Here we go one more time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomAlbers

Well friends of valvereplacement, tomorrow I go under the knife for the 2nd time to replace my tissue valve that has calcified and narrowed. I am choosing to go with a St. Jude's mechanical valve this time. I just don't want to go through it a 3rd time, I got 13 years out of my tissue valve and given the circumstances would do it again. But, being older and not wanting to fight this again I will join the Coumadin group. I pray that the surgeon can cut the tissue out and replace it fairly quickly. If it's too calcified it will obviously take much more time to replace the root, and re attach the coronary arteries. Thanks to all for their information, even though I have done it once before, things have changed and the knowledge of this group has been invaluable. I plan to attack it with vigor and the positive attitude that will hopefully get me out in 4 to 5 days. It's in God's hands as well as my surgeon's at this point.
I will try to have my wife post how it goes, but if she doesn't get it done, I'll try to post when I get home.
Godspeed,
Tom

Tom,
My second OHS (in four years) was so much easier on me than my first. Truly..... the moment I first awoke in CICU, I knew right away the train had not hit me nearly as hard that time.

In the 13 years since your last surgery, there have been tremendous advancements. Hopefully, all will go easily and smoothly for you.
Please let us know you are doing fine as soon as you are able.
With your good attitude, you are sure to do fine.

Tom
Well friends of valvereplacement, tomorrow I go under the knife for the 2nd

all the best and see you back here in a few days or weeks. I know when I went under a year ago for my 3rd OHS I was a bit apprehensive. Thoughts of getting well again for my wife drove me.

so, all the best and we'll see you to talk about things when you get back.

Stay calm and try as hard as you can to put your mind at ease. You have a good team working to give you the best outcome.

Hi

oh ... just since you may still read this

am choosing to go with a St. Jude's mechanical valve this time.

mechanical is a good call IMO. 2 surgeries is ok, but after that it gets rougher. Scar tissue, bone healing problems, you just don't want to have a 3rd or a 4th and god forbid a 5th.

I pray that the surgeon can cut the tissue out and replace it fairly quickly. If it's too calcified it will obviously take much more time to replace the root, and re attach the coronary arteries.
that's not as bad as it sounds. I've had the root replaced once and on the mechanical of course removed. I also had a large aneurysm on my Aortic artery. So they had to sew that in too (on my last OHS).

I plan to attack it with vigor and the positive attitude that will hopefully get me out in 4 to 5 days. It's in God's hands as well as my surgeon's at this point.

take it one day at a time, don't set schedules because that will only encourage you to break a leg to follow them.

heal as you can

all the best

Wishing you all the luck in the world! December 11th marks the date for my 2nd OHS, 37 years ago.

Godspeed and we'll be waiting to hear all about it when you're up and around!

Thoughts are with you and yours and praying for a smooth journey through your surgery and recovery. New year new valve!

Tom,
It was a pleasure to speak with ya. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts all day today. Looks like you are in the OR by 8am, so at this moment they should start prepping you, etc. Will be waiting for anticipation for your and Tina's updates. All is going to workout, as they say this is not your first Rodeo.

Tom,

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you!!! Sounds like you're making a really good choice with your valve selection.

Wishing you a VERY smooth recovery, I have heard that the second one is not as bad as the first.

Rachel

Tom,

Wishing you a successful surgery and untroubled recovery! I'll be following your story with interest as it looks like I'll be following you for a second valve in a few years...

Tom
Best wishes coming your way for an uneventful surgery and recover.
Please let us know how you are doing when you are able to.

Tom,

Wishing you huge success with your surgery!
Hope all goes well, trouble free, and with a quick recovery.

Rob

This is Tom's sister Mary with an update: Tom is still in the hospital as he cannot get his INR above 1.1, but he is working hard at recovery hoping to be discharged by Monday; it all comes down to the INR...
Regarding the surgery itself, things were a little more complicated than he had planned due to the calcification and excessive amount of scar tissue from prior valve replacement surgery. The surgery was four hours, and Tom struggled getting off the breathing machine because he would not wake up. Personally, I think he was just avoiding the reality of the "joys" of recovery that he knew awaited him, but by Thursday he was out of ICU and gearing up for discharge. He is keeping up his spirits and trying not to laugh as Tina and I "rib" him because it hurts, but we believe laughter is the best medicine, so he is in for a few more doses. Will try to keep you posted as technology permits. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

Hells yeah!!!! Glad to hear from you Mary. Thanks for the update and pass on hi to Tom.

INR will stabilize over time, some of us, me included needed several month before in got in range and generally once it gets there it stays there for the most part. When they try to raise your INR they do it very slowly and do not change the dose for several days. It is wise to er on the side of caution as they do not want to play up and down game with INR. Our clotting factors are all over the place anyways so lower INR is fine initially (at least that's what my surgeon told me)

Thanks so much for the update Mary - I've been thinking about Tom all week and I'm so glad to hear that surgery is done and he is looking forward to being discharged soon!

Tell him I said hi as well!

Rachel

Back