Heart rates and hello! :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah_Louise

Hi everyone,
Hope your all well and had a nice Christmas, sorry i haven't been around for a while,

Looking for some advice,
I take 50mg of a beta blocker twice a day as i have sinus tachycardia, Right bundle branch block, PAC/PVC. i was back at my cardiologist in December as an extra appointment as i hadn't been well and been back in hospital (non cardiac hospital thought i had fluid on my heart) turns out i don't thank goodness and my heart was managing, but it was still going wayyy to fast, it was doing 112bpm at rest and im on the highest dose of beta blocker possible, now i have been referred for more tests (ecg tape) and my cardiologist was going to speak to the electrophysiologist (sp) and discuss me in the anual meetings they have with all the cardiac staff there, as yet I haven't heard anything, but for the past week, one minute my heart rate has been in the 100s, and then next minute its right down in the 45-50s?!? has anyone ever had any experience of this? What happened? any advice?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but at the minute (for the past week) i've got post concussion syndrome (a complication of concussion) I banged my head a week last Saturday on a car door, got a dent on one side of my head and a lovely bump on the other, had severe headaches, nausea and tiredness and loss of vision, so spent 2 days in hospital with what was origionally thought of a bleed on the brain :eek2: so i was very relieved when they said it was Post concussion syndrome LOL

Anyway,
Thank you in advanced and i hope your all well :)
Sarah xxxxx

After reading the details I feel unable to make any input to this other than to say seems un-normal to me.

Hope the head gets better

Seems very un-normal to me as well. I can tell you this, I am just past the 1 month mark now. Right after surgery my HR was 105 resting...the following 2 weeks it was 90-94 resting...now this week it has been just around 80-85. I am guessing this is just the heart getting used to the valve? Your flucuations is the really odd part. Willl you be completely resting (sitting) and this happen?

Prior to surgery we "think" I had what my cardio called brady/tachycardia. My resting heart rate would go very low (mid-40's), but under stress or exertion it would go up to the 160's. As long as it behaved "normally," going up when under load and down at rest, they just watched it. After aortic valve replacement, my heart rhythm went crazy. It went fast, it went slow, then it just stopped for 15-20 seconds at a time. Finally, due to the long pauses, they recommended a pacemaker, along with large dosage (100 mg/day) of beta blocker. The beta blocker kept my natural pacing rate below the danger point and the pacemaker kept my rate from going too slow or stopping. I was 100% paced at the time. Fast-forward about 2 years. I am now paced 30-50% of the time, and take only 25 mg/day of beta blocker. It has taken a while, but things are feeling pretty normal. I'm back to all of my pre-op activities, and then some. It takes time for all of your heart's electrical pathways to recover from the trauma of open-heart surgery, and sometimes your heart needs some help.

Latest posts

Back