Getting sick post op - any precautions to take?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

I am 3 months post op and feeling great. However, there's a flu type sickness floating around my neck of the woods these days (like alot of places I imagine). High fever, fatigue, stomach aches, nausea, etc. My young son picked something up and was 103 degrees F last night and was still over 100 deg F most of the day today (101 degrees F at bedtime but Tylenol is helping). Anyways, I feel off tonight and am concerned I am next in line for this.

Are there any precautions you should take when you are still in the early stages post AVR? Or do you treat a cold/flu type illness as you normally would (but without ibuprofen due to warfarin)? As I mentioned I am 3 months post op, so its not like I had surgery last week or anything. But I'm just not sure if you are more susceptible to any heart/valve complications if you get ill shortly after surgery.

Thanks,
T

IMO, you should call your Primary Care doctor, tell him/her your son has flu, you are at risk and get an Rx for Tamiflu. If taken within 48 hours of first symptoms, it can be very effective. I would want to have it on hand
if there was flu in my house and I was 3 months post op.

Hope your son feels better soon and you avoid catching it.

Get your shots. They gave me immunizations for influenza and pneumonia in the hospital at the time of my OHS, and I have since gone to my doctor and got my Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) while in for a routine checkup. Of course, I also got the new flu shot this year. Simple shot, no flu, piece of cake.

IMO, you should call your Primary Care doctor, tell him/her your son has flu, you are at risk and get an Rx for Tamiflu. If taken within 48 hours of first symptoms, it can be very effective. I would want to have it on hand
if there was flu in my house and I was 3 months post op.

Hope your son feels better soon and you avoid catching it.

I'm not sure what they ended up deciding, but I remember a couple years ago, there were quite a few articles on people on Coumadin who had bad bleeding etc, because their INR increased quite a bit when they took tamiflu.

Last edited:
Good luck with NO flu T in YVR

Good luck with NO flu T in YVR

I am 3 months post op and feeling great. However, there's a flu type sickness floating around my neck of the woods these days (like alot of places I imagine). High fever, fatigue, stomach aches, nausea, etc. My young son picked something up and was 103 degrees F last night and was still over 100 deg F most of the day today (101 degrees F at bedtime but Tylenol is helping). Anyways, I feel off tonight and am concerned I am next in line for this.

Are there any precautions you should take when you are still in the early stages post AVR? Or do you treat a cold/flu type illness as you normally would (but without ibuprofen due to warfarin)? As I mentioned I am 3 months post op, so its not like I had surgery last week or anything. But I'm just not sure if you are more susceptible to any heart/valve complications if you get ill shortly after surgery.

Thanks,
T

Listen to the experts here on this forum. N

Latest posts

Back