HELP!! Not enough blood

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

I've been home testing my INR for almost three months now and have not had any problems....until today. I have stuck myself four times and can't seem to get a really good drop of blood. I've never had this problem in the past. I think I'm doing all the right things. I wash my hands in really warm water, hold my hand well below my heart, even my waist and have hydrated well before testing. I'm using a size 21 guage needle. Anyway, my question is: could my INR be so low that I'm not able to get enough blood for the test? I have an INRatio machine. Like I said, I've always bled like a stuck pig before today. I'm out of test strips now. They were supposed to be delivered today but didn't come, so they should be here tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Linda

Linda,

I have had this happen a couple of times. I have found that holding my hand down at my side after I lance it helps the flow. You just have to make sure you catch it before the drop ends up on the floor. :eek:

Do you massage your finger before sticking also (after all the other stuff)? That helps me as well.

I have not found a connection between the flow of blood and my INR. Recently I had a hard time getting blood and my INR was 5.2. I have had over 4.0 INRs as well as 2.2 INRs with hard sticks. Same with the easy sticks. I am using a 21g needle as well.

If I have the opportunity to do ten push-ups before getting stuck, I never have a problem. I'm sure there's an easier way to induce the same condition...

Don't ya' just hate it when you get the not "enough sample" message?
You would think that even with an INR of 1.0 ("normal" - what ever that is?), you'd get a good sample with a good stick (normal folks bleed too - wasn't it Shakespeare who said "If you stick me, do I not bleed"?) If all the usual stuff doesn't work, the lancet sping thingy I have has depth settings - maybe you need to go to a higher setting - thicker skin after all the poking.

Jeff, I have the spring thingy set on five which is the highest number. Maybe I should resort to one of my sewing needles or the push-ups that Jim recommended...(just kidding on both counts). I'm waiting for Fed-Ex to get here with my strips so I can try this again today. Does anyone know any descendants of Dracula living around the Tampa area? Linda

just a thought

just a thought

Hi Linda. I'm still way pre-op, so I've never seen one of your machines. I just know that it is hard for them to get a vein on me for regular blood draws. After years of torture, I finally asked a tech how I could help and she told me to drink plenty of water beforehand. Is it possible that you are not hydrated properly? Did the weather change? Might a few extra gulps of water several hours before your testing help liquify things??

Marguerite

Maybe you'll find this useful

Maybe you'll find this useful

Hi Twinmaker,

Because of dry skin and eczema obtaining enough blood was a very big problem for me especially in our dry winters.

Try this, I hope it helps you too.

Soak hand in very warm water up to the wrist while enjoying a cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate, whatever, than do test.

and/or--following an activity that keeps my hands in warm water I put a bandaid on two fingers at the appropriate testing area to keep the skin hydrated (overnight). Band-aids are left in place til just prior to the stick. I also have two lancets at the ready one for each finger. If the first stick isn't successful I use the second finger immediately. My softclix is at the highest setting with the largest gauge needle (23 I think). I also have some Accuchex, (for glucose) single-use lancettes with three settings. The needle gauge is smaller than 23 but they go deeper with a slice, not a puncture

Sometimes I will deliberately not stick the usual area near the nail bed but choose an area closer to the middle of the fingerprint. I think cap blood is cap blood, so does it really matter if it hurts a little more. I'll heal, strips won't. Besides no pain, no gain so I hope it hurts because I know I'll get a good drop.

As being there, done that, I sincerely hope this helps.

Sandra

Reactions: Amy
I make Clo jump up and down while I'm getting her machine ready and waggle her hand around. I also 'milk' her finger sometimes whilst I'm trying to get blood from her. Some people say not to do that but I've done it for 4 years and not found it a problem.
I've not seen any correspondance between how easily her blood comes out and her INR. I've had trouble getting blood from her in the past and been waiting for a low result, only to find out its around 4, so hopefully your fingers reluctance to bleed is justy one of those annoying things!

Love Emma
xxx

Ross, I'd like to borrow your shot gun to shoot the people at Homelink and Raytel. Homelink is the company that my insurance uses as a "go-between" with Raytel. Anyway, I put in an order for more strips last Friday. Since Monday was a holiday, they told me they would be here yesterday. They didn't come. Called today and Homelink checked into it and told me that there was a mix-up with Raytel and they were shipped out today and would be here on Tuesday of next week. By the time they get here, it will be two weeks since I've tested. I was at 2.4 a week ago Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I run to the lab tomorrow and get tested the old fashioned way? I just don't want to be too low. It makes me nervous. Linda

I sometimes have the same problem, I bet that is why the clinic uses the capillary tubes to apply the sample to the strip. I always call Raytell for supplies when I have 2 strips left. It is annoying, but still alot better than getting venous sticks or driving to the lab.
Kathy H

great info...thanks

great info...thanks

Thanks for all the great info....my in-ration machine is just sitting here. No one from the company has called to tell me how to use it yet. I will for sure remember to re order test strips way in advance and all this info has been SO helpful to me.....THank You everyone!!!
click click click

twinmaker said:
Ross, I'd like to borrow your shot gun to shoot the people at Homelink and Raytel. Homelink is the company that my insurance uses as a "go-between" with Raytel. Anyway, I put in an order for more strips last Friday. Since Monday was a holiday, they told me they would be here yesterday. They didn't come. Called today and Homelink checked into it and told me that there was a mix-up with Raytel and they were shipped out today and would be here on Tuesday of next week. By the time they get here, it will be two weeks since I've tested. I was at 2.4 a week ago Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I run to the lab tomorrow and get tested the old fashioned way? I just don't want to be too low. It makes me nervous. Linda
2.4? I wouldn't worry about it and just test when you get them.

imhayley said:
Thanks for all the great info....my in-ration machine is just sitting here. No one from the company has called to tell me how to use it yet. I will for sure remember to re order test strips way in advance and all this info has been SO helpful to me.....THank You everyone!!!
click click click
Did you get a DVD with yours? I got this with the unit and it goes over the use and care of the unit in painfully minute detail. I was supposed to get a call with instructions but it didn't come until about a month later - was using the unit same day it came out of the box.) There's also a "how to use" section on the www.hemosense.com website. (It is really easy to operate - only problem I've encountered is not giving it enough blood.)
P.S. I think we've drifted off the thread here a bit...sorry.

My strips got here Tuesday afternoon and I tested then. I was down to 2.1 so my Coumadin was increased a little. Will test again on Tuesday. I think I'm destined to test every week. But I've been doing that for almost 24 years. The longest they ever let me go has been one month and that only happens every 2-3 years. But the home testing sure beats going to the lab and having them destroy my veins, so I'm not really complaining. Linda

My advice, get the TENDERLETT from QAS for the finger stick. Much better than Softclix, sort of makes a "slice". Doesn't hurt and delivers lots of blood. I also use Coaguchek capillary tubes from Tapestry 1-877-262-4669.. They suck up just the right amount of blood and then let you squirt it right on the strip bullseye. You don't need to jiggle a big hanging drop of blood.

Hemosense said they were considering including capillary tubes in their initial INRatio kits. I would not even consider using my INRatio monitor without the tubes since it is quite difficult to get the blood drop to go into the well.

Anyone considering an INRatio or who has one that they are having problems with, please get the capillary tubes. Definitely worth the small price.

Capillary tubes and time

Capillary tubes and time

Marty said:
My advice, get the TENDERLETT from QAS for the finger stick. Much better than Softclix, sort of makes a "slice". Doesn't hurt and delivers lots of blood. I also use Coaguchek capillary tubes from Tapestry 1-877-262-4669.. They suck up just the right amount of blood and then let you squirt it right on the strip bullseye. You don't need to jiggle a big hanging drop of blood.

Hello Marty,

Very interesting about Coaguchek cap. tubes. I didn't know they had them.

How many seconds does it take for you to obtain a reading using the tubes? Wouldn't they slow down the time? (stick, apply tube and then expel the contents onto the strip -- somewhere I read blood should be applied in 15 seconds although I have never been that successful. Just wondering.

cheers

lance said:
Hello Marty,

Very interesting about Coaguchek cap. tubes. I didn't know they had them.

How many seconds does it take for you to obtain a reading using the tubes? Wouldn't they slow down the time? (stick, apply tube and then expel the contents onto the strip -- somewhere I read blood should be applied in 15 seconds although I have never been that successful. Just wondering.

cheers

Lance, for me it goes very fast, probably under 15" though I never knew the timing might be critical. When I get low on capillary tubes I might try the 15ul Microsafe tubes which I believe Hemosense recommends.Do you keep them in stock? For me capillary tubes have been a great "strip saver" !

QAS Lance

QAS Lance

Marty said:
Lance, for me it goes very fast, probably under 15" though I never knew the timing might be critical. When I get low on capillary tubes I might try the 15ul Microsafe tubes which I believe Hemosense recommends.Do you keep them in stock? For me capillary tubes have been a great "strip saver" !

Marty,

There are two Lance's on the forum, and this is the QAS Lance. Yes, we keep them in stock, and many people find them as very useful when self testing. Thanks,

QAS Lance

Latest posts

Back