Heart of the Sunrise- AVR in the Early Spring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOTS

You'll be fine, keep your positive attitude and just know that you can't do much about being nervous... that's normal (dang nerves)!!!!

Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet recovery area getting set-up at home, and love the picture of your bird!!!

Remember, maintain your current positive attitude, all well be well, focus on recovery, we'll all be thinking of you!!!!:thumbup:

Rachel

Hey H.O.T.S., keep up that positive outlook. Soon you will be over the surgery hurdle and it appears that your set up for recovery location is well thought out and planned. Yes, I hope that spring comes to your location and you can just sit and relax, enjoy the birds singing and the crack of the bat for your Phillies. Will be thinking of you come the 18th. Sending positive vibes in your direction. :)

Anyone got any tips on staying calm? One week to go!
I've done my homework, completed all the tests.
I totally respect and trust my medical team.
I have no known underlying health conditions.
My heart is very healthy other than needing an AVR and AA repair.
I am looking forward to getting to the other side and being back in control.

Last edited:
Heart of the Sunrise- AVR in the Early Spring

I had some anti anxiety meds to help me through the rough spots. Funny thing...I didn't really have to take them, just knowing they were available if needed helped a ton.

H.O.T.S.

My advice is to pray for reassurance and confidence that everything will go well (because it will). In the weeks before my surgery, I was starting to worry that my condition was deteriorating. I wasn't worried about a successful surgery, I was worried about having to change my plans since the surgery was scheduled, the hotel for my wife was booked and the plane tickets were bought. I wanted everything to go as planned.

One day, about two weeks before surgery, I was sitting in my office worrying when I heard a voice inside me that said "trust God". I was instantly reassured and remembered that I've always been able to trust God. This situation was no different.

I volunteer at a local hospital and visit heart patients in the CCU. One day, I was talking with a guy who was two days away from open heart surgery. He said he was worried so I told him about my experience. When I told him to pray and to listen for that same reassuring voice, I noticed his wife was smiling. She said "he heard it yesterday."

Guyswell:
Thanks for the advice… I’ve got that in full motion and a very long prayer chain and support through our new church. Waiting to hear that voice reassuring me that I will be okay…I also plan on volunteering at hospital and help others who are facing OHS.

Use your family for support in the upcoming days. I relyed heavily on my wife (her name is Karen as well). We talked about what I was afraid of going into this, and also what she was afraid of. It helped take the edge off of things for both of us and made the time pass alittle easier. Also, playing with my kids and dogs ( 2 australian shephards) were great de-stressers.

Good luck and see you on the other side!!

gazebo for vr.jpgBeen a good week. Ramping down at work. Finishing up our to-do list. Outside furniture and Gazebo set-up for recooperating and enjoying the springtime! Many phone calls and visits from friends. I am starting to feel at ease and peaceful. I am looking forward to getting beyond surgery and start my recooperation. Looks most likely that my first Sunday back to church will be Easter. I think that is perfect and should be a wonderful experience to remember.:thumbup:

Thanks, kimcdougc, I can truly say that the comments of many on VR.org that ... "the waiting is the hardest part".... is so true! It's been the longest 5.5 months of my life! I am now just a few days from surgery. I look forward to being on the other side and move on!. Use your time wisely. Do your homework. Research your condition. Research the remedies for it.Then find the best hospital and surgeon near you! Then schedule your surgical date wisely. Time is not on your side when you have a BAV and an Aortic Aneuryism. You'll find alot of experience and help here!

Last edited:
Well, I just got the call from the University of Pennsylvania. Looks like I got my wish.I am first up for surgery on Monday.
We need to be at the hospital admissions office @ 6 am.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best for March 18th.
I wish we were as organised this side of the pond as to when we see cardiologist/surgeons etc. I haven't even got past the GP for my MRI yet!

As a nurse of more than 25 years and having had OHS I can honestly say that those with a positive attitude and who do as they are asked whilst in recovery come out of the experience with a lot less problems and a smoother recovery. So onwards and upwards and look forward to hearing from you in the post- op pages.:cool:

H.O.T.S,

Just want to let you know I will be thinking of you and sending good vibes for Monday morning. Your going to do great and I can't wait to hear from you on the other side. I know it's been a long wait for you too, it truly is the toughest part. I have followed all your posts and know you are ready and well prepared. With mended hearts, we stay bonded forever. Talk to you soon.

Thanks Oilman: I too believe I will do just fine. Just reviewed all of my pre-admission testing results.
I am very healthy other than my BAV & AA. So, surgery should go fine and I fully expect to meet the scheduled expectations of working toward a full recovery.
Best of luck on your continued recovery.Lexy says "Hi"...here she is stealing a late night snack!:thumbup::biggrin2:

Attachments

• nuthead head in a can.jpg
    nuthead head in a can.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
HotS, wishing you well and a speedy recovery. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and sending good thoughts your way. You've got this. I look forward to hearing from you on the other side and as a new member to the zipper club.

Thanks to everyone for their generosity in sharing their experiences,wisdom and kind words.This helped clarify my understanding of my condition and helped me make what I felt was the right choice for me. I am actually very calm and peaceful. In less than 8 hours I will be at the Admissions Office at Penn.
I am gonna try to get some sleep. We will be up getting at 3 AM. Thanks, to everyone and I will see you on the other side!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back