Genetic Basis of Aortic Valve Disease - May Point to possible Therapy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this might be of interest; however, the study does not make mention of those with "bicuspid" aortic valve disease.

http://www.canada.com/health/Study+...ase+point+possible+therapy/7928738/story.html

Ottagal,

Thanks for posting,

I can only extrapolate and guess from this study that being bicuspid as well as possibly having this gene-cholesterol simply increases the chances of stenosis at an earlier age....so being bicuspid and possibly having an earlier OHS/AVR may actually be a good thing...vs. OHS at 80+

funny that there's always a positive side to things...right?:smile2:

Gil

Ottagal,

Thanks for posting,

I can only extrapolate and guess from this study that being bicuspid as well as possibly having this gene-cholesterol simply increases the chances of stenosis at an earlier age....so being bicuspid and possibly having an earlier OHS/AVR may actually be a good thing...vs. OHS at 80+

funny that there's always a positive side to things...right?:smile2:

Gil

Gil,
Sounds like a good analogy to me. :) What I do find interesting is the possible use of niacin to slow down calcification (although this is in the very early stages of the study and discussion) . I wonder if those of us with a biosprosthetic bovine valve would benefit from taking it as a supplement just in case? One never knows...

Latest posts

Back