Heart of the Sunrise- AVR in the Early Spring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heart Of The Sunrise

I have various posts on the site some in this pre-surgery folder.
This thread will be specific to my preparation for surgery in the spring.
I spoke with my cardio today......he reminded me that my surgical necessity is not super urgent.
Through his assistance I finally have a rough timeline going.
December 18th- follow-up with cardio on 12/4's catherization and transespochageal-echocardigram.
Initial results- absolutely no coronary heart disease and my mitral valve is fine. So it is an AVR and aortic root repair for me!
And finally my initial appointment with the best surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital on February 19th, 2013.
So my guess is that my surgery will be sometime in mid to late April. It sure would be appropriate if my surgery day fell
on my birthday of April 12th.

Last edited:
April 12th is a very good day, Justin will turn 25 next year. Honestly living in the area and Justin having several heart surgeries at all different times of the year, spring is a much better time for recovery than your earlier hopes of Jan or Feb. Its much easier to get all your walks each day in when it isnt freezing and miserable.

You'll have plenty of time to put your ducks in a row and prepare for surgery. Early spring is a good time to have it done. Weather's generally good for walking and you'll have time to recuperate before the summer heat gets too bad.

Yes indeed.
Much better time to recooperate. Be thankful for my life being saved by the gifted hands and mind of my surgeon.
Everyone on this site has that view. I do not quite know the feeling yet but,I am sure I will.
I will be able to spend time in my screened in gazebo, watching the birds, my neighbors horses, bring our African Gray “Lexy” out for company. I look forward to the walks and getting my strength back.

I have by post cath and TEE with cardio this Tuesday 12/18. Anyone out there have left bundle branch block?
I have a complete LBBB. I have learned that a pacemaker will resolve this. Anybody out there have an AVR and Aortic root repair and have a pacemaker installed for curing an LBBB condition. Would a surgeon knowing of an LBBB condition elect not to address it while doing and AVR and AR repair? I finally meet with my surgeon on 2/19.

If you want surgery in mid-April, you may want to try to get a tentative surgery date in advance of your February 19 meeting with the surgeon. I met with a surgeon and then booked the surgery date and the surgeon's next available date was four months later.

Conclusive follow-up yesterday with cardio about 12/4's cath and TEE. Also previewed possible surgical choices for upcoming discussions with surgeon.
My cardio hopes that he can move surgical consultation up to sometime in January. This would be nice as I would like to get on the other side of the mountain sooner than later. I am curious about anyone's experiences with pacemakers. Cardio says part of surgery will be a pacemaker to resolve my complete LBBB.

I did not have LBBB, but I did end up with not only valve replacement but also a pacemaker. The valve was replaced on Feb. 28th, and over the next few days they found that they couldn't manage my heart rate or rhythm. After several episodes of each sort of problem (bradycardia, tachycardia, afib, long pauses, etc.) they finally recommended a permanent pacemaker. I asked them "What are we waiting for? I want to get on with life!" The rest is history, and I haven't looked back. The pacemaker is a non-issue. After a few adjustments to the pacer and meds, I'm pretty much back to everything I did before surgery, and probably a bit more.

Go for it!

My cardio succeeded in getting my initial consultation with surgeon moved up three weeks to February 5th.
I am looking forward to getting to the other side of the mountain. I have begun what I call cardiac prehab.
I joined the YMCA and walk at least two miles per day. I have lost 6 pounds so far down from 195 to 189. Hope to be at 180 before surgery.
I credit my improved sleeping patterns to this. I am no longer lying awake dreading my surgery. SLEEPING GREAT!!!! I am also seeing a therapist working on relaxation techniques. I intend to see her regularly as part of my post surgery mental health plan, to fight off depression that I understand is common after OHS surgery. I have also re-established contact with an old lost friend who had a St. Jude mechanical valve implanted back in 1980. He also had a bicuspid valve. His surgery was at HUP in Philly. This is good therapy learn of his experiences.

My cardio succeeded in getting my initial consultation with surgeon moved up three weeks to February 5th.
I am looking forward to getting to the other side of the mountain. I have begun what I call cardiac prehab.
I joined the YMCA and walk at least two miles per day. I have lost 6 pounds so far down from 195 to 189. Hope to be at 180 before surgery.
I credit my improved sleeping patterns to this. I am no longer lying awake dreading my surgery. SLEEPING GREAT!!!! I am also seeing a therapist working on relaxation techniques. I intend to see her regularly as part of my post surgery mental health plan, to fight off depression that I understand is common after OHS surgery. I have also re-established contact with an old lost friend who had a St. Jude mechanical valve implanted back in 1980. He also had a bicuspid valve. His surgery was at HUP in Philly. This is good therapy learn of his experiences.

Heart of the Sunrise -- GREAT way to take care of yourself!!!

I love that "cardiac prehab" very cool!

Thinking about you,

Rachel

Thanks, Rachel. We cannot help the cards we are dealt. We can only play them as well as we can. I have done my research . I am getting prepared as well as I can mentally and physically. Great cardio, world class surgeon and Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. So it is AVR ascending aorta repair and most likely a a pacemaker to resolve my left bundle branch block. On a side note we will be adding two new members of the family soon. Another African Gray parrot and a Yellow Front Amazon parrot. This will add an interesting spin to recovery getting to know the new birds.......schucks no word on the parrots:(

Well, the day has finally arrived. Tommorrow I meet with my surgeon for the first time. (9 am). He has had all of my test results and other records for quite a while. I am looking forward to learning what he wants to do. I am hoping it matches what I am expecting. However, he is a gifted surgeon and no doubt has mapped out a strategic plan to fix my heart! My guess is that surgery could be as soon as early in March. So it is up early tommorrow and down to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital.

My consultation meeting with Dr. Joseph E. Bavaria (Surgeon-Extraordinaire), my surgeon @ at the Hospital University Of Pennsylvania could not have gone better today! My surgical date could have been as soon as February 25th. He gave us 5 dates to choose from. We have chosen Monday, March 18th, 2013.My research has paid off. It will be an ON-X Valve/Aortic Graft combo for me.....I asked what will my ejection fraction likely be after surgery(currently 47)? Because my heart can receive a large valve he said with confidence that it would go up to 60!!!!!- WOW!-Supercharged..No batteries necessary! I plan on home testing for INR checking.....I'll study the posts here on this subject.....what machine is the best way to go? Will insurance cover home testing? Dr.Bavaria also stated that there was only about a 5% chance that he would need to include a pacemaker in the repair and normalization of my heart.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow,you seem to accept this as a trooper. I am in the waiting room and a wreck.I am trying to learn as much as I can but the more I read the more nervous I get.My Daughter had avr last year and I was the caregiver so I do not want to go there.

Carol: I found out about my bicuspid in October 2012. I went through the fear,the denial and many a sleepness night. It got me nowhere. It became very clear after the series of standard tests. ECHO, CATH, TEE that I had to have this surgery soon. I am not an emergency situation. But my AV is thickened and severely calcified. It is not going to get better. I am asymptomatic. Time is the enemy. If I wait I will have permanent damage. I became extremely proactive. Initially I was thinking tissue valve. But as time passed and I continued to learn it was clear that the ON-X with the aortic graft was the right choice for me. So I will adapt to Coumadin...I plan on home testing. Be strong...research your doctors, hospital and valve choice. I feel blessed with my doctors and confident in my valve choice. Time to get this done and get to the other side of the mountain.

I found out last year,too.It seem to be on my mind all day and all night.If I had not been through this with my Daughter, It may not be so real. Her's was emergency...unicuspid valve. It shut down like a toilet seat....wham.

Heart, welcome and I wish you all the best. I was amazed how common this surgery is. Even so, it still is nerve racking in the pre-op seat. I also had a hard time feeling "lucky" as many would suggest; however now I am so grateful for the surgery that not only ultimately saved my life, but also skyrocketed my quality of life as well. I had no idea how bad I was feeling, until the surgery took it all away. I had no idea of my BAV and aneurysm until 2 months before surgery which was completed 8 days after my 44th Bday. One of the best presents I have every received. Peace

Latest posts

Back