Gastritis/ulcer and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danguy

What happens if one has gastritis or ulcer? On the one hand, one needs coumadin after valve replacement. On the other hand, as far as I understand it is contraindicated when there is gastritis.

I would think that any chronic internal bleeding problem could cause problems for an individual on "blood thinners". That, to me, would be a logical reason to hesitate implanting a mechanical valve that requires warfarin. I would have a long talk with my cardiologist.

Hi

danguy;n857971 said:
What happens if one has gastritis or ulcer? On the one hand, one needs coumadin after valve replacement. On the other hand, as far as I understand it is contraindicated when there is gastritis.

Well one only needs coumadin (warfarin) on an extended duration if you have a mechanical valve, so a tissue prosthetic would seem to be the choice. If you have a gut problem which is chronic and prone to bleeds then of course avoid the choice of a mechanical valve. Ulcers can be treated and that may be a solution. However if you have other chronic gut and bowel issues then of course that's a serious contraindication.

I agree with Dick, discuss this with your cardiologist regarding how this could be managed or simply make a valve choice which avoids the problem.

Best Wishes

But the animal valves are temporary, they should be replaced every 12 years or so.
Also, what happens if the gastritis starts after the mechanical valve replacement?

danguy;n857981 said:
Also, what happens if the gastritis starts after the mechanical valve replacement?

That's a "what if" question......what if the gastritis never starts? If you get caught up in the "what ifs", you'll never be able to make a decision.

I guess that if the gastritis causes serious bleeding problems due to warfarin they could "yank" the mechanical valve and install a tissue valve. You've got nothing to lose since you're looking at additional re-ops with the tissue valve anyway.

BTW, I had to look up the definition of "gastritis". That's a "what if" I've never considered.......and I thought I had run thru all the "what ifs" over the years.

Hi

danguy;n857981 said:
But the animal valves are temporary, they should be replaced every 12 years or so.
What if it never does?

Have you had it before? Do you have a family history of it?

As I said above, it can be managed , almost everything can. Women here have been advised to have tissue valves so they can have pregnancies. In other women her have had pregnancies with mechanical valves by managing their ac therapy.

One of those tissue valve ladies didn't have th pregnancy she was anticipating, and had to have her tissue valve removed (reoperation) due to calcification in less than 10 years.

It is not a what-if question. I already have a porcine valve for two years, and now I probably have gastritis. I don't know what will happen when I'll need the valve replacement, or what to do with the baby aspirin I take.

Hi Danguy - get your gastritis treated. Do you know what yours is due to ? Most cases of gastritis and ulcers are due to H Pylori bacteria which is very easily treated. I had a duodenal ulcer diagnosed in my 20's. Carried on with it till my mid 40's. Then I read about those Australian doctors who discovered that H Pylori was the cause of ulcers. I asked my GP for the antibiotic treatment - high dose antibiotics for two weeks - and like magic the ulcer went ! No problems since. If your gastritis is not due to H Pylori best to find out what it's due to and get it treated either way !

danguy;n857989 said:
It is not a what-if question. I already have a porcine valve for two years, and now I probably have gastritis. I don't know what will happen when I'll need the valve replacement, or what to do with the baby aspirin I take.

I apologize for my previous post. I looked at your current profile and it appeared you were awaiting surgery. I assume you are not currently on warfarin with the porcine valve. You probably have a number of years before surgery is needed again so, as Anne suggested, I'd work on the current stomach problems and put future valve decisions on the "back burner". A lot is gonna happen between now and then in valve designs and anti-coagulants. I'd ask my doc about the baby aspirin......but an 81mg baby aspirin is not considered an anti-coagulant according to my cardio. He put me on a baby asparin/day a year ago with no effect on my INR. Good luck on resolving the gastritis.

Hi

danguy;n857989 said:
It is not a what-if question. I already have a porcine valve for two years, and now I probably have gastritis.

Ahh, I see ... might be good to toss stuff like that into he original question. Not everyone memorises or rechecks everyone's bio here ... at least I almost never do.

As I mentioned its probably manageable , almost everything can be even surgery. I also know nothing about the treatment of gastritis.

I would echo Anne and Dicks views.

I don't know what will happen when I'll need the valve replacement, or what to do with the baby aspirin I take.
Well personally I stopped taking mine years ago. The large boildowns of very large research studies I have read indicated to me that for me (simple valve replacement) there was no benefit. You could easily cease the aspirin for durations on a mechanical.

Latest posts

Back