Having trouble sleeping solid.. What helps you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod Harry

Sleeping off and on through the night, one hour, then awake, 2 hours, awake, all night long. Getting tired through the day.. I've tried Xanax in .25 mg, and it helps a little at first, but not all night..

What helps you sleep solid through the night? I need something with minimal next day effects. Thanks.

Gee Hot Rod, excuse my absent mindedness, how long into recovery are you?

My doctor gave me mild sleeping pills - with no morning after effects.

Your sleeplessness could from anxiety, you may not feel that is the problem; I thought the same thing. But with a mild sleeping pill I finally got some sleep.

Talk to your Doctor and see what he/she say.

Good Luck

Try two Tylenol PMs the same time you take the Xanax. Thats my combo about 1 hour before bed and I seem to have been sleeping 6 to 8 hours with only one wakeup in the night.

sleeping

sleeping

when i was into the hospital and for a little while after I took Ambien CR. It really worked well for me, without the groginess the next day. Check with your Dr. for a reccomendation Good luck....

I always use "Restavit" (Doxylamine succinate) for nights when I am restless and I also found it works great for migraines because its a mild relaxant. Its an OTC med in Austarlia and cheap at $10 can be broken into half and quarters and doesnt have much effect on the next days performance and it's also non-addictive. I would ask at the Chemist for their recommendation. I hope you get some good quality sleep soon.

Hope you're getting better sleep; it's very important for a person's health.

Harry ... My sleep gets out of whack from time to time ... It is aggravating to say the least ... I have never really used anything to help me sleep ... it just seems to resolve itself, for me ... Good luck.

Harry:
Before I went on the South Beach plan, I found that a eating a piece or two of high carb bread or toast (no jelly or sugar, please) would put me back to sleep in a short time. Now that I don't eat bread any longer, I find that reading a boring book helps.

Kind regards,
Blanche

Took me a while to sleep all night

Took me a while to sleep all night

Like some other folks said, it took me most of a year for my sleeping to get back to "normal".

I'm a 60 yo guy so "normal" involves getting up to pee once or twice most nights.

I did not take sleep meds at all.

John

Blanche said:
Harry:
Before I went on the South Beach plan, I found that a eating a piece or two of high carb bread or toast (no jelly or sugar, please) would put me back to sleep in a short time. Now that I don't eat bread any longer, I find that reading a boring book helps.

Kind regards,
Blanche

:confused: Blanche,

If you are eating South Beach Plan, why do you not eat bread? South Beach definitely encourages 'good carbs'. Have 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread. The fiber is good in our diet and necessary. South Beach is considered a relatively healthy way of eating.

If you find out, you let me know. I've been doing this for 5 years and it's driving me crazy. People told me to try sex. As of yet, I cannot verify this is true. :D

One thing that works for me is a small glass of red wine before I retire, and, as Ctyguy said, a couple of Tylenol PM's.

Good luck to you!

What helps me is lots of squishy pillows. I sleep on my side only. I hug a pillow to prop up my arms, maybe put one behind my back when I'm on my side; sometimes one between my knees. Just the notion of luxuriousness of all that comfort!

Sometimes if you just don't fight it. If you get up and do something that might encourage relaxation...read, lay back in a recliner chair, stretch out on a sofa with some soft jazz on..... for me, sometimes the bed is just not gonna work so I go somewhere else!

Good luck.

Marguerite

like a log

like a log

i have slept like a log every night since i was 3 weeks post surgery.

suggest you avoid pills and drink half a bottle of wine (my surgeon said i can get away with that much)

but a combination of wine and sex, as suggested in earlier post, would be a knock out blow!

Philip B said:
I have no doubt that others will disagree, but I believe sleep is over rated...

-Philip
I agree in a way, the problem is if I dont lay down and sleep my ankles are so
swollen the next day as to be unrecognizable. Elevating my legs without sleep doesnt seem to help as much.But I have had insomnia for years -I can sleep great during the day though, Dina
cardioversion '07

Philip B said:
I have no doubt that others will disagree, but I believe sleep is over rated...

-Philip
When you don't sleep, it ain't over rated.
nope.gif

I had sleep issues for about 3 weeks post surgery....just dissappears after a while....

But tonight 1 1/2 years after surgery my cure is chasing around after two kids in the humid heat all day and a bottle of white wine.

Should be completely still for 7 hours. :)

I am past 7 weeks now and still taking Lunesta at nite. I think its better to get good rest then to fight it. I plan on stopping after week 12 or so when things will seem much better.

Latest posts

Back