Going to have surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys.

Clumsydancer - sent you a PM!
Heart - Thanks for your advice and glad you are doing well! I have heard about the hypothermic method from a separate surgeon, although neither surgeon I met with uses it from what I know. If my surgeon is using it he hasn't told me :) I'll definitely be doing a lot of walking, can't wait.

Rachel are you doing the surgery at Sharp Memorial again?

Keeping you all in my prayers!

Sood, you should be over the other side of the mountain about 20 days when I have my surgery. Trust in God. He will lead us through. Keep us all informed and blessings to you. Kim in Seattle.

Good evening VR family! I had my cath test today. I feel it was a nice little warmup for what's to come next week. I got to get a dose of going to the hospital, interacting with the staff and staying in a hospital room for a few hours. Everything and everyone was wonderful. Looking forward to getting this over with and on the road to recovery God willing!

Thanks to everyone for their help, special thanks to Clumsydancer who I've been communicating with online.

Me to sood. My surgery is scheduled May 23, 2013. Can't seem to get rid of this cough. Going to call the Dr. tomorrow and see if there is a reason for the cough. I will be thinking of you and praying you. Kim

HI Sood, We will be thinking of you in next few days. When my husband had surgery, we were really concerned about the flu...had everyone wash, etc. and kept him away from anything "fun" like grocery shopping, etc.! Post op, I kept him away from any of those common cold/flu places as well!

We are hoping your recovery is as smooth as possible. I guess only advice I can give is that everyone has "hiccups"/ "road bumps" in recovery...and life in general. I planned, and planned and prepped for homecoming recovery contingencies...then hubby was able to sleep in bed without pain meds from day one at home. Maybe due to great fitness before, tons of pillows/ wedges that weren't needed....who knows. Other issues surprised us...elevated heart rate, medications, etc... all will resolve...or you adjust with time.

Peace

How do you guys keep it together? I was fine until Sunday where I had a falling out with a close family member whom hasn't shown me any support along with a lot of other family members. Am I being unreasonable to expect a simple text message asking if I need anything?

I wrote letters too just in case. That was absolutely torture.

Also do you use the pre-surgery hibcus or whatever it's called soap all over or just in the chest area?

I would be lost without you all, thank you.

First, sorry to hear about the dust up with the family member. Sometimes they act that way cause they are having a hard time coping with what you will be going through. That say "there but for the grace of God go I" can hit home to family. Just give them a chance, but don't be surprised if they don't offer a lot of help. I had a first cousin who still does not understand that I had a valve replacement and not by-pass surgery and it's been almost 5 years.... You will come out of this surgery just fine. Expect some bumps and then be happy if they don't materialize.

As to the anti-bacterial soap. I had to wash all over with it, both the night before and the morning of. So just for your peace of mind call the surgeons office and ask. It won't hurt anything.

I shall be keeping you in my thoughts. Everything will be fine and I will look forward to your posts once you have come over the mountain. See you there....:)

The soap is called "Hibiclens". Available at any pharmacy "over the counter". I needed to scrub my entire body.....and I mean entire body. Twice on the day before and once the morning of surgery. Each bathing incident required that I go over my entire body three times. I also had to apply an ointment to my nostrils twice per day for 5 days prior to surgery. This was called "Bactroban". This required a prescription. It was to help prevent pneumonia after surgery.
If you are definitely going with an ON-X valve be sure to do the pre and post surgery surveys on their website. There are (2) $100 gift cards waiting for you. Best of luck on Friday!

Last edited:
Oh Sood, I feel your anxiousness. Glad you got the letters done. Guess it is hard for others to understand what we are going through. I find myself on this website late into the night when everyone is asleep reading all of the positive posts people are so generous to share with us. One day at a time. Try to be thankful for those people who do care about you and remember everyone here cares to.

Kim

Latest posts

Back