Home from hospital-again!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

Well, the afib didn't quit, so my primary told me to come see her last Monday. She immediately stuck me in the local hospital. I had some fluid build up around the heart and lungs and couldn't breath good. My afib was clicking along at about 140 bpm.

They gave me a drug to try to convert me and it apparently had a bad interaction with the meds already in my system. I "flat lined" 5 or 6 time over a several hour period. Each time, the rate would would go from about 140 or so to zero, stay there for a few seconds, and then slowly start up again, going back to the 140 range. It was quite exciting.

They kept me 5 days. The fluid appears to be gone. The afib hasn't come back and they have me on another med called toprol for at least a few months. With the maze procedure I got as part of my OHS, all that should go away in a couple of months.

But, it was another 4 days in ICU and 1 day in a regular bed, and the toprol really saps my energy.

Just a little bump!

Surgery was two weeks ago today and the incision is doing great.

John

I'm really sorry to hear about your bump in the recovery process, John. I'm so glad to hear they have things lined out now and you're back on the road to a smooth recovery.

So sorry to hear what you've been through. Sounds pretty miserable. Hope you have an uneventful recovery from here on out. Thanks for letting us know how things have been going for you. Take good care.

Well that had to be pretty darned scary!

Sounds like they put you on a pretty serious antiarrhythmic. Do you know what it was. When I was in CICU for one of my one week stays prior to my VR the man in the room next door was in to start a new antiarrhythmic and I was up all night listening to him code and get jump-started - about 6 times. My cardio's comment was "This is why we hospitalize you to start some antiarrhythmics."

I'm glad the afib is gone!

Oh, John ... very sorry about the bump in your road to full recovery.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

John:

Gee, some people will do almost anything to rate a couple of extra days at those resorts others call hospitals.;)

Seriously, sorry to hear that you had to go back in, but glad that you're on the upswing (again!).

My husband won a couple of extra days in the hospital because of a-fib. Surgeon slapped him on amiodarone :)mad: ), but it didn't work for him. John left the hospital with scrips for toprol (like you) and warfarin.

Take care of yourself!

The drug was cardizem. I just read up on it a bit. It doesn't convert one from afib to normal rythm, but it does decrease the rapid HR.

Today things seem pretty good. Walking is pretty easy and there is no pain to speak of in the incision. The rest is going to be downhill all the way!

67walkon said:
Well, the afib didn't quit, so my primary told me to come see her last Monday. She immediately stuck me in the local hospital. I had some fluid build up around the heart and lungs and couldn't breathe good. My afib was clicking along at about 140 bpm.

They gave me a drug to try to convert me and it apparently had a bad interaction with the meds already in my system. I "flat lined" 5 or 6 time over a several hour period. Each time, the rate would would go from about 140 or so to zero, stay there for a few seconds, and then slowly start up again, going back to the 140 range. It was quite exciting.

John

"it was quite exciting"??? Now THAT'S an UNDERSTATEMENT !

What dose of Toprol are you on? Is it Time Release (XL) or regular?

When I complained about lethargy on 100mg of Toprol, my cardio had me cut my dose in half for two weeks. I felt MUCH BETTER and my arrhythmias (PAC's) were still under control. Ended up with 25 mg of Toprol XL which worked quite well for a few years.

Karlynn: Do you know what anti-arrhythmic was being used on the patient who coded all those times?

'AL Capshaw'

Hey 67, just a note to tell you to hang in there. I had choice words for my a fib after my surgery because I had just gotten out of the hospital and the last place I wanted to be was right back in there. Your right about the cardizem, it isnt so much an antiarrhymtic as it is an agent to slow your heart rate from 140 (which can be downright uncomfortable) to a normal rate. Going to 0 is little low however. Tikosyn is what I am on now and it really seems to have helped. Hope and pray that you'll do well.

Things are still going smoothly here at home, thank God. No more afib and no more flat lining.

My strength is coming back, but I'm still a little hoarse. It will get better, I know.

John

Home from the hospital again!

Home from the hospital again!

John,
Glad you are home from the hospital again!! Tropol is a good medication. I take it daily for my condition. I think you will like it. Please make sure you take it in the AM - It tends to keep you awake. Look at me - here it is 1:02 in the morning and I'm up / can't sleep.
I truly hope you feel well soon - I'm home from the hospital just a few days. Surgery AVR on 7/12 and home 7/17.

Carolyn

Yikes! John, could you pick a little smaller "bump"? :eek: That's no "bump", that sounds like a "foothill".

Sooooo glad you've still got a great attitude, sending all best wishes your way. What finally kicked the afib for you, do you know? Was it the 140/0/140/0 experience? Geez, that's not one that sounds like fun.

Stay outta them hospitals, ok?

Ruth

John,
Wow! That sounds horrible. You sound pretty matter-of-fact about it! I had a bad reaction outside of the hospital to a heart rhythm drug called Flecanide. I had some nearly passing out experiences and the last one occurred when my husband and I were on the walking trail close to our house. When I had that episode I was lucky enough to be close to a bench where I could sit down. My husband now refers to it as my bench and I make the sign of the cross when we either walk by or ride by it! :D

The afib seems to just stop on its own, when it is ready to stop. I have a pretty long history with afib and it rarely ever lasts more than 5 or 6 hours, unless I happen to get stuck in the hospital. The outlook is that I should have some bouts of afib for 2 or maybe 3 months, and then the maze procedure should be healed up and eliminate afib forever.

It was a nasty bump, but more of an annoyance than anything else!

It will all be good from now on!

John

John,

A surgeon once told me about the MAZE procedure and that it did indeed take some time to become fully effective.

My Cardiologist recommended Toprol XL (extended release) for random arrhythmias (mostly PAC's and /or PVC's). If you are taking regular Topral, it might work better if you took half that dose TWICE a day.

When I developed exertion induced (or CAFFEINE induced) A-Fib, he put me on SOTALOL which is the generic form of Betapace. I was told that these drugs target A-Fib more effectively than Toprol. IT WORKED and I now take the very lowest dose (1/2 tablet = 40 mg) TWICE a day since it is NOT a time release drug. It keeps my A-Fib A-Way :)

It may be worthwhile for you to ask your Cardiologist about using Betapace / Sotalol instead of Toprol for your A-Fib. Note that the information sheet "suggests" that patients be admitted to a Hospital when they start this drug. YOU understand why! Also note that some doctors do NOT hospitalize their patients when starting. Given your history of flat-lining, I think I would opt for hospital monitoring as a precaution.

'AL Capshaw'

Al, I have had really wonderful success with a drug named Rythmol SR, for about 2 years. I'm back on the Rythmol in addition to the other, so I'm hoping that in a few weeks, the afib will be a thing of the past.

Today was another good day and tomorrow will be better again!

John

John,
i am so glad you are okay and that you were in the hospital when you flat lined. yikes! andrew has never flatlined but does have a defibrillator for those unpredictable times that he has ventricular tach. i hope you are feeling so much better!

Latest posts

Back