Gradient numbers still rising

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

Hey gang,
I had posted about my gradient numbers a few months ago. If you recall they had almost doubled from June to August. The last numbers were:
Peak gradient: 59 mmHg
Mean gradient: 33 mmHg

The echo done last week

Peak gradient was 66mmHg
Mean gradient was 37 mmHg

This rise is over a three month period.
The first numbers on my first echo post op were

Peak gradient: 31.14
Mean gradient: 18.2

So the gradient numbers are clearly rising. I have an appointment with Cardio on the 20th of this month, so Thursday. I am just wondering if we are going to do the same ole song and dance; yes they are high we'll watch them. When should I worry about this whole gradient rise situation. They want me to have weight loss surgery, that is still up in the air. I'm still also waiting on a disablity ruling, this whole thing really sucks. I'm tired all the time, still have no endurance. The tech who did the last echo asked me what was the worst part of the surgery and I thought for a minute and told him, honestly the worst part is just going through the whole surgery and still not feeling any better, to me that's the worst part.

I guess I'm still really depressed right now. I've been dealing with bleeding diverticulitis and bleeding internal and external hemhorroids for over 5 weeks now, so that's been no walk in the park. They are telling me I need to see a surgeon about the hemhorroids, it seems that's their answer to everything; surgery.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!

Lisa,
Don't forget that the numbers recorded via echocardiogram aren't reliably accurate. The numbers you've posted are higher, but not by that much. Any error in the peak gradient will result in a higher mean gradient.

You have several different medical issues going on, and I would guess that would impact your quality of life and the symptoms you are dealing with. Is it possible to get them resolved in the near future?

Hi Lisa,

Chris' gradients went up considerably post op in the first year. After a year it all settled and the gradients stabilised. I'm hoping that this will be the case for you also.

Hang in there!

Cheers,

Yolanda

If those were my numbers, I would want to know WHY the Gradient has risen since surgery (and is this a sign that the Valve or the surgery is failing).

Is your Surgeon aware of those numbers?

If not, send him a copy of the reports.
He may also want to review the actual film or CD of the Echo so that he can see what's going on with his own eyes.

You may need to get an unbiased opionion from an outside source to get a complete and honest evaluation.

Thanks for the responses. I have an appointment with Cardio, but not my usual one, tomorrow. I will ask him about the numbers and see what he has to say. I don't know to worry or not to worry, some of you seem to think the numbers are ok and some say I should be concerned. What would be considered a "good" number as far as this goes, I don't think I've heard. What do most of your numbers run? I guess it has something to do with the moderate stenosis on my "new" valve. How common is it for a new valve to have stenosis so soon after OHS? It actually showed up on my first echo post op; 6 months after surgery.

Also looking back on my echos before my surgery, none of those even mentioned my gradient numbers, I looked back to compare to what the echos are saying now, but no luck as they all list 2D-M Mode Measurements but no Doppler Measurements.

Thanks again

Hey gang
I just wanted to update on my visit to the Cardio, although there's not much to tell. I asked about the gradient numbers and his response was " the increase wasn't drastic". He went on to tell me that I am aware that the valve is going to have to be replaced and I need to work on my anxiety as there is nothing I can do to change that fact. I asked him how long did he think this valve would last and he said he wouldn't even want to guess.

Just wanted to update. Thanks everybody.

Hi Lisa,

Doesn't sound like you have a very informative or sympathetic doctor. Perhaps it might be time for a second opinion? Chris' gradients jumped up to 52mmHG at 6 months post surgery and on the echo 6 months later again it went down to 42mmHg. 4 years on and the gradient remains stable at 42mmHg.

Keep us posted,

Yolanda

Latest posts

Back