Going back to work!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we always knew you are an angel. You are always such an inspiration. I loved reading both your posts and it just confirms how great you are. I can hear you singing now. Bless you.

We sit with them if there is no family or friends that can't. .............. at least she didn't die by herself.

Because of wonderful people like you I was able to make a very hard decision to leave my father's bedside after we had suddenly had to call in hospice (he was at a dementia care facility). I am his only child. He was an old army guy and very very duty bound. And he was a very practical man. My husband and I had arranged to drive up to Seattle for the night and move our middle son home due to his having found a new and better job here in our area which started right away. My husband took off work, got a great deal on a hotel, moving truck was all rented and it was something I knew my father would have wanted me to go ahead and do. I sat with him several hours past our planned departure time and said what I needed to say to him. Leaving him was very difficult. I got reports every few hours, I left music and books for him to be read to (he so loved to read), but driving back, 90 minutes from home, I got the call on my cell phone. I pulled over to a rest stop and called my husband and son. Then I called my daughter, who adored him and wanted to know the second I heard, who was at a wedding out of town, and our oldest son who was so incredibly close to his grandfather, but 3000 miles away at grad school. As it turns out, at the moment of his death, I had strangely burst out singing as I drove down the freeway. A very odd song, from my childhood. I can't change my decision to have left him and I will probably always wonder about it. It didn't seem imminent, though very close. But in some ways, he slipped away to help me. I don't know how I could've done it, being there. I honestly don't. The connection was just so very deep for me. He would've been disappointed in me because I would've simply fallen apart; become inconsolable. He would've hated that. I went home that night and wrote very long thank you notes to the 3 people who were present for his passing.

So, because of people like you, who are strong enough to face these moments, and who choose to make it their work to, the rest of us can find our own path through these very difficult times. I don't think you are the kind of person to judge us harshly. I just wanted to give you a story from the other side of the coin.

Congrats on your paying job!! It is good to be helpful and be paid for it! I bet you will get permanent offers from several of the schools. Someone with your gumption would be invaluable in the school office setting.

Best wishes

Marguerite

Oh Marguerite, please, please don't think I was judging you. I understand completely. Don't ever wonder about leaving your Dad, don't second guess your decision. I believe that God let your Dad pass through as an angel and touched you by having you sing a very special song. Your father understood. I sincerely believe that God puts us where He wants us. It's real hard for some people to be around death. I understand that and I have a lot of compassion for them. I always thank them for letting me be there with their loved one at their time of passing over. Most of the time it's better for family not to be in the room when they pass. It's a time of letting go and that's so hard to do for a lot of people. You did the right thing, you did what your Dad would have wanted you to do. It sounds to me like he had a wonderful supportive family. Hugs are coming your way.

Thanks, Glenda. Of course. I know how kind you are. I guess I just needed to get that out in the open... I probably should've PM-d you. You are one of the most compassionate people on here and I only meant to express a situation from the other side lest anyone reading might have an inward grumble to that one story.

I am fine. He is still so close to me (it was just back in May) and I miss him almost more than I thought I would. At the time, my husband insisted that I have a viewing in the mortuary. I was so reluctant, but I'll be forever grateful to my husband for insisting that I do it. The closure was essential for me.

Well, gee, haven't I just completely spun this happy thread out of control!! :(

You know, I just went back to work, too. Been home being the mother/housewife for 28 years with just a brief one-year teaching stint 12 years ago. I'm having so much fun, it's only about 8 hours a week until summertime... teaching at a Sylvan Learning Center. The one-on-one is just great. I love kids!! The paycheck is pretty small, but I love getting one just the same!!! :p

Marguerite

So far this hasn't interferred with my volunteering in ICU on Wednesday's. I'm still doing that too.

Sweet!

Sounds like it is working for you well ... awesome!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Things get complicated when you get past 18" ... Statler Brothers ... 'Class of '57'

Latest posts

Back