Having a beer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we have been told on here to dose your diet, not to diet your dose! So I guess that only make sense. Damn it, I didn't WANT to get drunk every single day, but if it means staying in INR range later if I have a boy's weekend... Geez, the sacrifices we make for this dreaded drug, lol. DISCLAIMER - do not try this at home! We're mostly just kidding here (although consistency is probably key, you probably don't want to actually do a six pack a day)! Listen to your doc!!!

Beer?

Beer?

Opinions vary on the subject of alcohol impacting INR and I suppose individual body responses can vary.

I've never had any kind or amount of alcohol impact my INR. I typically check it over the course of several days after consuming more than one or two beers or classes of wine. Basically, anytime I drink enough to feel a decent buzz I'll run a couple of extra tests.

There's always an element of caution in responses to questions like yours because no one really knows how different individuals will respond to alcohol.

-Philip

Your perfectly fine to drink in moderation, unless your predisposed to ulcers. The big deal with drinking is getting GI bleed going.

As for INR, some people it goes up, some, it goes down, most it does nothing. All you can do is have a couple then test to see which group your in.

I drink everyday..sometimes 2 beers, sometimes 2 beers and 2 martinis...consistency really is the key but I've been on Coumadin for 10 years and as long as you are 'fairly consistent' your OK...one doc told me in a half kidding way..."Go ahead and drink a six pack, just make sure you do it every day!"

Just watch those martinis and count the olive-laden toothpicks!
American novelist Sherwood Anderson (1876-1941) died of peritonitis from a perforated intestine after having ingested a toothpick while enjoying one too many martinis. Saw something about this on "Dr. G: Medical Examiner" and googled for more info on it.

Does alcohol effect the same part of the blood as INR tests? You know, like how lovenox doesn't change your INR because it acts on a different part. So even if your INR stays the same, it might still be effecting your coagulation rate?

That being said, I still drink occasionally (in moderation). Not beer though. It's gross. I prefer Margaritas on the rocks! Yum!

Does alcohol effect the same part of the blood as INR tests? You know, like how lovenox doesn't change your INR because it acts on a different part. So even if your INR stays the same, it might still be effecting your coagulation rate?

That being said, I still drink occasionally (in moderation). Not beer though. It's gross. I prefer Margaritas on the rocks! Yum!

In some people, it can mess with the clotting cascade just like Warfarin. All you can do is have a couple of drinks and see if it affects your INR or not. Most people, it doesn't.

In nearly ten years of being on Coumadin, I've never been able to observe a direct correlation between my INR and alcohol consumption. I normally have one or two glasses of red wine with dinner 4-5 days per week, and occasionally more on the weekends.
Mark

Latest posts

Back