Getting fitter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I think that I must have recovered a lot of my fitness recently because today I was helping a builder throw large lumps of concrete into a skip (we're having a new drive built - the old concrete was extremely thick and there was a lot of it). I didn't have a problem throwing the concrete in the skip and was lifting blocks as heavy as the builder who was getting out of breath - mind you he smokes. Anyway, I was pleased with my level of fitness !

dornole;n850572 said:
That gave me a smile to think of you tossing blocks of concrete.
I don't think the builder believed me when I said I was going to help him - he was pretty impressed ! I feel so much more confident in my health now !

I know how you feel, Anne. My wife keeps telling me not to do things when I'm helping others, but I feel not just fine, but I feel stronger than I did for several years before AVR. I'm blessed to be among those who feel younger than their chronological age, and I attribute much of that to my new valve.

I'm a couple of weeks away from a year since surgery and I'm now almost back to where I was before surgery. I'm pleased as I was very fit before surgery and, like Steve, felt younger than my chonronlogical age. I didn't like to feel so unfit as I did since surgery. I'm having an echo in early March and will compare it to my pre-surgery echo to see if my heart is as strong as it was prior to surgery - my bicuspid valve wasn't causing me any problems, it was only causing the medical profession problems !

It is a great feeling when you accomplish physical tasks that seem to be harder for other "healthy" people. I work on the second floor in our hanger. Stairs only and there are 34 of them. Most people are gasping for air by the time they get to the top. I have no problem with them and go right up. Funny. I think most of our problem is simply having confidence in our new parts and trusting them. I find that a hard workout is just as good for me mentally as much as physically if that makes sense.

Hi Terry - a workout definitley makes me feel good mentally as well as physically, any kind of physical work does that for me too, so I know exactly what you mean ! I wonder if some of us make more effort to be in good shape physically because of heart problems and therefore end up in better shape than those who've not had congenital problems ?

Paleogirl;n850875 said:
Hi Terry - a workout definitley makes me feel good mentally as well as physically, any kind of physical work does that for me too, so I know exactly what you mean ! I wonder if some of us make more effort to be in good shape physically because of heart problems and therefore end up in better shape than those who've not had congenital problems ?

I think we do, Anne. We are trained to realize that being in great shape will delay the need for surgery, and then will help us to a faster, more successful recovery. Once we get past the surgery, we enjoy the results that we don't want to ever let it go. I know that they say "Old age is a privilege denied to many, granted to few" so I'm trying my best to not only experience old age, but to enjoy life in the process!

I found this very cheering and encouraging, especially because you haven't always felt fit since surgery. I only came out of hospital a few days ago and still feel absolutely shattered (I was very symptomatic for the last 6 months), so I do recognise it may be a long process. It's very helpful to see that even if it's slow, return to fitness does happen - though I'm not sure I'll ever be lobbing concrete! Congratulations!

Wow, it's great to hear you're back! I know you were getting frustrated along the way. Now that you have your heart and breathing sorted, there's no stopping you. Great way to start a new year!

Latest posts

Back