High Cholesterol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Hi All,
I am posting this question here because it is not a valve issue.
However with all the good people on this site I am hoping to find some answers.
This is about my wife, not myself.
She has some cholesterol problems and has tried four different statin drugs so far. These drugs have caused absolutely devastating side effects. Our cardiologist is a great guy and an excellent doctor but like most will only prescribe the usual drugs for this problem. He doesn't know what to do about this one.
She is also taking Altace for blood pressure and Antenolol as a beta blocker as well as an aspirin a day. Those things have caused no problem whatsoever and have those issues under control.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich:confused:

Cholesterol Medicine

Cholesterol Medicine

Hi Rich,
I've also gone through the standard Statins (Lipitor, Zocor, Tricor) for cholesterol and went off all of the soon after. I felt like someone beat me with a baseball bat while I was sleeping.
Yesterday I went to my PCP and asked for Zetia, a brand new anti-cholesterol drug. It seems like this drug will do the same, maybe better, than the previous drugs.
Sorry it's too soon to let you know how it works, but I'm hoping for the best. Not to sound like a commercial, but ask your Doctor what he thinks.
Regards,
Icarus

i recently starting taking Pravacol.. at one point mine was at a total of 300, changed my diet and it dropped to 287 (still high) i went from 20mg to 40mg which seems to be working without side effects... just got tested and within 6 weeks (durring the holidays no less) i dropped 30 points on total and ldl.. my triglycerides aren't moving though.. they're still high at 318...

my pcp told me that there are numerous types of meds to try.. some docs may try combinations of different meds... i'm still high, but at least it seems to be working..

my suggetion is to continue talking to her doc.. even your pharmacist, who may be more aware of the differnt drugs available and their side affects..

christine

Rich,

You might also look at her nutrional options. I'm guessing your wife is probably trying to eat a low-fat type of diet. There have been some studies that have shown that a vegetrian diet is very beneficial when medication doesn't appear to be helping. There was the diet proposd by Dr. Dean Ornish a few years ago that really seemed to do the trick for those who had tried statin drugs without success or who just didn't want to use them due to the side effects. It's a strict vegetarian way to eat but seems to be the answer from some!:)

Julia

Hi Rich

Hi Rich

Daddy takes Zocar. Dan Reeves, the Falcon coach has a great t.v. ad ..saying to take it..stop and smell the Roses..Does she take it..and give us her name..All those Grandkids and Granma needs a name. :) :) Not She:) Bonnie

I was on Lipitor for a time and suddenly my whole body was cramped, no kidding. Went to dr who said I could stop as #'s were down - so I used CoQ10 instead. #'s went back up and had to go back on Lipitor. The second time around, no cramps. Don't understand it at all. My cardio nurse suggested taking CoQ10 along with Lipitor for the cramping. I also take 1 82mg aspirin, atenolol, TARKA (for bp).

Hi Rich,

A couple of years back my hubby's was very high. I read that Oat Bran might help...well,I tell ya..I managed to work OarBran into almost everything he ate..LOL. Of course he also had to give up the chips & dips and ice cream. Within 2 months it had lowered considerably...don't know for sure, but I do think the OatBran helped.

After a while he got back to the 'old bad habits' tho and I stopped obsessing about Oatbran..of course it climbed back up.

Just a thought...can't hurt to incorporate something natural maybe.

Salud,

Zipper/Joan

Thanks to all of you

Thanks to all of you

Bonnie,
Her name is Terry, a great looking blond about your age.
She has tried Zocor and three others with no luck.
Julia,
Yes she is on a low fat diet.
Joan,
She went on oat bran a long time ago, personally I hate the stuff but she still eats it every day.
Christine,
Yes she has tried Pravacol but no luck threre either.
Icarus,
I guess Zetia was another option but since she has had such severe reactions to all these statins just like you described the doctor is holding off on that one for the time being.

He is sending us to an expert in alternative medicine next week.
We have no idea what to expect but this guy is a doctor and tied to the same hospital so it should be interesting.
We have to attend a seminar first and then we get an appointment with this guy.
At least Blue Cross pays for it.:D

Latest posts

Back