Heart Talk

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie-62

I am new here for this web site. Thank God I found it. I just had an echo test and was told I have Aortic Stenosis. My next echo test is in 6 months. The doctor told me it can be 6 months or 3 to 4 years before I need a valve. Sorry, but I am still is shock. In 1975 I had coarctation of the aorta. Took me 3 months of recovery. Never did I think I would need surgery again. Thank you all for being on this web sited. I am getting alot of info.

The good thing is they caught it and it sounds like they are going to keep an eye on you.I know it is easier said than done, but you have to try not to let it worry you. Live life and just be aware of any symptoms and anything your body may be trying to tell you.

Hi, Marie, and welcome to The Waiting Room - the virtual room where many folks await their own turns at valve surgery. I spent almost 10 years waiting, and once you get used to the fact that "I will definitely need valve surgery, we just don't know how soon" things begin to settle down.

Since you haven't shared any of the details of your echo report, we don't know how severe your valve is, so it is difficult to discuss what your immediate future may be. I would suggest, though, no matter what the condition of your valve may be, try to develop your own plan of "if I needed surgery today, what would I do, and where." Once you have made those choices, you can put that worry aside and try to get back to living your life until you need to pull out that plan and work it. Also, if you are one of us who has a lengthy stay in The Waiting Room, you may want to periodically review and modify your plan.

In my 10 year of waiting, my plan went from a mechanical valve (while I was in my early 50's) to a tissue valve (once I got into my 60's). I kept the same cardio all that time, and had regular strategy discussions with him along with the discussions of how WE were going to manage my care until it was time for surgery.

It sounds as if your cardio may think that you may be ready for surgery within the next couple of years, as they usually do annual reviews when you are still far away from surgery, then move to 6-month intervals when things are getting closer.

Marie, we're glad you've found us. You are in the right place now, so make yourself at home. Ask all the questions you wish, as people here are great at sharing their personal experiences and knowledge, and they are a great family away from home.

Thank You both for the information. When I went to the heart doctor he explain to me how a door is open, and closes. This door in my heart valve. My door is half way close, but I still have enough for the blood to pass througn. So, seeing I didn't have an echo test in a long time, he wants me to do another echo test in 6 month , to compare the echo that I just had. I am now writing down questions,thanks to this wonderful web site. My nerves are calming down.Thank You both for responding to me. Your the best!

Hi Marie-62. This is probably the best site on the web for living with heart valve problems. Like you, I had Aortic Stenosis. Mine was fixed about the same time as you had your earlier surgery. Stay on top of the problem, educate yourself, and if and when the need for valve replacement comes you will be prepared to deal with it. FWIW, I've had my valve since I was 31 and am still going strong at 80.

Welcome to the "waiting room", as Steve described. There are a great bunch of people here to help you learn, give you support, and be there when you just feel like you need company. An informed patient is a better patient.

This site was a lifesaver for me. I'm so glad you found it. Like you, I was stunned by the diagnosis that I needed a heart valve. No history of heart disease in my family. The wonderful folks here patiently answered all my questions, which helped alleviate my fears. Sending positive energy your way.

Hugs,
Michele

Welcome Marie -- as said before, there are a bunch of good folks here to share their experiences and lend you support. I was told in my 20s that I would eventually need valve replacement, but my time for it didn't come until I was 63. When my time came, I had a complete aortic valve and root replacement, and I feel blessed to still be active 11 years later, enjoying grandchildren and other blessings. It is usually a bit of a shock to learn that we need the VR even if we've known the possibility for years -- but as you do your research and learn of all the great options cardiac medicine now affords, you will become more comfortable and reassured.

I remember what a shock it was to hear that I would need OHS. Life is so full of surprises. Surgical procedures have advanced far beyond where they were in 1975. Depending on the approach you may still need 3 months for recovery but your issue can be fixed. While you are waiting learn what you need to know to stay informed and make educated decisions in consultation with your Dr's, and then try to set it aside most of the time to focus on enjoying your life.

Thank you all so much. I am feeling a lot calmer, my nerves were getting the better of me. I am 62, just retire and then this happen to me. Like Really. But, once again I am so happy I found you all. I will keep you posted on me. and I might questions now and then. Thank You Again :Face-Angel:

Marie, we're like one big dysfunctional family.
The love is always there, despite the differences.
This is the best club I never wanted to join.
You take care.

Thank You all so much. for being here for me. My nervers like to go wide one in a while, but I think of you, and I calm down. My faimly keeps me up beat as well.

Welcome aboard! And we look forward to talking with you for years and years to come! 🙂

Latest posts

Back