Home from Cath - worse than they thought!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

I finally made it home from my first cath - was in hospital for 9 hours.

Everything started out good this morning, no delays. During the procedure everything was looking good, pressures were still good. When Doc tried to get cath through aortic valve he was having quite a bit of trouble. It took him about 45 minutes to get it through. After the procedure he still felt that outlook was not too bad. After reworking the calcs to measure valve area, he ordered another echo. When it was all said and done my valve area has gone from .97 in early July to .63-.70 - we were all surprised especially my doc. For some unknown reason, eventhough the valve area is rapidly decreasing my heart is not increasing pressure. I am really not sure what to think of this, I am sure deserve more exploration.

Bottom line - Cardio is talking to my surgeon today, fedexing all my tests to him and feels I need to get this done very soon, possibly 2-4 weeks or less.

I am calling surgeon tomorrow to make pre-op appt.

I think I am in shock right now. I really wanted some sort of firm answer of when to expect surgery, but now that I have it I don't know what to think. I guess I need to absorb this and start planning quickly with my family.

Thanks for listening everyone!
Lori

With a valve space of .63 it will be quick. If not you need to find a good surgeon quick. .8 is the usual size for recommending surgery.

Lori, it doesn't matter how long we have known the day might come, when that doctor says "now" it is a shock.

Yes, now is the time to sit down and make some plans. You will need someone to drive you around for a few weeks (up to 6) after surgery, and you will have a few appointments. Make some meals for in the freezer, and make sure there is enough toilet paper and (and other staples) in the house for a few weeks. You should have someone with you for maybe a week or so.

There is a lot of helpful info in the stickies on what to take, and what to expect afterwards. Post questions if you need to. I can't remember offhand if you have family at home or not.

Let us know if knowing is better than not knowing :D!

HI Lori, sorry to hear your news...I understand about being scared, im there myself. Ill put you in my prayers tonight. Keep us posted.

Lori, I think most of us can remember that exact moment when our Dr.'s told us that it was time. It kind of takes your breath away. The shock will wear off and you'll move forward and take care of business.

Kim

YEP, it's time.

The Good News is that it has been found before you became 'critical'.

The Better News is that it is FIXABLE. That's what these surgeons do day after day after day.

First Time surgeries have a 1% morbidity and 1% mortality risk on a National Basis versus almost certain demise if you do Nothing. Experienced Valve Surgeons are even better.

Taking that Leap of Faith kind of catches your breath.
We've ALL 'Been There, Done That'.
Hopefully you will reach that sense of Peace that comes with the Acceptance that you are going to do it and all will be well.

Best Wishes

'AL Capshaw'

Lori, while I'm sure this was a shock, just take a deep breath and gather your wits about you. I shall include you in my prayers tonight. May the Lord guide you and give you strength. Soon all this will be behind you and your mended heart will give you a whole new lease on life.

Lori, since this surgery may come up pretty quickly for you, you won't have time to be in shock for long. Actually a shorter wait is easier to handle than a long one, IMO.

After the initial shock wears down a little, then the necessity to plan a few things and get some things in order will take over and all of a sudden you will find it's time for your surgery. Not much use in getting upset about it....God gave the human mind the ability and desire and the knowledge to fix these things, so trust in that.

You'll be in my thoughts!

Midge

Wishing you speedy decisions! The sooner the better - for mind and body! God bless.

Hi Lori,

Yes, it is a shocker to get this news. I am sending you positive thoughts and will be keeping you in my prayers. Keep us posted and remember we are all here for you. It may be a blessing in disguise as you won't be in the waiting room for a long time. You can get this done and over with. :)

P.S. My valve went from .86 cm2. down to .56 in 9 months. My cardio was extremely concerned as my pressure gradients were much higher as well. In spite of this news from June, I ended up being scheduled for this fall. One of the reasons is the surgeon said that because I am small framed, the .56 cm2 has to be indexed to my body size ;however, if it was my huband who is 6 feet tall and a mcuh bigger build, it would be a different story. This is my situation, (and every situation is different) but just wanted to share. :)

Thanks so much everyone! It is so comforting to come to you all with my stresses and concerns. I feel better this morning. I'm ready to start making the necessary plans.

I will keep you posted on the surgery date.

Once you get past the initial shock, you just want to get on with it. So a short wait is a blessing.
Wishing you a swift, complication-free surgery and an easy recovery!

I can't recall them ever telling me what my measurements were, I just knew it was time since I felt "crappier" every day. My cardiologist insisted I continue to wait and come back again in 6 months, blah blah. I fired him, got a new cardiologist who agree that I shouldn't wait for my health to deteriorate. My surgeon has 46 years experience and everything went fine. I was walking the second day on ICU and now, 4 weeks later, I'm feeling my old self, still tire easily, but up to 15 minutes walk twice daily and going into rehab as soon as they get the paperwork straight. Life is good, Lori, and you can look forward to the same results I had (I know my results are quite common).

Good luck and God Bless.

It was exactly four weeks from being told it was time for my second OHS until surgery date. By the time that month passed, I was ready!

You've read here often that many of us feel the wait is the worst part. IMO, It is.

You're lucky you won't have a very long wait.
Put one foot in front of the other and do what you need to do and before you know it, you will be home recovering.

Sending you very best wishes.

Hi Lori
I join with the others in sending good wishes and prayers for you. May the Lord bless you and guide you through the days ahead.

Lori, It is startling when you first hear your Doctor tell you he has made an appointment for you with a surgeon. It happened to me one month ago. Only last November, I was told that surgery was probably several years away; that is until my appointment in July. My AV had also degraded very quickly over just a few months. But now you know, you can now start assembling a support group around you who will help you get through these next few weeks and months. My GP who is a very wise lady said you need to let your friends and family know what is happening so you can mobilize them to help you deal with all the little facets of life that may be difficult for a while. I normally would not have done this but she emphasized its importance so I told all of the people who are close to me and some not so close. The result has been more than a little humbling. Virtually everyone has said "Let me know how I can help!" I live in Oklahoma. Friends from New York, Texas, California and Wisconsin have offered to come and stay with me when I get home. My surgery is probably still a month away but my friends and acquaintances here call to remind me every day that if I need something or need a ride I have only to call them. It makes your breath catch and your eyes water to realize that your friends and family are going to put themselves out to help you and do so with a hug and a smile. As my GP says, "This is one time in your life that when people ask 'Can I help?' your best answer is Thank You." You also have your new friends here at VR. Let us know how we can help.

Thanks so much everyone! I am sure you all know how much it means to me to have this site and the support of everyone here.

I am feeling better today. I actually over did it yesterday and was pretty exhausted in the afternoon and last night. I will be resting all day today and taking it easy.

Latest posts

Back