Heartburn

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeey2011

Hi, I have a mechanical valve and I am taking Coumadin. Can anyone tell me if I can take an over the counter medication for heartburn. Something like Zantac, Tums, etc. Thanks.

I had some issues along those lines and my GP prescribed generic Prilosec. (Prescription, with my insurance, is cheaper than OTC.) Stuff like Tums and Rolaids are no problem at all, as they simply neutralize the acid in your stomach. A lot of the other stuff works more "systemically" and has a greater chance of interacting with other drugs. Regardless, talk to your anticoag pharmacist for some really good advice and always let them know what you're taking.

Hi, I have a mechanical valve and I am taking Coumadin. Can anyone tell me if I can take an over the counter medication for heartburn. Something like Zantac, Tums, etc. Thanks.

Yep, you can take Zantac 150 - it's what I use when needed and what the doc recommends.

I used Prolisec. Tums is OK, but I personally wud not take it as a regular treatment. (I was told once it has tiny amount of ingredient that precipitates inside the body, as it is not fully dissolvent!)

I treat my mild acid reflux with chewing a gum!

I'm the type who did not like nor tolerated chewing a gum for more than a few minutes. Yet, after reading an article that chewing a gum after a meal or so helps with increasing the saliva and thus helps with acid reflux, I was skeptic until I tried it. It is working for me! I'm not sure how effective it will be if you have moderate or severe case. It doesn't hurt to try. I sometimes chew a gum at night in bed! I wake up during the night and I would chew it.

Back