Going to have surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Sood, life most certainly gets back to normal. It is just a matter of time. I do not want to speak for everyone on here, but from my research it seems most everyone not only got back to normal but some are doing even better than before. I see it as you get out what you put in, and mind over matter sort of thing. You seem to have great attitude about things, I am confident you journey back will be exactly what you want it to be, which is speedy and hopefully uneventful.

Sood,

Nine years ago, my surgeon had a similar opinion about replacing the aortic valve and starting my conduit above the point where the coronary arteries connect to the aorta. He also thought it was best not to mess around with reimplanting the coronary artieries if it was avoidable. I'm glad to hear that other surgeons take the same view when the patient's situation permits.

One more thing...

The tissue valve I received at age 41 calcified in 8 years. Now that I've I had my second operation and this on-x valve for a little over 6 months, I don't really mind the coumadin. no problems so far.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Almost a week since I set the date and I'm continuing to feel good and anxiety free :)

Guyswell I was dreading reading the end of your first post because I thought you were going to say something went wrong when they left the root of the aorta in place, I'm glad your comment was a positive outcome and that you are doing good.

Good day fellow VR community! Surgery is getting closer. Less than 7 weeks away at this point. Trying to avoid getting sick because I develop a bad cough that lingers forever and Doc said he won't operate on me if I have a cough.
Been busy with work and getting stuff ready there before surgery, haven't even been able to think too much about the operation yet. Got all my pre-op appointments pretty much set next month, except waiting on the CT angiogram appointment. Tough days ahead, but if I am lucky enough to make it to the other side I'll be very grateful.

Still having what I would say is weird pain in my chest, probably once every week or two. Each time it happens I'm glad surgery is scheduled and I was being proactive about it. Been eating better and exercising to stay in shape. Going to probably start a blog to document my recovery in the near future so I can share some information with other members and anyone that can find it online.

Keep those valves ticking!

Sood, just keep a positive outlook. Things will get better. The slowest time that passes seems to be the time before surgery. But after the wait comes the prize. My valve doesn't tick, but it does moo once in a while. Best Wishes to you:)

Sood, sounds like you are all ready, just a matter of time passing, which I know from the recent experience is the worst. Having a type A personality, my mind worked way to hard and I too felt every muscle and ache with concern. I too made a big change in diet and exercise the 10 weeks before my surgery that helped me shed 20 lbs, I think my worry and self induced stress played a part in that too. I didn't work during those 10 weeks waiting, I tried my best to go out and enjoy being part of the things I love, watching my sons play hockey, dinning with my wife, movies, those things helped the time pass.

Now at 3.5 months post surgery life is getting back to normal, I have done a full month of cardio rehab in Jan and went back to work in Feb for 28 days. I just made arrangements to return to rehab today, because I'm off work for a couple more months with break up. I kind of miss the staff at rehab and enjoyed the interaction with others trying to rebuild life after heart surgery. So today, I have little to complain about, but lots to be grateful for.

So you got this one, be good to yourself, and keep in touch. Oh ya, my On-X is just ticking away like a fine tuned Rolex. I'm happy with that....

Hi Sood,

I am in the process of interviewing surgeons to. Expect my AVR to be in 5 to 6 weeks after I pick the Dr. This website is invaluable. I have learned so much here. Wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery. Trust in God has also helped me a lot with all the feelings that we go through before surgery. Knowledge is power I have learned. God's blessings to you and your family.

Sood,

I am a 28, soon to be 29 year old female and I have had both my Aortic and Mitral valves replaced (Bovine/Porcine).
I went in for my 9+ annual check up and my doctor noticed a pseudo aneurysm on my last echo. Long story short, It was difficult for them to see because the prosthesis creates shadowing on all of the tests making it hard to see the actual anerurysm/valves. I had to do a TEE, MRI, CT scan and now a stress test so we can understand exactly what is going on and what limitations if any I have. The TEE test revealed that my valves still look pretty good, but my surgeon said that they tend to deteriorate rather quickly and I will need to get them replaced again, while they are in there, fix the pseudo aneurysm. I am going to go with the same valves again, as I would like to have children. :)

I would be more than happy to chat with you. Keep positive. I was incredibly sick 9 years ago and so close to having to get a heart transplant because my EF was so low. But for the last 9 years I have lived a very happy and healthy life with my animal valves and all :)

I am from San Diego also!!! Do you mind me asking which hospital/doctors you are currently seeing? I am at the Cardiac Center/Sharps Memorial. Dr. Dembitsky was my surgeon. I ADORE HIM.
He saved my life.

Dr. Adamson assisted Dr. Dembitsky with my surgery! You are in wonderful hands!!! Thinking about you. :)

Hello missaviator! Yes I believe Dr. Dembitsky and Dr. Adamson work together. Wishing you a speedy re-recovery after your next surgery. Have you set a date yet? Will it be with Dr. Dembitsky again at Sharp memorial?
I've also visited with Dr. Baradarian, a surgeon who is now at Scripps. He used to work with Dr. Adamson. He seems like a fine surgeon as well. I'm sure being female makes this condition even trickier, because of wanting to have kids. If I were female and wanted kids I'd definitely do what you are doing. It's a shame there haven't been enough breakthroughs yet for women to have mechanical valves and be on anticoagulation meds while still trying to conceive. Hope it happens some day. Sending you positive vibes!

I'm banking my 2nd and final pint of blood today. I feel mentally numb lately as the surgery date rapidly approaches. Still trying to get everything in order. I'm putting together a home theatre with a 92" projector screen which makes me look forward to my recovery God-willing :eek:

Yes, I had Dr. Dembitsky, Dr. Baradarian and Dr. Adamson All at Sharp Memorial. I most definitely will have them again :)

I do not have a set date yet, but it could be in the near future, and to be quite honest, I think the waiting game makes it 10x harder. My first OHS was an emergency, so I didn't have time to "stress or worry." This limbo is a killer.

The most difficult part of the recovery for me was the darn breathing exercises...ugh... still brings back memories, they will make you walk right away...feels like torture but it is so you don't get fluid in your lungs I think. Other than that you will be so surprised how fast your body heals. And of course, mental mindset. Keep positive and know that this is temporary and like one of the nurses told me, recovery seems like such a hard long process, but before you know it you will be 1 year post op and it becomes a faint memory in this wonderful life. I had moments of post-op depression, feel lonely and scared, but it will pass. Just keep positive and family/friend visitors.

I will be thinking about you and praying for a fast recovery!!!

~Rachel~

The days are flying by. Trying to get everything squared away with my businesses so I can take a week off before surgery and be able to relax post-surgery. Its helped me stay super busy and not worry too much about the surgery. I have a cath on Wednesday, stupid insurance denied my CT scan but let me get a more expensive cath. I'm actually really excited about my surgery and feel very pumped up and determined. Hope it stays that way and God helps me through this.

Sood, it's a tough situation leading towards surgery. I'm two weeks out and things are getting better. Let me share this, listen to these guys about post surgery. Walking is key. I'm certain you'll do well and we are the same age, so perhaps we have the same physical and emotional obstacles. Feel free to private message me anytime.

Sood: I am day 34 post-op. I have a new ON-X Valve and they had to reconstruct my ascending aorta. Walking is the key .Tomorrow I begin walking four miles per day. Interesting that you are donating your own blood, At Penn it was not required due to how they do the surgery. They put your body hypothermic...lowering your blood and body temperature to 58 degrees. They then drain off all your blood and operate on your heart with no blood pressure. Your brain is protected by the heart lung machine. When completed there is no significant blood loss. I got my blood transfused back. So, I needed no blood from the blood bank or my own stored before surgery. Pretty neat .:thumbup: Don't count on too much movie time....you need to walk....walk... walk...!

Last edited:
Just got my date!!! May 29th!!! 2nd Double Valve replacement!!!
Good luck with your surgery, I am glad you are staying positive! It will be here and over in no time and you will be on your road to recovery :)

Latest posts

Back