Going in for AVR on Aug 27th- On-X Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I wrote a response and the site made it disappear, so I'll try one more time. (I've been having this problem every other day - where I can't actually post anything.)

Day 1 for me: surgery started late and ended around 5:30pm. My husband and sister were able to see me soon after that. I woke up at about 11pm with nurses telling me to wiggle my toes and pull their hands. I had loose restraints on my wrists and the breathing tube was in. It was removed around 11:30pm and my family left shortly after. My right shoulder was the source of all the pain I noticed - a heating pad later on helped it go away.

I didn't have much interest in stuff for a few days, so I didn't need most of what I took to the hospital. The biggest thing for me was having some pre-moistened face wiipes to wash my face.

By the time I got home I didn't need anything special. It was nice to have plenty of pillows around to get comfortable and take a nap when the urge struck. I had a hard time reading (low interest, blurry vision), so watching movies on TV was nice. Oh, and it's great to have someone to walk with you 1-2x per day. At the beginning I'd say it's a requirement, just for safety in case you get too tired.

As for repair v. replacement, only go for a repair if you find a surgeon who has done a lot of them and keeps up with the latest improvements. Even the early repairs done at Cleveland had a fairly high re-op rate. They're much better now because the methods are continuing to improve.

Yesterday I wrote a response and the site made it disappear, so I'll try one more time. (I've been having this problem every other day - where I can't actually post anything.)

Day 1 for me: surgery started late and ended around 5:30pm. My husband and sister were able to see me soon after that. I woke up at about 11pm with nurses telling me to wiggle my toes and pull their hands. I had loose restraints on my wrists and the breathing tube was in. It was removed around 11:30pm and my family left shortly after. My right shoulder was the source of all the pain I noticed - a heating pad later on helped it go away.

I didn't have much interest in stuff for a few days, so I didn't need most of what I took to the hospital. The biggest thing for me was having some pre-moistened face wiipes to wash my face.

By the time I got home I didn't need anything special. It was nice to have plenty of pillows around to get comfortable and take a nap when the urge struck. I had a hard time reading (low interest, blurry vision), so watching movies on TV was nice. Oh, and it's great to have someone to walk with you 1-2x per day. At the beginning I'd say it's a requirement, just for safety in case you get too tired.

As for repair v. replacement, only go for a repair if you find a surgeon who has done a lot of them and keeps up with the latest improvements. Even the early repairs done at Cleveland had a fairly high re-op rate. They're much better now because the methods are continuing to improve.

Welcome PGARG. I'm in the Bay Area as well. I had my AVR at UCSF on Feb. 20, 2014. I went with the On-X valve. Taking warfarin is no big deal. I was very concerned about it before, but now I realize it is simple and no big deal. I forget every now and again to take a dose. I am six months post op and I am still building up my fitness. I was biking SF to Palo Alto and skiing right up to my surgery. It is taking longer than I expected to get fit. I had a previous AVR back when I was 22 and I recovered so fast, so I was expecting the same this time around. Well, it is taking longer but I feel good.

Be sure to bring the kindle. Can you watch movies on it? Reading can be difficult while you are recovering. Bring a toothbrush, toothpaste and listerine. Underwear? Who wears underwear in the hospital? I suggest shaving your head or at least a three guard. It makes things easier. Good luck tomorrow. Today is Aug. 26. Let us know how it goes.

m

Hi PGARG, I hope things went well for you yesterday! When you're up to it, let us know what you ultimately decided and if you switched to Stanford.

Hello Everyone,
Surgery was done as per scheduled, and i now have the On-X valve put in me via the mini sternotomy. Things went well and mostly as per planned. I am already home after spending only 4 days in the hospital. Pain level is not too much already. Still a long way to go and lots to overcome, but i'm keeping my confidence level up.
I will post my detailed experience in Post-Surgery Section maybe, (not sure which is the right section).

river-wear: I decided to stick to Dr Vincent Gaudiani and El Camino Hospital in bay area. Basically decided against Stanford, after they themselves conformed that Repair maybe complicated and most likely require a redo.

-pankaj

Latest posts

Back