Hilly Hundred Bike Ride?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could too! I'm riding about 100 to 120 miles a week, but I haven't done anything over 50 miles since BRAG in early June. Have fun!

Years ago I worked at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Crane, IN. A huge 90 sq mile facility in Southern Indiana. It was a bike riders dream. No drunks, no broken bottles, no dogs, no potholes, hardly any traffic, rolling hills, and plenty of wildlife. They had a lot of turkey buzzards, rabbits, possums, foxes, deer, and even a few wild goats. Perfect for long bike rides. One time I made the mistake of going for a ride around a loop outside of the base. I drew the attention of 8 different farm dogs that came running after me on the 24 mile ride I was on (which required me to put the pedal to the metal), or an average of about a farm dog every three miles. After that I stuck to riding on the base. Beautiful bike riding country though; it doesn't get much better.

Years ago I worked at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Crane, IN. A huge 90 sq mile facility in Southern Indiana. It was a bike riders dream.

Also a nice place to run. Robert E. Lee (his real name - you might know him) had an annual half marathon on one of the gently rolling roads at the Naval Base. I used to really enjoy that one. It was an out and back course, and I think at least one time that I did it there was snow on the ground. Beautiful evergreens all around. And Robert made it fun with unconventional prizes, like old silver dollar coins and random Navy surplus gear. Good memories.

Best,
pem

Hey - do any of you hot rodders have any tips for cardiac rehab? I'm about 2 1/2 months out from surgery and about to embark on a 3-month stint of cardiac rehab at the hospital. As it is I can walk about 2 miles, though I get a little "woozy" doing it. I can't tell if it's endorphins or something else. Not short of breath at all.

I would like to get to the point that I can do some vigorous hiking, and possibly light running on trails. How do I pace myself getting back into cardio? What are your lessons learned? If you were going to do it again what would you do differently?

Thanks,
pem

Hey - do any of you hot rodders have any tips for cardiac rehab? I'm about 2 1/2 months out from surgery and about to embark on a 3-month stint of cardiac rehab at the hospital. As it is I can walk about 2 miles, though I get a little "woozy" doing it. I can't tell if it's endorphins or something else. Not short of breath at all.

Yes, go to it. I found that it was great to get some feedback from the nurses. However, after 5 visits I pushed on. I started going to my gym for indoor cycling classes. I started those out slow and built up over time. I monitored my own heart rate.

Yes, go to it. I found that it was great to get some feedback from the nurses. However, after 5 visits I pushed on. I started going to my gym for indoor cycling classes. I started those out slow and built up over time. I monitored my own heart rate.

Now that you've fully recovered, do you impose any exercise restrictions on yourself? Do you allow yourself to go to maximum heart rate?

THanks,
pem

Thanks for thinking I am fully recoverd. I am 14 months out, but not fully recovered in the sense of feeling 100%.

I push myself pretty hard. I have seem my HR in the 190s while riding up hills. However, I do slow down when I see 190 and get it to drop fairly quickly. I am usually in the 150 and 160s while working out. Sprinting and hills take it up a bit.

Pem, you need to take it real SLOW. You're not going out for the Olympics. You have the rest of your life to recover, and there is no sense pushing it and ending back up in the hospital or passing through the morgue. It took me a full YEAR to get back near 100%. You are still healing and at only three months post op you've got a long ways to go. I STRONGLY recommend you wear a heart rate monitor whenever exercising to track your heart rate. If you're taking any beta blocker medication they will keep your heart rate lower. This thread actually would be more appropriate for the Active Lifestyles and Cardiac Rehab section versus Small Talk.

Back