High pulse rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hi-

I had my surgery a month ago and my pulse rate before surgery was in the mid 60s but for the past month it's been in the low 100s or upper 90s. Has anyone had this? When does it go back down or is it to early?

Thank you-

Laura

My resting pulse rate was fairly high after surgery too. When I had my intake assessment at rehab it was about 100 or a little higher. That was about 6 weeks post surgery. These days, coming up on three years later, it's more like 60 or so. I can't say whether that's normal or not, but at least you aren't the only one! And if you continue to be like me, it'll sort itself out as you return to 'normal' cardiovascular health.
Have you asked your doctor? Won't hurt a bit to bring it up. You really should make a point to address all of your concerns with the doc.

Laura,

I thought the same thing after my surgery and was pretty concerned about it at first. I even posted a message about it just like you did. Now, it has been a little over a year now and my BPM have calmed down quite dramatically. I'm not even taking a beta blocker now and am back to normal. I would suggest maybe speaking to your cardiologist about taking a beta blocker while your heart is remodeling , especially since you just had surgery. If you are on it, then just realize that every 2 weeks you will see progress.

All the best,

Jason

Jason

Mine was that high at first, and my cardiologist fine tuned my dosage of metaprolol until it eventually hit 75 mg per day. I was checking my heart rate all the time in the months after surgery, until I realized that it was slowly coming down. It was in the low 70s when I went in for my one year appointment. The cardiologist said he'd consider cutting down my beta blockers of things still looked good at the next appointment, since the remodeling of my heart was going well.

My hear rate was high after my op and still is, i was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia and now on beta blockers, although they help, at times i still do have epiodes,
Love Sarah xxxx

Latest posts

Back