Heart monitors for cycling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbysdad

When I get back up on my bike, which I anticipate happening in 2-4 weeks (I'm doing pretty well at 3 wks/3 days post-op), I'll be looking to purchase a strapless heart monitor. On a bike, unlike while running, you can't maintain steerage and safely push a button to obtain a HR reading. Are there monitors that continually display HR? I went to a few cycling vendor websites and my first scan didn't turn up such a monitor.

I have a Polar heart rate monitor, but it's not strapless. I haven't been able to find a strapless one that monitors continually. I don't have a problem when I switch to a different mode on my monitor, like checking the time, or any of the other options.

continually display HR?

as far as i know, you need a wireless chest strap for continuous hr display.

all the others i found when looking for mine were wristwatch style strapless
that required you to place one or two fingers on the watch's sensor pad.
i was looking at the reasonably-priced models, you may be able to find
something cool yet expensive like from sharper image (but for that price
you can probably buy a new carbon-fiber bike).

i've used my timex with chest strap running and biking. no discomfort
really, not even at the base of the scar. other than just starting you
won't even notice it.

Cycling Monitor

Cycling Monitor

I use a Polar CS200 on my road bike. It's wireless but does use a chest strap. I've never seen a monitor that provides continous heart rate data without requiring some kind of chest strap. The strap has never caused me any issues.

-Philip

I'm with the rest of the group on this one. I use a Garmin 305 HR monitor and it does have a chest strap. The nice thing about it you can display up to 4 windows on the screen so you can see you HR, MPH,Distance etc all at one time. Garmin does have a 305 bike model but I'm not real familiar with it, I bought my primarily for running. You can check their web at www.garmin.com
I find it to be quite accurate on both HR and distance. Comes with software so you can download it onto your computer and analyze your workout.

Kodi, try heart rate monitors.com. There is one strapless model that gives you a continuous reading---and only one that I have found anyplace I've looked on the net. It looks like it sits between your wrist and elbow (forearm I guess) and looks like you wrap it around your arm somewhat like a BP cuff....but it's not as large. When you get to the site, search for strapless continuous heart rate monitor. Hope this helps. I think it is about $100.

Midge

Strapless?

Strapless?

I realize my attempt at humor will not be appreciated by all, but I'll give it a go anyway...

Soooooo...one straps this strapless heartrate monitor to his/her arm like a blood pressure cuff? It sounds like it has to be attached to one's body to provide continous heart rate data. I wonder how it qualifies as strapless when it has to be strapped to one's arm?

For cycling, it's hard to beat a wireless heart monitor with a simple chest strap transmitter. One simply wears the chest strap transmitter and mounts the receiver on the bicycle in a location where it can be looked at with a glance while keeping both hands on the handlebars.

-Philip

hobbydad, yea , I wear a strap across my chest and I have the counter attached right next to my mileage counter. Works fine for me Debbie :)

Once again the forum comes through in spades! I began my search with the the objective of finding a strapless monitor. Cozycat's research turned up at least one strapless that continuously monitors, so I'll check that out as well.
BTW: Debbie, I'm envious that in SoCal you can join a cardio cycling group. Thinking about starting one in Cbus.

I realize my attempt at humor will not be appreciated by all, but I'll give it a go anyway...

Soooooo...one straps this strapless heartrate monitor to his/her arm like a blood pressure cuff? It sounds like it has to be attached to one's body to provide continous heart rate data. I wonder how it qualifies as strapless when it has to be strapped to one's arm?

For cycling, it's hard to beat a wireless heart monitor with a simple chest strap transmitter. One simply wears the chest strap transmitter and mounts the receiver on the bicycle in a location where it can be looked at with a glance while keeping both hands on the handlebars.

-Philip

Wow, you caught my mistake. When I wrote strapless, I meant wireless because that is exactly what I have, no wires but a strap. That goes to show what reading one word over and over does to this old brain of mine, it gets into a rut and needs help getting out. :D

Wow, you caught my mistake. :D

psst, kodi....yeah, you....old dude.....phillip wasn't directing his comment at you.

....straps this strapless heartrate monitor....

he was commenting on cozycat's post.

one strapless model.... you wrap it around your arm somewhat like a BP cuff...

you were correct in your interpretation of strapless.

....and it does have a chest strap.

you never wrote 'strapless'

old brain.....rut....needs help getting out.

Hey guys, by strapless heart rate monitor I meant one without a chest strap. It is a strapless continuous reading monitor so it, of course, has to be placed somewhere on your body to pick up your heart rate, unless it is telepathic. It is more like a strap you wrap around your forearm with the display on top so you can read it while exercising, cycling, whatever. It is a self contained, stand alone unit and the only strapless, continuous monitoring unit I saw on the many various web sites I viewed.
Midge

ooh, just stop while you're ahead......:p

...by strapless heart rate monitor I meant one without a chest strap. It is a strapless ... like a strap you wrap around your forearm .......the only strapless.....

Going "Strapless"

Going "Strapless"

There are actually a number of heart monitors that will give continous heart rate data without the use of a chest strap transmitter. These monitors are marketed as strapless because a chest strap transmitter is not used. Rather, these types of monitors attach to the wrist like a watch. Depending on one's perception, I guess one could argue that a watch band is not technically a "strap" even though it works like a strap and to some folks, looks like a strap.

The bottom line here is that the monitor has to have some kind of way to transmit heart data and that requires that the transmitter have a body contact point to pickup the data it transmits.

As a fairly serious cyclist, the obvious downside I see with a wrist mounted monitor that uses no chest strap transmitter involves control of one's bicycle. If one has to remove his hand from the handle bars to check a wrist mounted monitor, this is not a good thing.

I use a wrist type monitor when riding my mountain bike, but it does not work too well. Most of the time, I cannot do frequent checks of my heart rate because taking my hand off the handle bars creates more risk of a crash. I tend to crash often even with two hands on the handle bars. I usually look at the data when I finish riding rather than during the ride.

The receiver for my road bike actually mounts on the bike so it is easy to read heart rate data when I need it during the ride. Wearing the monitor's chest strap mounted transmitter presents no problems.

-Philip

Hobbydad, I just found this group and working on joining!!
The site is www.bikescor.com if any others want to check it out.
I sent in the paperwork to join, and I will get a newsletter each month.
The group is about 90 plus miles from me so I can't do weekly rides with them, but I called yesterday and asked if I could be a ride leader for this area and I going to find out more info. on that. Kinda of funny thinking about being a ride leader since I have no clue what I'm doing and never really have rode in a group! :D I guess I have to start somewhere, and I'm not afraid of a challange! They are going to have a ride in San Diego (about60 miles from me) first weekend in June, and I'm planning on going. They will ride about 50 miles, never gone that far yet(only 25) so we'll see how I do??? Hobby- how far can you ride?? Debbie :)

Debbie: my normal ride with fitness as the goal is 20 miles, and I usually do that solo. With a group I'm sure I can easily double that.

Gang - I don't understand why any of us needs a heart rate monitor -- we just need a second hand and can count the clicks.

Seriously, I'd like to take my 20 year old bike, replace the tires, lubricate the hell out of it, and start riding again.

My dream monitor -- one with a GPS. This can tell me where I am, possibly give me directions where I'm going, plus give me my speed. It will also tell exact time of day (which it gets from the satellites), and can be really accurate with heart rate.

It would have a large display that provides ongoing information, would mount on the handlebars or (I'm talking about a dream device) project the information on the inside of a pair of sunglasses -- focus out about 50 feet, and the data is right there, waiting to be read.

Plus, it would cost $10 and be available at Walmart.
I have one that's very close to what your requirements are. The only thing it doesn't do is project the info in the inside of sunglasses and focus out 50 Feet. It is my first garmin, and they are still available. It is a model 205. In some ways I like it better than my new 305 because the screen is bigger and easier for my old eyes to read. Unfortunately it costs somewhat more than $10 anywhere, including Walmart...but they have them.

Gang - I don't understand why any of us needs a heart rate monitor -- we just need a second hand and can count the clicks.

don't even need a second hand for that. a cheap digital from the dollar store
will work fine, actually better. but.....

if you're running or cycling you'll need a monitor. i don't mean riding your
bike a couple blocks to the mall, or maybe a short jog around the block.
for casual exercise counting clicks is fine.

but when you're doing serious exercise, you want to have a real-time no-hands
heart monitor. you'll want to be fairly accurate, as you're trying to maintain or
reach a certain percentage of max heartrate.

try to take your pulse while running is just too awkward. and while cycling,
it's too dangerous.

Latest posts

Back