Here is my reasoning. I would appreciate your feedback.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as a homograft vs tissue or mechanical, I would think that sewing the homograft from a donor to you would be quite challenging compared to having a ring in place to sew to like what's on a tissue or mechanical valve, but yes, ask the surgeon about it. :)

Valve Choices

Valve Choices

I have a way to go (who knows what the time frame is, I thinkI may take someones advice and get that second opinion) but I am trying to keep up with the options and remain educated....

It doesnt seem like there is one better choice than the other and just depends on the person.

It seems like you either "tick" like a bomb, with a high possiblility of bleeding to death or get a tissue valve and have to have that operation over again who knows how many times...LOL

Better than CHF and drowning I guess.

Thanks for reading,
Cindy

Hi Cindy-

And welcome to this great site. It's a wonderful place to come for support, friendship and education on all the subjects surrounding valve replacement. There is a ton of information in all the threads here.

Valve choice is a tough decision, and the more you can learn about the different valves, the better. An informed patient is a good thing.

My husband has 2 mechanical valves, and has been on Coumadin for 25 years. He has never had a bleeding incident that can be attributed to Coumadin. His Coumadin is very well managed by his doctors.

Unfortunately, Coumadin has gotten a very bad rap that it doesn't deserve. I believe that the bad rumors are generated by ill-informed people who know nothing about the drug. And most of the bleeding incidents that everyone hears about are the result of either poor management by the doctor, or poor compliance by the patient, not taking the right dose or not testing the patient often enough.

You are young and will probably opt for a tissue valve. But later on when you have that valve replaced, you might want to go with a mechanical valve, and I just wanted you to know that Coumadin is not the big baddie that lots of people think.

It is truly the least of my husband's medical problems.

Best wishes to you.

Elena,
Don't know where you live in No Ca but Dr Craig Miller at Stanford is the guy for valve replacement.
He knows alot and has done alot.
Gail

Last edited:
HI
I'm in Sonoma County (Cotati), but I think I'll have the surgury done in Boston, as that is where my family is......

Elena,

Am sort of where you are. Will have the surgery in about two weeks and have spent the last two months researching types of valves. My conclusion: coumadin is "overrated". By that I simply mean that it's not the "bleed to death" drug that many of us think it is. Your age, though, might make a difference to me on the choice of valve. Not trying to sway you as I still have not made my final decision on the valve either. Just want to make sure you have all the facts, ma'am (Dragnet).

Paul

It seems like no matter how many time I hear that Coumadin is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be,.... it still sounds like a complete nightmare!!!
I still don't know when my surgury will be and haven't talked to a surgeon but I'm definitely swayed towards some type of biological valve. Also, I am going to have children and don't want to give myself a shot twice a day!! I know because of my age, I'll probably have to have a mechnical valve some day,... I'm just going to try to put it off!!

well said Nancy

well said Nancy

Nancy, you said Coumadin has gotten a very bad rap that it doesn't deserve...yep, an understatement. I hate to see someone making a valve choice solely on coumadin alone. They have not yet been through a surgery and maybe would not want to make it a 15 year event.With the advent of home testing INR control is better than ever! The two main problems of bleeding and clotting can now be greatly reduced. Besides, I dought if anyone is on coumadin for life, with the new medications we will possibly see in the not so far future...

As others have said, the choice of valve is different for everyone and whatever you choose will be right for you. I went with a tissue valve(bovine) based off of 2 things; I'm very active( play contact sports, ect;) and I asked all three of my doctors, what they would do? All 3 indicated they would go with a tissue valve. Keep in mind they were all very active. Also, keep in mind that surgeons do this everyday and see open heart surgery has no big deal. After going thru surgery twice, I will say the 2nd one was easier, but I may not feel that way when I'm 70, but I guess I will find out in 20 years(I'm hoping my valve last that long). Take care

Not a shot

Not a shot

Elena - maybe I read your last post out of context, but Coumadin is taken as a pill, not a shot. I've been on it for about 6 months because of a mini stroke (TIA), and it really is not a big deal. Sure, you tend to be nervous the first few weeks or so, but the more you learn, the more comfortable you become. I'm not trying to sell Coumadin, just trying to make sure you are not overy affraid of it and make a decision you may regret. Hope this helps. Chris

what I meant to say is that I heard Coumadin goes through the placenta and is not recommended for pregnant women. I heard that there is another ani-coagulant called Heparin (I think?) that does not go through the placenta but needs to be given via injection.
I guess Coumadin is not as bad as I think it is but I still think I will probably go with a biological valve....given that I want to have children (am only 23 years old). Of course, I'll need to talk it over with a cardiologist and a surgeon as the time approaches.
Thanks for your concern though... I'm sure your right, I'm blowing Coumadin out of proportion.

Latest posts

Back