Have a date set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnff2

Hi everyone. This is my first post, I have been looking around for a couple of months. I scheduled surgery last week for subaortic membrane removal and possible aortic valve replacement on Nov 20th. I will have a cath on Nov 12th to look at the aortic valve to determine if it needs to be replaced. I had the subaortic membrane removed 23yrs ago at the age of 14 (and it has come back), I'm 37 now. I am so glad to have found this site. It makes me feel "normal" about all of the anxieties (stress) I am having about all of "this". I am an emergency department nurse (and past transplant coordinator) and have all kinds of medical knowledge, and I often think, actually too much knowledge when it comes to me. To top it all off my husband, 4yr old son and I are leaving on a cruise next week. Both my cardiologist and surgeon have cleared me to go. I am not having the surgery at the hospital I work at, I am actually going to the hospital I had the first surgery at. I have also had the privilege to work alongside and see my surgeon perform heart transplant surgery at this hospital. So I am very comfortable with my decision on who and where my surgery is taking place.

So that's a little, well alot, about me, thank you all for contribuiting to a board such as this.

Kerri

Welcome, and good luck with your surgery. Mine is next week,, so i can imagine your stress level..but this place is great, and helps alot. Wonderful people here.

Welcome! Lots of luck (well you already know what you are going to go through :)......wishing you good luck with the surgery, and have a great time on the cruise...!

Hi Kerri, Welcome, I'm not the heart person, my 21 year old son is, but I wanted to let you know if you haven't found them yet, there is a really good forum at the Adults w/ CHD org you might also enjoy http://achaheart.org/
Have a great time on the cruise, it sounds like the perfect thing to do right now. Lyn

Hey RNFF2,
Sounds like you have things lined up and taken care of. As far as the cruise, my favorite thing on cruises is the bread pudding-YUM! Please eat some for me.... but don't over do it. You know how easy it is to gain weight on those things, don't you? Try to relax and enjoy the scenery and your family. Pretty soon you will also cruise in and take care of this heart thing and before you know it, it will all be behind you. Life is good.
Take care
John

welcome to VR, Kerri. nice to see you here with us. You can no doubt add a lot from your experiences. we need everybody. best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Have a wonderful cruise with your family and then get ready. for now, let it all go.

Hi Kerri and welcome aboard. My, my -- you certainly are well versed due to your working life amongst health professionals including CT surgeons.

Best wishes to you as you go on this journey, but first you've got a cruise to have fun on...so go and enjoy..! Uh, is this gonna get you outta cooking Thanksgiving dinner..:D

Hi Kerri,
Just wanted to add another warm welcome to this forum. I hope you get a little reprieve by enjoying your cruise!
Will be thinking of you.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcomes and thoughts.

Having "friends" in high places does have some good points. My regular cardiologist and I run into each other in the ER almost weekly. He keeps close tabs on me, and if there is anything I need he is there for me. He has already offered to put me off work till my surgery. :eek: But with FMLA I get 12 weeks, and I want to make sure I have enough recovery time, so I think I'll try and work up to my cath date. It can also be hard being in the "in" crowd because I get a little stubborn and don't want to listen to them when they tell me to slow down or take care of myself. I guess I just have to learn how to be a good patient. :rolleyes:

We have had this cruise planned for almost a year. And I plan on not letting anything stop us from going. It is our 6th cruise, 2nd with our 4yr old son. We are actually meeting up with some friends we met last year on our cruise and she plans on "pampering" me all week long. So I'm sure we will enjoy every minute.

One of you said you hoped my 6 week wait would go by quickly...I can't say that I agree with that thought just yet. ;) I feel like everything is coming at me too fast. You know the anticipation of waiting for a vacation and it takes sooooo long to get here, I'm actually hoping mine takes a long time to get here...in my mind when vacation is over the prep for surgery starts, even though I have a few weeks in between.

Thanks again for all the support.
Kerri

Latest posts

Back