Getting nervous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Peggy. I feel those good vibes and I know in my heart I will do well.

Question: I cant remember from my last surgery, but will I be able to wear a gown and housecoat or pajamas? I cant remember if the IVs stay in and you cant slip the gown over your arm or what. Im going to pack my bag and want to know whether to bring gowns,pajamas,etc. What suggestions do you guys have to bring along with me?

Please pass al;ong any suggestions you guys may have. I need all the help I can get!:D

Hi Alicia-

Joe never brings anything but toiletries with him. There's always bloodwork and IVs and little or big spots of blood can cause almost permanent stains on your PJs. Plus you'll have IVs, probably, and you can't get stuff over them without calling the nurse.

See if you can get your hands on some waterless shampoo. That works in a pinch, but styling will be a challenge.

Alicia,

I didn?t use anything that I had packed except for my CD player with relaxation cds? and Kiehls Lip Balm which I found was the MOST helpful thing I had brought. The hospital provided all toiletries which were not all that bad. I had tubes up to the hour of discharge so just used the hospital gowns. I did pack two small bags to leave in my husband?s car for him to bring to me as I needed but I was perfectly happy with what I had. Oh, I did use my small hairdryer on the day of discharge which was the fifth post op day.

I had slippers but those never got out of my bag, even for physical therapy. Just used the hospital ones. I felt distracted with things and my concentration and interest were off so I didn?t feel like reading, etc. Just slept a lot... I also wished I had thought to ask my husband to bring in milkshakes as my taste was off and I didn?t feel like eating hospital food.

I know the waiting is terrible. The surgery is almost anticlimactic after the long wait!

My thoughts will be with you on the 3rd.

Donna

Alicia, Nancy is right about blood etc. but you may want to bring an old pair along. I used mine after the first couple of days because they do want you to get up and walk around. Also some old pairs of shorts come in handy. Those hospital johnies leave you wide open unless you can get extra and put one on front and one on backwards. GOOD LUCK!!!! Dave

Although they don't necessarily offer them, the hospitals have pajama bottoms, which are very necessary. I rank them right after the warm blankets.

Even if you put on a gown backwards and another on frontwards, if you bend over a little, well, then--quite a show. So Jim's right, ask for some bottoms, if you're short, you might have to roll them up. The hospital here sometimes has actual robes, that are a little more modest. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Don't remember much

Don't remember much

about how I looked:D Daughter stayed with me 24 hrs. a day and guess she kept my gown closed when she walked me..:p Remember it was so hard for her to take my hose on and off. and she would put on my slippers before we went out and about. Like I said. I don't remember the operation..icu..and much about the 5 day stay. I must have been on some good stuff.:D :D Hope you have the same med..

Hi Alecia
I'm so glad that you gave me a call. I hope that I helped a bit. At Duke..you probably will be hooked up to a heart monitor. The hospital gowns have a little pocket for the monitor to fit in. I did bring gowns with me..but I never used them. I used the hospital gown and when I walked the hall I wore a bathrobe, which covered everything important:D :cool: I bought my own slippers..they have you doing about 3 or 4 a day. I would suggest you bring a soft bra (no wires) if you show any signs of "womenhood" it will be more comfortable than going without one. I did bring books to read..but never had the patience to read them..or if I did..I don't remember doing so..I was more in and out than I thought at the time.I heard from Martha today (she also had dr Glower do her surgery) and she will get in touch with you. So if you feel up to it..we will both stop by and say hello..but will call first> Try and have a Happy New Year!
Joan

Hi Joan, That would be nice if you get to stop by. Thanks for the suggestions (I forgot to ask you that on the phone). It was a pleasure talking to you Christmas Day.

Bonnie, I hope they give me the good stuff too. And I will make sure and bring a robe and/or pj bottoms, dont want to expose myself.:D

Alicia, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I know this can't be easy for you - having to go through it all again after such a short time. But, you do have prior experience going for you so you know what to do and not do. You will be fine....you will do fine....the surgery will go well....don't fret about the tubes. Tell your dr. to alert the ICU staff about your discomfort with the tubes. I just jerked my tube out of my throat when I was in ICU. The nurses couldn't believe that I had the strength to bend my body forward so that my mouth could reach my hand that was tied to the bed! They told me later that they realized I was "a fighter" and would be "hell on wheels." Well, I agreed with them on the first part, but not on the second part.....not hell on wheels in the ICU, anyway! Later on that night, a man patient was wheeled into ICU and I did get to hear the nursing staff bringing him out of all the medication and stuff - talking to him about what they were going to do, etc. I then realized that I had just panicked and didn't listen to what they were telling me at the time. Alicia, I didn't mean to go into my own saga...but I do know that things will work out great for you. I have faith in the Lord above and I know you do, too. He will see you through....never doubt that........

Alicia

Alicia

It shouldn't be much different than the valve repair you had in 2001.

Try to keep yourself busy till January 3rd, I had list of things to do to keep my mind off the pending surgery!

I also, bought myself some great smelling candle to burn once I got home since it was basically winter-time, and the house would be closed up (Yankee candles-buttercream & carrotcake) My kids also rented movies for me as a distraction from the discomfort I was having.

I also wrote in a journal everyday, you tend to forget after awhile everything you went through good & bad. It goes by so fast, Thank God

My prayers are with you,

Terry40

Terry, Its funny you wrote bout the Yankee candle. Im burning a yankee candle now "White Christmas". They are my favorite candles especialy the buttercream or Christmas cookie. Im trying to stay busy and not dwell on it. Good advise my friend.

Love those Yankee Candles!!!
Buttercream is also my favorite! It always reminds me of carrotcake!!! YUMMY!!!!:D :D :D
Alicia, I hope you are doing OK. The BIG DAY is coming soon. I will be thinking a lot about you on the 3rd. Everything will go just fine. Just try to keep occupied until then.

Take Care!
Gail

Alicia,
Have confidence in your doctor and the hospital staff. That was my key. Thankfully I practiced what they to me to do.... if you hurt, ask for drugs!!!!! I remember the event, not the pain.
I'll be thinking of you

carbo

Duke called me this morning and asked if I could have my surgery moved to Monday. They have a patient in Duke that needs surgery and they are changing the OR schedule. Of course I said yes. I would want them to do the same for me. This will work out better for me. So I go to have my catherization and pre-ops on Thursday and the surgery will be Monday, Jan 6. I will be second case on OR schedule. Thanks for everyones prayers and well wishes. It means so much to me.

Hi Alicia....

Just wanted to touch base with you and wish you the best for your surgery next week. I've been so "out of the loop" with the computer disaster, that I haven't had a chance to catch up yet. I'm sure you'll be fine.....trust your drs. and God and you will get over that mountain quickly.

I'm a Yankee Candle nut, too.....I especially love the Hazelnut one....smells just like Hazelnut coffee. Also love the mistletoe and the peppermint, but I think my favorite holiday fragrance is Sugared Plums.....deeeeelicious.

Be well, and I will put and keep you in my prayers till we hear that you've finished that climb and are over the top and home again.

Evelyn.

Latest posts

Back