Heart Medication

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeroy996

I keep reading threads about the meds people are taking. I don't want to hijack another thread but........

I'm not on any medication. Is that right?

So I don't feel left out I have self prescribed myself icecream. I hope it works.

I think icecream is about all you need to be taking!:p

As a general rule, if your replacement (and in your case the Ross procedure) goes well, I don't think you would be prescribed medication. I assume we're not talking about coumadin following mechanical replacement?

Dr. Stelzer didn't suggest an aspirin or anything? That seems to be about the only med many tissue recipients seem to be prescribed.

I'm on Lasix, but I had complications from the replacement, so I'm fighting fluid retention all the time.:mad:

to Leeroy996...the need for a lot of medications does not necessarily follow OHS. The need for medication depends on "what else may be going on". After a short time on meds post op, I went 35 years only on warfarin. Meds for cholesterol and hi-blood pressure were added in my mid-60s. These were age and lifestyle related. Warfarin continues to be the only med I take that is directly related to the surgery.

I also self-prescribed ice cream;)....and one bag of micro-wave popcorn (with butter) daily :eek::p........works for me:D

Thank you. I worry and have the same issues everybody does. My heart rate takes most of the day to settle after working out. Sometimes I'd like to be on Beta blockers, but I struggled to concentrate at work when I was on them.

I don't know what dose you were on, but maybe a teeny tiny dose might give you some relief without the side effects? I know they have a 25mg tablet of Toprol XL, the beta blocker that I am on, and I think maybe there is even a 10 mg tablet. (I was on 200mg at one time and now I take 50 mg, so I'm happy.) Also, I don't know how far out you are from surgery, but if your VR was within the past year or even two, then you can try to be patient, and maybe your symptoms will still get better on their own.

I agree about a teeny tiny dose. I was on 100 mg of Metoprolol when I had A-Fib (before the surgery) and vowed I'd never take another beta blocker. However, I am on 25 mg. (12½ in the morning, 12½ in the evening), and I have no side effects. It lowers my heart rate from about 90 bpm or so to about 75 bpm.

Personally, I'd just be patient if I were you. Your heart went through a major ordeal. It's going to take some time for your whole body to adjust to the new you. I would try some biofeedback or relaxation techniques before I went back on a drug you did not like. Of course, the advice of your cardio is imperative, so please do discuss your dilemma.

Pay attention to your oxygenations, too. Are you exhaling appropriately? You did not feel the problems in you prior to surgery, but your body knows the difference. Perhaps you are kind of in a hyper mode left over from pre-surgery? Just a silly thought.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back