Heart rate post OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am 2 1/2 months post OHS. Prior to surgery my resting heart rate was about 72. Now it is consistently around 83. Is this common? Does it decrease with exercise and rehab? I have had 7 weeks of 3x week rehab; this morning walked 25 min. on treadmill ending at 3.2 mph and a grade of 3%. My heart rate goes up to about 112.

Prior to OHS I was on cozaar; now that has been discontinued and I am on 25 mg metaprolol.

Pat

I do not know the answer to your questions, but I can tell you what I have experienced and will be interested to see what others say.

I am a marathon runner who has checked my resting heart rate every morning for several years. When I was in top shape, my resting heart rate was between 42 and 48. I could not run for several months before surgery and my resting heart rate was about 60 for the week prior to surgery. My surgery was a little over 3 weeks ago and when I came home my resting HR was about 80 and is now down to about 68.

My Hgb dropped from 16 to 11 with the surgery, and I have assumed that my increase in HR is at least in part due to decreased oxygen carrying capacity of my blood. I would guess the same would be true for you.

I will be interested to hear what others have noticed.

Your heart is in the very early stages of remodeling, so things aren't going to be close to the old normal for quite some time yet.

Heart Rate

Heart Rate

As you get your heart back in shape, you'll probably see your heart rate drop. It does take some time and some effort.

-Philip

Time

Time

Just give it time, do your cardiac rehab and all will be well. I am 65 and my pulse was always under 70, went up to 0ver 95 when I was ill with a blocked aortic valve and since surgery it has gone down slowly from about 90 to around 60. My AVR was done in late January 2010.

My heart rate's always been a little high, but yeah...nearly five weeks post-op, it's in the 90's. The cardio didn't mention it, but my primary care guy ventured a guess that it's the extra iron I'm still taking from becoming anemic after surgery. Having read this thread (and others today), I'm upping my cardio rehab, and will be looking for my heart rate to drop. :)

Thanks all for the info!

~Randy

Latest posts

Back