Has anyone had a life-altering spiritual awakening since surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heart Of The Sunrise

I am curious if anyone has had a significant interesting epiphany since surgery?
Do you have a new sense of purpose in your life. We do not often get a second chance in life.
Everyone on this forum has been blessed by this. I would love to hear of any uplifting spiritual awakenings.
I am sure this will help all of us in the uncertain pre-surgery state of disbelief and acceptance.:angel:

Every single day!

Pretty much everything I do since surgery has a new significance. I also found that there were a lot of things in my life that I really didn’t want to deal with any longer as well (bad relationships, etc).
One major difference that I recently found myself undergoing was how important the presidential election became for me and my family.
I am almost 2 years post op with the repair of my aortic aneurism, under the regular system in this country; I would be, for the most part, uninsurable. I never missed voting in an election but after OHS, I felt like I was voting for my life!

These were just a few epiphanies I had.

I'm not at all religious, but during and since my op this June I've developed a strong and renewed appreciation of how lucky I am to be surrounded by the (mostly) friends and (some) family that I am, and in general I do look at things quite differently.

I spent quite a lot of the 2 months I was in hospital thinking about the things I might never have the chance to do ever again and the things I'd never done at all, so now I'm busy doing stuff the doctors probably wouldn't recommend and wondering if it'd be safe to, y'know, jump out of a plane, or when it'll be safe for me to disappear into Asia or America for a few months with nothing but a backpack and a camera. Some of my friends think that attitude is nuts but for me it's more about the difference between giving in to something, fully or partially, and outright beating it. And that attitude in itself makes me feel a bit selfish sometimes, purely because of the awakening I had that made me realise that these friends and family really do care quite a lot about me - so I guess it's made me feel more connected to life and to the people around me, even if I am a bit self-destructive at times... :)

Not really an awakening but a greater appreciation for my life, family and everything I have. I wrote about it but it is pretty long, don't know if it would be appreciated on a forum post.

Well, no major new epiphanies (defined as a feeling of a breakthrough insight), however I had been having many of those for several years prior to learning of my heart defect and subsequent AVR soon thereafter. But the operation and endocarditis scare beforehand certainly gave me a few more gray hairs that seem to want to stand out and be counted (I guess the experience has made me stronger :)). Most of my life I had been one of those quick to compromise for the good of the workgroup, friends and family kinds of people (not that this is a bad thing). I think we all have a story leading up to our surgeries. I’ve been the type of person who was always willing to take a number and sit down in the back row to wait patiently for my turn, a person who often took better care of others than himself, and who sometimes let others take advantage of his disposition. Although I had several incredibly wonderful nurses and an excellent surgeon, during the months before surgery, along with the hospital stays and the month long infusion therapy, I had to dig down deep to teach myself to stand up to a few less-than-ideal health care worker situations. The benefits of these lessons still linger—I’m better at standing up for myself.

But more so during my heart experience I met a lot of wonderful people making the best of difficult situations. I saw courageous people battle big things, for example, the jovial guy who I chatted with while we were both being prepped for the same surgery who ended up suffering a stroke during his surgery. I spoke with his family during our group discharge meeting as he wasn’t able to attend, they were staying positive but I could see the concern in their eyes, I left hoping that this guy would fully recover. But I digress, this operation is very successful and the surgery teams are so experienced that it’s become fairly routine to them. I kept a positive attitude during my two hospital stays, it helped.

I guess, like many of us, my appreciation for what others go through who have even larger hurdles in life got bigger. I feel there’s more to appreciate, I feel I’ve been lucky to have been able to do the things I loved in my youth, and still able to be very physically active to this day. I feel I don’t want to waste time, but to experience little things better, and I pretty much do most of the time. Like others have said, every morning and every day is an opportunity to feel fortunate to be alive to experience more of life and to feel compassion for others going through challenges of their own. My gal says I’m a corny sentimentalist (but most of the time she says I’m a courageous survivor, and I can tell she means it). You too will be known as a survivor, and will takeaway from the experience what is important to you. Best wishes!

I came to my valve replacement via an 11th hour emergency surgery, after 48 hours in which my mitral valve regurgitation was mistaken for pneumonia. I don't remember anything from the desperate hours before the correct diagnosis was reached, but I have been told how hard it was on my family, and how they stayed by my side throughout the ordeal. During that time and since, other family and friends have come out of the woodwork with support and help. As a result of this, I have become far closer to so many people than I was before, and have never felt so appreciated and cared for in my life. Above all, it has brought my wife and I so much closer together; we have always had a great relationship, but now we truly understand the depth of our love for each other, and I know without a shade of doubt that she would be with me through anything life could throw at us. Likewise, my bond with my sons and my daughter in law has been strengthened, forged by the experience. I have been told of how they all dropped everything and ran to my side when I was in real trouble, how they stayed with me for the next week, and of the tears they shed when the outcome looked very gloomy indeed. This has been the silver lining in the whole experience; bringing me so much closer to all the really important people in my life, making me truly appreciate all of them, and making me value every day I get to spend with them. Strangely enough, I am kind of glad it all happened, just for that reason. Maybe all this doesn't really count as a "spiritual" awakening in the classic sense; I certainly have not experienced a religious epiphany; but it is deep and profound, and feels pretty spiritual to me!

Latest posts

Back