Here we go again

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy & Robyn

I just received the call from Cleveland Clinic. My next surgery is scheduled for February 16th. The nurse told me Dr. Pettersson is leaning toward a homograft yet but he will be calling to discuss the situation later this week or early next week at which time I will express my desire for the On-X.

Dr. Lytle, the chief of surgery for Cleveland, has already agreed to allow the On-X to be used in my case if I request it. That was a major hurdle but I still do not want to second guess Dr. Pettersson if he is adamant about the homograft being my best option.

I'll be sure to post before I go in.

Randy

Randy,

Glad (???) to hear your surgery has been scheduled and that you don't have to wait too long (although I am sure 2 weeks seems long to you).

I think you should just be open with Dr. Pettersson. Just ask him about his reasons for leaning towards the homograft. Maybe it is just his nurse that thinks this and he may be open to folks that have done their homework. After all, I am sure he wants you to be happy with decisions - it makes for a better recovery.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Randy,

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way that you can agree on a valve that you're happy with, whether that means convincing your surgeon to go with the On-X, or getting some good reasons that you're happy about that a homograft is the better option. As Gina says, the nurse may have simply going on what Dr Petterson usually prefers, rather than what he's actually said about your case.

Will be thinking of you on the 16th. Is Robyn going to be providing us with updates again (of course only if she can tear herself away from you :) ).

Gemma.

Randy, continue to keep us posted. Hopefully Dr. Petterson will be calling sooner rather than later so you don't have to keep waiting on pins and needles. You've done your homework, the dr. has done his and I'm sure that by the time the 2 of you have finished discussing your situation, your best possible valve will be chosen.

Glad you have a date, Randy and I added it to the calendar. You are going to the best place this time and we are sending all our best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery this time around. Look forward to Robyn's posts.:)

Randy,

I leave on Wednesday for the Clevland Clinic. My surgery is on 2/6 and we're scheduled to return on 2/14. So, I'll miss getting to meet you, but I can sure alert the nurses that they have a VIP coming and to take extra special care of you. :)

Best wishes and I will sure be praying for a good result for you and a quick recovery.

Arlene

My experience with Dr. Pettersson

My experience with Dr. Pettersson

Randy,
When he calls, listen to what he has to say. Then give him your reasons
for wanting the ON-X over his choice. I urge you to have this list written down. Speak very clearly(English is his second language). He is a wonderful man, who will do what you want, if you make it clear why you have made your decision. He may have some reasons why he wants to go a certain way, that you haven't thought of. He is not use to people coming to him with as much knowledge as you have. Don't worry-he is a professional all the way.
Good luck, Randy! I hope you get the first ON-X at CC. You have certainly paid your dues!:)

You've been through the mill, Randy. We're all rooting for you to get the best option available to you. You've researched the valves and yourself thoroughly, and the On-X does sound like your fit.

As RCB says, listen, then talk. Professional courtesy, in a way.

Very best wishes,

Hey Randy

Thank you for your update, and we are wishing you all the best. Keep us posted...you have alot of buddies here who are thinking of you and Robyn ;)

I want to thank everyone again for their support and ask for some prayers for our neighbor, Carolyn.

Robyn called her last night to ask if she could take care of our pets while we were in Cleveland. She is one of the nicest people we know and always goes out of her way to help anyone when she can. She told Robyn that she just found out she has ovarian cancer. They are performing more tests to confirm it but she will likely be needing surgery in the near future.

Randy

Good luck Randy!
Feeling confident about your choices is important. Talk it out with your doctor and be clear about your wishes.
I'll be praying for you.

Latest posts

Back