Have a surgery date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

Hi,

Someone from the Heart Institute just called to give me appointments for my pre-surgery consult and my surgery date. Even though I knew it was coming, I'm terrified. It's all real now.

The surgery will be April 24th. I don't think I'll be painting my house this spring as I had planned!

Finding this site has been a blessing.

xox

I know it doesn't feel like it

I know it doesn't feel like it

but this is a good thing. The sooner the ball gets rolling and things start to come togehter the sooner you will be able to live a normal life again. I wish you all the luck in the world. Please come to us before then and after for advise, words of wisdom and comfort. Peggy

Thanks Peggy!

You're right, it is a good thing. It will be good to move on. It's also a good time of year over here. The spring is not too hot and I'll have perfect weather for getting outside and walking. Plus, I'll have the summer off and will hopefully be feeling well enough to enjoy it!

A-M

Something about getting a solid date puts a big lump in your throat. I'm trying to remember Johnny Stephens saying about this, something about feeling like you've been bluffing and they called your bluff? Anyway, it's good that things are starting to get rolling and you'll soon be on your way to a healthy life and able to paint that place next year.

Stick around and talk with us until then. Hopefully, you can get someone to post on your behalf while your in the hospital?

Anne-Marie,

I know what you mean. I am now almost three weeks away. It really sunk in the day I met with the surgeon and we set a date. I have not had any panic (yet) though. I have been diverting surgery thoughts by:

*Doing projects at home (cleaned out and redecorated one unused room in my house which I've turned into what will be a fun "Recovery Room").

*Doing deep breathing, meditation, and guided imagery. Any spiritiuality you practice is very helpful.

*Trying to do as many fun things as possible, including making fun out of even serious stuff like here at work (they can't wait to get rid of me).

*And maybe most important - visit this site often. When i get the slightest twinge of fear, I come here. Can ask serious questions and get a tremendous amount of support or I like to go to "Small Talk" and get silly as some can attest. It is proven that people do best before and after surgery with support groups in place. This has certainly become (and will stay) my support group.

I know I speak for everyone when I say to always feel free to contact any and all of us. If you're able to figure out what specifically terrifies you, then it's even easier to get some comfort. I decided to learn everything about the surgery itself and I researched and could do one if I had to (God save the patient, of course:rolleyes: )

April is a good time to do the surgery and that is one reason I picked that month. The weather here in Denver will be perfect as I recover and can walk outside before it gets in the '90's (assuming our snowstorms end by then).

Take care, Anne-Marie.

Paul

Anne-Marie:

Congratulations on setting a date. It's kinda like setting the wedding date - oh, goody; OH NO. I'm 54; and depsite having had other really serious health issues over the years, this is the one that made me feel like I've finally, totally, irrevocably GROWN UP. Believe me, the sooner the better - you have to be so sick before it's done that you don't want to go any further without the surgery than necessary.

Take Paul's advice and do stuff around the house you've been putting off. If you don't have one, go buy a recliner that fits you. You'll wear it out.

Buy enough books to get you through several weeks. Or crossword puzzle books or whatever you like. Get a few good movies. And make sure you have a few sets of lounging pj's.

And keep checking in here because I really missed the boat not having this bunch around when I was sweating the pre-surgical time. They are the answer to many prayers; and some of 'em are even really good "prayers."

Georgia

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

We had a new member to have his surgery this morning. 1 down and 3 to go this week. BE SURE and read all post-surgery threads coming up. I just heard by private e-mail that Ray..who had surgery this morning..is out and in Cardiac ICU....and Paul, Ken O'dell ...will be having their's in April too....Great time of year..Weather is nice and you yall can get out and walk outsides.. VERY important..gets the Nasty stuff out of your body..Then it's uphill ALL the way.:D :D Bonnie

Bonnie should know

Bonnie should know

She celebrates 1 year post op tomorrow. Congrats to you Bonnie. Many many more to come. Peggy

It's so nice to read all your posts, they really help a great deal. Logically I should have been relieved to have a date. When I first heard I'd need surgery, I researched and located this site. The initial panic and dread subsided after reading such reassuring histories and threads. Once again, you've helped me to calm down, take a few deep breaths and focus on what is important.

I've been hanging out at the post-surgery forum these days because it is very comforting to hear of all the people who get through this just fine. Granbonny, great news about Ray, thanks!

I'm making a note of all those great suggestions as well. Paul, I just moved into this house in December and have been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can paint and decorate. Well, what a great idea to get a room readyas a recovery room just for me. The front livingroom is rarely used and in desperate need of a paint job. It also houses the recliner, so it's the perfect candidate. I'll make sure I have a computer in there as well! That reminds me of the saying "when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!". After I told my husband about your suggestion, I pulled out my catalogues and started making plans!:) It really does make me feel better!

xox

Anne-Marie: oh, yeah - forgot about the computer thing. And that was my major demand - because our computer room's upstairs, I told mine spouse that I wanted him to rent a laptop so I could use it wherever (the other option was moving the PC har har). I also told him that it needed to be here and ready to go when I got home.

Never saw him move so fast; confabbed with coworkers and found a place that sells used laptops that the State offloads; got a really nice one for a low price and I love it. When first home I hauled it around; I was afraid I'd wake up in the middle of the night & want to surf (NEVER woke up for longer than an additional pain killer took to work). I found that the laptop is great because I could use it in my trusty recliner and was able to stay online MUCH longer.

The other thing I found really handy was a plastic 2-step stool that fit in the shower. The first few days home I felt pretty light-headed in the shower so I was able to sit down.

Just think - redecorating absolutely consumes ya - good choice. And spending is always great.

Georgia

Georgia, I hadn't even thought about the shower, that's a great idea. Wouldn't be good to fall and crack my head!

And I'll be sure to have the laptop updated with my new bookmarks! I am a pretty lousy typist at the best of times, I wonder what a few painkillers will do!:eek:

Thanks again, Georgia. I read that you just had your surgery 7 weeks ago. How are you feeling now? What has your recovery been like in terms of when you could do things again? I haven't been working since December. I was sick with pneumonia and that was when they discovered that my heart's pumping function was decreased. My job involves heavy lifting, so of course I was told to stay off work until further tests were done. Now with the surgery, I'm not sure how long it will be before I can work again.

Thanks Georgia, I really appreciate hearing from you:)

Hi, Anne-Marie! I was fine at Christmas (I felt fine, I obviously WAS not fine); by ML King Day (Jan. 17 ) I couldn't lie down at night and was out of breath carrying a plate to the sink. I thought I had pneumonia; I was wrong. I had congestive heart failure (chf) because my mitral and tricuspid valves were shot. I had surgery Feb. 3.

The surgeon repaired both valves, but when he checked them the mitral valve didn't work and he had to put in a mechanical valve.

The recovery is remarkably quick. I got out of the hospital in four days; when I got home I needed help going DOWN the one step to my bedroom from the main part of the house; the next day it was no problem.

Was off all painkillers (except tylenol) in less than 2 weeks. Typing became much easier at that point. lol

At this point I'm still on disability from work, although I don't do any lifting. The doc said that the sternum doesn't completely heal until 3 months, so at this time I'm limited to 25#. I have no idea how long you'll have to wait to do heavy lifting; someone here will let you know.

For me, stamina's the issue. I just get really tired and have to rest. I have no discomfort during regular activities except for occasional twinges around the incision; if I do something too hard (like accidentally picking up my grandson) the bod lets me know. I'm in cardiac rehab & love it and am exercising harder and harder all the time (I was in lousy shape prior to being sick). I started driving at 4 weeks post surgery.

I've been exceedingly lucky (knock wood) in surgery and recovery. I'm on a slew of meds including coumadin because of the mechanical valve. The only real problem I'm having now is rapid pulse that doesn't seem to want to come down. We're working on it now.

I'll be going back to work at the end of April. I suggested August but the cardiologist wasn't particularly amused (a joke, of course). I think by then I'll be better able to concentrate for long periods of time which is what I really need to do (I write auto and homeowners insurance contracts).

I go out to lunch with my friends and coworkers and go to movies and stage shows.

Hope this wasn't too long-winded. Certainly recovery is idiosyncratic and also depends on the shape you're in when you have surgery.

And my last little suggestion of the night: I found CRU (I guess cardiac ICU elsewhere) to be insufferably noisy and what I heard was stressful. I had Jim bring in a personal CD player and some wonderful soothing sounds. It helped me a great deal.

Georgia

Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Anne-Marie,

Please apologize to your husband for me for inspiring you to pull out the catalogues and start shopping.:D

Paul

Georgia!

No worries about being long winded, it's exactly what I need to hear right now. The recovery stories are the best!

I hadn't thought about the noise level. The last time I was in the hospital, I had a nice quiet private room off in the corner of the unit. I'll have to pack some CDs and a player.

Paul,

I told my husband that you told me that a new wardrobe, sore-incision-sore-chest-broken-bone friendly was an absolute must! Fortunately all the latest fashions are sore body friendly. :D

CD player was the best thing...

CD player was the best thing...

Didn't see what you were going in for, but a portable CD player was perfect for blocking out the clicking from my new heart valve. I would suggest picking up some earbud type headphones, as they are more comfortable when trying to sleep.

Congrats on your date!

Up and Clicking...

Up and Clicking...

Hi Bonnie!

Today has been the best day so far. Tomorrow will be two weeks, and this is the first time I have actually felt like getting on the laptop. Just gotta remind myself not to do too much too fast!

Been getting on the treadmill once or twice a day. Can't wait until I can get back up into the hills hiking!:D

Thanks,

Will

Threadmill?

Threadmill?

Don't go pull your arms too much:eek: Might feel soreness in your chest..:p What's wrong with just getting outside and walking around the house? 2 weeks is still too early..for you to do anything but nap..take meds..and let us know how you are doing:D :D :D Bonnie

Taking it slow...

Taking it slow...

Don't worry, I've been taking it slow. No arm movements, just setting it to about 2 MPH and walking about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Don't want to push it. Yet.

If I go out I feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind. I can't take their pulling yet, but look forward to the day when I can throw the ball for tem again.

God love you for looking out for us, Bonnie!

Will you be at the reunion? I'm going to try to make it out there...

Will

Hi Will, glad to hear you're coming along fine. I was very happy to read your progress reports on the post-surgery forum!

I'll be having an aortic valve replacement but I haven't had my consultation with the surgeon yet, so I'm not sure what type of valve I'll get. When I worked night shift, I slept with a noisy fan to block out any noise outside my room. I should be able to get used to sleeping with some sort of white noise if I get a mechanical valve.

Latest posts

Back