Going to the gym

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve119

Hi i am now nearly 4 months post op, after having a mechanical valve replacement. I am looking to rejoin the gym sometime soon, does anyone know how long I should wait before carrying out cardio work or being able to lift weights?

Many thanks,

You don't want to hold your breath when you lift, because that puts unnecessary stress on the heart. Smaller weights, more reps.

4 months you should be completely healed by now. I would just start off easy and work your way back up. I did some major yard work yesterday ay 3 months post op. Go get em!

It was 7 months post op before I started swimming again mainly for cosmetic reasons, I didn’t want to scare the kids with the scar. It was 10 months before I started back at the gym. I feel great now I both swim and do gym work. :)

I was told...

I was told...

...that if you want to gauge how much you've healed, look at your scar.

I started cardiac rehab two weeks post-op, but never took my heart rate above 115 for the next 12 weeks. It was mostly cardio (stationary bike or treadmill), coupled with light weights with single sets of 12.

I was given a green light to train for a marathon at the six month mark, but I didn't do that (I know, I'm a wimp). Instead, I'm now training for a marathon relay at the end of next month, 18 months post-op. My max HR is almost 10bpm HIGHER than it was before surgery (now 182), and I feel great.

For me, going nice and slow was the ticket. Your mileage may vary!

Latest posts

Back