Got another echo last week and follow up with doc today. Got bad news!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firrone79

I am progressing a lot faster than they thought I would. Had my first echo in July of last year and had my follow up in February which is when I found out about my BAV. At that point my valve was I think 1.4-1.5 and my aorta was fine with no dilation. Today I found out that my valve is now 1.1 and not sure where it is located but I now have an aortic aneurysm and it is at a 4.1. He said I will most likely have surgery in a year or two. He said due to the fast progression he wants me to come back in 3 months for another echo and depending on the results of it I will either see him right after the echo or in 6 months. I don't have a copy of the echo report yet, waiting on them to mail it to me along with a copy of my first one with them.

Sounds quite similar to me, but mine was 1.1 at detection, 0.9 nine months later and 0.7 three months after that. Surgery 3 months after the last echo. My ascending aorta was about the same size (borderline). I had everything fixed.

This is a lot faster than the statistical average of 0.1cm sq change per year. There is enough variability in test results that it bears repeating AND looking at other aspects (gradient pressures, LV size and function) before you put a lot of weight in it. Also, perhaps you will stabilize at around 1, which for many people is very livable but for others causes symptoms. That's what I was hoping, but it continued to progress and the amount of calcification seen on my valve was alarming. BTW, I never really had any symptoms (perhaps because I was a marathon runner earlier in my life), but my test results were so bad I needed the work done soon.

The bottom line is that when a valve begins to degenerate more rapidly it needs to be watched much more closely. It is to your benefit to push for surgery sooner rather than later. Recovery from surgery when you are still healthy should go much better than waiting until your heart is more damaged. When you get your report, you will probably see a notation relating to thickening of the left ventricle wall which is a natural consequence of aortic stenosis. If the thickening progress very far, your recovery can be prolonged which is not to your advantage. This is one of those times when you have little to gain by waiting.

Larry

Sounds quite similar to me, but mine was 1.1 at detection, 0.9 nine months later and 0.7 three months after that. Surgery 3 months after the last echo. My ascending aorta was about the same size (borderline). I had everything fixed.

This is a lot faster than the statistical average of 0.1cm sq change per year. There is enough variability in test results that it bears repeating AND looking at other aspects (gradient pressures, LV size and function) before you put a lot of weight in it. Also, perhaps you will stabilize at around 1, which for many people is very livable but for others causes symptoms. That's what I was hoping, but it continued to progress and the amount of calcification seen on my valve was alarming. BTW, I never really had any symptoms (perhaps because I was a marathon runner earlier in my life), but my test results were so bad I needed the work done soon.

My cardio had mentioned the drastic change and said that he trusted the the report cause there was changes in everything that they look for to prove that the valve size reading is fairly accurate. I can't remember right off hand everything he mentioned in regards to what makes him believe that the drastic change is accurate, but I know he mentioned the mean velocity and something else that had a big change in them as well. I am hoping that when I go back in October for my 3 month echo that there isn't much if any changes with the valve and aorta. He also said that my valve is starting to cone.

The bottom line is that when a valve begins to degenerate more rapidly it needs to be watched much more closely. It is to your benefit to push for surgery sooner rather than later. Recovery from surgery when you are still healthy should go much better than waiting until your heart is more damaged. When you get your report, you will probably see a notation relating to thickening of the left ventricle wall which is a natural consequence of aortic stenosis. If the thickening progress very far, your recovery can be prolonged which is not to your advantage. This is one of those times when you have little to gain by waiting.

Larry

This is all so new to me that I am still trying to wrap my head around it!! I have had a total of 3 echos in the last year. One in July of 11, one in Feb/march of 12 and then the one last week. The July of 11 and Feb/March one didn't have much of a change in them, which said mild stenosis and aorta had no dilation. I know heart doc says a year or two, but I am scared that when I go for the one in 3 months it will come back showing time for surgery! Part of me is scared to death of the thought of the surgery, but then again part of me wishes we could go on and do it so I don't have to worry about it any longer!

All of us who have had the surgery have walked in your shoes and it isn't fun! This is honestly the hardest part. Keep in mind that this kind of surgery is done all the time - it's just another day at the office for the surgeons and their teams and the success rates are around 98% or so.
I can tell you truthfully that the surgery was a blessing for me - I have not felt this good in a long, long time and it keeps getting better!!
All will be well. :)

Thank you Karla! I think my biggest fear is the recovery period. My house and the every day work around the house stuff. I know that my family will help me out in terms of care for myself, my house and my kids. But I HATE having to rely on other people!! When I have to do that I feel like I am being a burden to them!

I agree with Karla, and also hear what you are saying firrone. I am a very much Type A, must stay in control, but to my surprise when I got lots of help from Fam, etc., it felt nice and they made things lots easier. When/If they tell you that the surgery is needed, it's all going to be ok. I think the toughest part was anticipation, once you are on the other side things become routine and maintainable.

Latest posts

Back