Help for a friend facing valve replacement surgery - mitral valve prolapse

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My good friend is in need of some advice his most recent diagnosis: Bileaflet mitral valve prolapse with moderate to severe incompetence. The doctors have told him that he will need to have a new valve replacement soon. He is currently living in the states but is currently in a hospital near Sydney Australia right now on tour. He is a traveling musician and doesn't have any health insurance. Is there any way for him to still have the surgery here in the USA without insurance? What are the possible options for him? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Richard

It might cost him less to have it in Australia. Is that possible? Has he investigated that option?

They would prefer him to have insurance here in the USA as you well know. It would be better for him to check into what they have in Australia, which the set up is quite different there, covers the whole country, I believe. Here, in the USA, you do not get better treatment when you do not have insurance here. Good luck to your friend, he would be better treated there, cheaper when out of pocket oversease. Hugs for you both.

I don't know what the health insurance situation is like in the US. But I remember someone a few years ago in these forums suggesting to someone to get a job that would provide health insurance, such as maybe WalMart. So if this option can work and the friend being moderate to severe maybe not requiring surgery right away, it sounds like a good option.

If he's moderate to severe, then he needs surgery ASAP. severe MVP can rapidly decline to class IV heart failure and result in extensive damage to the heart if untreated. Been there, done that, have the scars, 2 mechanical valves, pacer/defib, and meds to prove it.
I'd agree: see what he can get done in Australia. My MVR & maze & pacer (initial surgery) cost about $300,000 before insurance in in U.S.

What State does he live in? That can make a difference, for example some hospitals like I believe Deborah in NJ will treat anyone wether they can pay or not, but I believe you have to live in NJ. Other hospitals, non profit ones at least, have programs for people without insurance, but I think there is alot of hoops to jump thru.
There are also organizations, like the Larry King Foundation that works with a group of hospitals and pays for all/part of the cost of surgery, if you qualify. So his best bet would probably be to contact the larger centrs closest to where he lives and speak to the social workers or financial aid people to find out what programs he would qualify for depending on his income.
http://www.larrykingcardiacfoundation.org/index.php/about-us

Like others id probably check out the hospital he is in in Austrailia first.

Last edited:
Deborha Heart and Lung Center does not charge their patients ANYTHING (except for the 1 week of tv I had). All bills which normal insurance (if you happen to have any) doesn't cover, is picked up throuth their foundation. People without any insurance never get charged. You do not need to live in NJ to go there. I had my surgery there this year and I've been going to Deborah for years for check-ups. I have good insurance and could have gone to many other bigger name hospitals, but Deborah is very good at what they do, and Dr. McGrath is an amazing surgeon. Here is the website to check them out if you wish. http://www.deborah.org/ Good luck to you and your friend.

Latest posts

Back