery (which was extremely painful). Also ended up with a low blood count. They decided not to give me a blood transfusion as they said I am young and healthy and better for body to make own blood, but will take several months before it rebuilds so will be exhausted during that time frame. Now just mainly have pain down the sternum where the incision is. Very limited as to what activities I can do. Say I cant drive for 6-8 weeks. Was there several days trying to get my INR in range. Was 4.4,5.8,1.6.1.4, 2.9, 3.0. Very glad to be home and out of hospital. Still trying to adjust to the fact that I can hear the mechanical valve beating very loudly - kind of freaky - and messing with my mind somewhat. Completely exhausted.

Sorry you had such a tough experience, but hope things smooth out for you now. There have been a lot of posts about loud heartbeat after valve surgery--for most it doesn't last.

So good to see you back and know you are safely home. Hope you get good coumadin management so all that bouncing around stops. Sounds like they withheld doses and shot you up and down like a yo-yo.
The utter exhaustion from this surgery is so hard to fathom until we experience it but you will quickly get your strength back and will feel so much better.

Your job now is breathe (with your spirometer), walk, eat and sleep.
Best wishes for a bump free recovery from here on out.

wow - that story sounds all too familiar although my cardio argued for the transfusion and we did it

my red count is still low and it does hold your breathing back

I echo everyone everyone above you MUST do your breathingt and walking

my coumadin management is not an issue now - so don't worry about that

guess what? i freak over the sound too - others will tell you it's music to their ears :) it does get better!

Well done on getting out of hospital. You've done the hard bit hopefully and it's now time for an uneventful, boring recovery. My operation was only 9 days ago and I really feel as though I'm getting better day by day - I really hope that you start to feel the same now that you're back home. Your own familiar surroundings will help no end as will the devoted support of friends and family. I am aware of my heart thumping away but it reminds me that I'm alive :) .

Sorry about the hard time, but sounds like you're over the worst of it. Now you can sleep in your own bed - makes a huge difference! I understand about the ticking valve being a little freaky, but it becomes white noise at some point, at least when you're not thinking about it. I can still hear mine if I think about it, but for the most part I don't even notice it anymore. Never has kept me from falling asleep or anything, but now that I'm back to work, I often wonder if people can hear it when I'm trying to play it cool, but things are tense or stressful. If they can hear it, they can probably tell my blood pressure is rising lol. But welcome home, get lots of rest and do your breathing/walking. Get better and keep us posted!

My guess is that if your surgery was THAT long and you were on the pump for so many hours, like me, you had a big hunk of aorta replaced too, no? I underwent hypothermic total circulatory arrest with retrograde brain perfusion, which I gather most AVRs don't, due to the aortic arch grafting.

Also, I was anemic immediately post-op. Even with a transfusion, which at least kept me from keeling over, I was pretty weak for a month or two. I assume you are taking oral iron or PREFERABLY they gave it to you IV in the hospital. I could not tolerate oral iron at all - BAD constipation. So, I did the next best thing - actually better - STEAK 3 times a week. If your arteries and cholesterol are good, do that. It will speed up your recovery from anemia. Adequate iron not only helps recovery from anemia but has been shown to help in cardiac muscle function, so get that iron one way or another. http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa0908355

Don't worry too much about the ticking valve right now. Your anemia and post-op cardiac condition are making this much more promionent than it will be later. Mine pounded like the devil until I recovered. Now, it's just a light thump and not bothersome.

Hope things level out for you and you get a nice recovery like I did.

Latest posts

Back