Good to be back home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ Don

First I want to thank everyone on this forum for sharing their stories, good will, etc. It's been so helpful in so many ways.

I went in early May 22 for surgery. An expected 4-5 hour surgery was completed in 3 because the aneurysm was on the opposite side of the aortic root as the coronary arteries, so the Dr. notched the end of the graft and attached it to the healthy part of the root and extended it a little farther on the other side to attach directly to my valve. This avoided any need to re-implant the coronary arteries into the aortic root, or to graft them. One was very short and the Dr. was concerned he would not have enough to work with and so would have to take a graft from my leg. Transferred out of ICU on day 2, chest tubes pulled on day 3, did .5mi worth of laps around the floor on day 4, home on day 5 - released almost exactly 4 days from the time I came out of surgery.

Over all I'm doing very well. My spirometer readings are more than double what they were at first. Walked about 1 mile total (not all at once) the day I was released and it was so nice to take a shower. Once I got the IV's pulled was able to monitor my HR during the walks. At about a 2mph pace, my HR averaged 105 and I didn't get winded, ever, though my legs felt weak when I first walked on day 2. I could walk faster but I am trying to keep my heart rate low. Prior to surgery (I was asymptomatic) my HR averaged around 90 at a 3mph pace. Pain is minimal except for coughing. Even coughing was not so bad at first but on day 4 I developed a tickle in my throat and the pain increased with more coughing. Getting better at managing this with my new best friend: ice.

The biggest issue I had was the breathing tube: gagged a few times. There was nothing to be done about this other than for me to try to relax, to stay awake, and to do my best when they tested my lung strength so I could get the tube out as soon as possible. After they took it out I felt drier than a bone but was not allowed to drink. Finally was allowed to suck on a wet sponge and then ice chips occasionally and I took them every chance I got. I was surprised that when I was finally allowed liquids that it was limited to 1800cc per day. (I would probably drink twice this if I could). A limit that is in place at least until my first follow-up with the Dr, in 1-2 weeks. Apparently retaining liquid post op is a big concern, so not only is there a limit on intake but I am on a diuretic as well. Also had some mild headaches, mild nausea, probably from taking Percoset on an empty stomach, and a mild backache from the hospital bed and having to sleep on my back all the time. I'm glad to have a comfortable recliner. Right now it is the most comfortable place to sleep.

Considering the severity of the surgery these are all minor issues. Something I am thankful for as I now go back into the waiting room. The Dr. estimates I have roughly a 50/50 chance that my bicuspid aortic valve will fail in my lifetime. Still, he thinks it is likely minimally invasive valve replacements will be done more in the future, and I think Cleveland Clinic often does them now. My Dr. has done a few already, though I think for those that could not have OHS. In the meantime, the valve has done well for me and my echo readings were good (pre-surgery) and I've read that this is a predictor for better results post surgery. If I had signs of stenosis or regurgitation, or if the Dr. found issues with it during surgery, it would have been replaced with an On-X.

Re. heart rate monitoring, I recently purchased a Sportline Duo 1060 and am very happy with it. It has the functions I want in a watch, can take heart rate by touch without a chest strap, and has a chest strap option as well, and it's water resistant enough for swimming. So it is easy to take heart rate anytime I want, and it can even average the readings when taken by touch. When I am planning a walk (or in the future other exercise) I can add the chest strap to get continuous readings as well as avg, max, etc. I don't think it integrates with smart phone apps but I was looking for something that could do everything by itself and could be used with and without the chest strap.

You sound great, Don! It's so good to read a positive post. I wish you had dodged the breathing tube trouble. That was a big fear of mine pre-op, but I had no issues. Best wishes for a continued fast recovery.
Mary

Nice job, Don! I'm glad your recovery is proceeding along "textbook" lines -- it gives some of the folks in The Waiting Room hope that their post-op recovery can go well, too.

Thanks for posting.

Had a bump on the road to recovery. Woke up in the middle of the night with a pulse of 150 and irregular (Afib). On call Doc Rx'd an extra dose of Metoprolol and if that didn't stop it in a couple hours to come in to the Hospital. So a couple hours later at the hospital they hooked me back up to all the electrododes, IV, etc that I was so glad to get rid of just a couple weeks ago. They gave me another beta blocker via IV and the AFib stopped within minutes. I was released after a couple hours with a higher Rx for the daily beta blocker.

I've had a heart flutter lasting seconds before but this was my first experience with Afib lasting hours. I guess it is not uncommon following surgery, but I hope it doesn't become recurrent.

Afib can happen initially, the good news is that as your body recovers it is likely to not happen anymore. Keep on working that heart through the hear-rate ranges, and it will all go back to normal pretty soon. I picked up a pulse-oximeter on amazon to get precise heartrate when I need it. Works like a charm.

GymGuy, can you make recommendation for brand/model pulse-oximeter that I could look into?

Does anybody know of a type of watch, meter, etc. that will detect arrythmias such as AFIB?

As I mentioned in the first post, I recently purchased a Sportline Duo 1060. When I am in Afib it shows my heart rate in the 140-150 range. Rarely it will fail to capture a heart rate at all - this has only happened when I was in Afib.

Latest posts

Back